Dr. rdsqrl's Renaissance Passage: Review of the Pacific's Rome to FLL

rdsqrl

Doesn't every home need its own lighthouse?

11614479854_296780ec32_z.jpg

11659336314_88408e0e51_z.jpg

If you can't escape the sun any other way, often there's a handy lamppost to come to your aid:

11614480194_6b95c4a6d8_z.jpg

Of course, we all know the next port. Port Everglades. There are no photos here, mostly because at 8am, the sun is in the way. And it's just so sad to take disembarkation day photos -- it's like some aging Lothario valiantly buying hiphop CDs in a vain attempt to stave off the passage of time.

But, we're not done! I promised a Summary chapter, and I'll include thoughts on the onboard experience, which will encompass what I did and didn't do on all those delicious sea days. And dining. And entertainment. And so forth. Plus I no doubt can scrounge up a few more photos. Shall we meet back here again tomorrow?

By the way, I have Patters, so if anyone has any specific questions about things going on, please don't hesitate to ask. Just don't ask me to scan anything for you; I have neither the equipment nor the interest in doing so. But I'm more than happy to copy out info..

So, I puttered on back to the ship (buying another bottle of wine along the way, which again I brought on board without so much as a raised eyebrow).

And then, what’s that noise? I hear a dinging sound . . . why, it’s Captain Austin on the public address system. We might have noticed the wind, he begins with that lovely English understatement that can occasionally made you want to slap him. The wind had caused the port to be closed and this meant that our bunkering could not take place as the fuel barge was unable to come alongside. Without it, our trans-Atlantic would have been curtailed at about the Azores. Apparently it was solely the fuel barge that was the problem; the captain’s tone left the listener with the impression that if it weren’t for that fuel gauge on E, there was no port so closed that he and the Pacific couldn’t break out.

As I mentioned and lamented in my Live, the gangway remained closed. That’s right: more pubs per square inch than any other place in the world, and we were locked up onboard. I started to mutiny, then Eric at the Club Bar served me my Chairman of the Board and I kind of lost track of what I was complaining about.

The fuel barge arrived. At 3am. Right outside my window. It had a big searchlight. I may have made a rude gesture.

And finally, about mid-day on day 2, we bid adieu to foggy, chilly Gibraltar.

The pilot boat:

11614107805_1d9ae91bb6_z.jpg

Cheerio, Rock:

11614313153_f80a304cbb_z.jpg

11614110725_bb88024a28_z.jpg

And we're off to Madeira, land of the other wine starting with "m." I think for next year, "From Marsala to Madeira" or "The Drunken Passage" might be a better name for this itinerary.

More to come tomorrow . . . if anyone is still reading. If not, I'll happily continue talking amongst myself.

I , for one, am definitely not reading this. The ports look like rubbish-all those unfinished buildings in Pompeii etc-columns without a roof in the Forum? A hole in the roof of the Pantheon-were they just too exhausted or out of money to bother fixing that? What have the Romans ever done for us??

Where's the photos of Margaritaville? Diamonds International....Hello??

I guess I should cave in and read this as there doesn't seem to be anything so crisply written and gosh-darned fun on the board at the minute.

As I read your live-from during the voyage I don't recall (blame Sir Arthur Guinness) you explaining why the gangway was closed in Gibraltar nor do I recall why you love that port so much.

Can you enlighten me?

Norris

in Chic, er Michigan, to celebrate the New Year.

The captain claimed port security, but since when isn't there security at any port 24/7? And such security as there was during the day consisted of one guard checking cruise cards. One of the Rock apes could have been pressed into duty to do that. However, I am just a peon and not one of those passengers who's always smarming around the officers and crew to find out the "real story." I'm sure there are some reading right now who think they know, even if they weren't on the cruise.

I just loved it the first time I was there and I can't explain why precisely it resonated with me. It's certainly beautiful in its own way. The tunnels and caves are like nothing else. The town itself is quirky and charming, the narrow lanes are picturesque with the dramatic backdrop of the Rock. I like the multicultural history of Moors and Spaniards and English and Dutch (and lions and tigers and bears). It's the quintessential English village globalized. I don't know if I'm making sense . . . Maybe it's just that it speaks to my English DNA, a little spot of "home"; an outpost in the Empire. One that's less rainy and warmer than the real England.

I , for one, am definitely not reading this. The ports look like rubbish-all those unfinished buildings in Pompeii etc-columns without a roof in the Forum? A hole in the roof of the Pantheon-were they just too exhausted or out of money to bother fixing that? What have the Romans ever done for us??

The hole was so the Empress could go up in a helicopter and skydive with Iames Bond through it to the Opening Ceremony of the Olympics.

Love your review and also your live from. We took this cruise a couple of years ago and loved the ports and the ship but found the activities on board to be almost nonexistent. Checkers was one of the daily activities, really! My hubby felt sorry for the crew member running it as no one showed up so one day he played since the poor fellow looked so bored. Hubby won.

I would love to do this cruise again but they need a better cruise director to add some fun activities to those sea days.

Jackie

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

However, I am just a peon and not one of those passengers who's always smarming around the officers and crew to find out the "real story." I'm sure there are some reading right now who think they know, even if they weren't on the cruise.

OMG, I have to learn not to drink coffee while I read your posts. Laughed so hard I forgot I had a mouthful of hot coffee. Hilarious, and probably truth to your comments as well.

This is the Queen Elizabeth II garden, which I think is new since my last visit here.

I've been waiting for the Bermuda portion of your review, hoping to see myself in any of your pictures, but I guess our paths didn't cross.

By the way, that garden was formerly known as Par-la-Ville Park. The park is old, just the name is new. It was renamed in 2012 to mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

I'm really enjoying your review and photos. I now know what to do in Madeira next year, that scenic overlook and wine tour sounds like fun (I don't have a problem with heights :cool:).

Hi Annie, I have really enjoyed your "live from" and your review. Thank you so much for taking all the time to do them. I'm still fretting over getting to the evening trivias at 9:30. What time is late traditional?

Late traditional on this cruise was at 8pm.

Enjoying the review Annie. I don't know how to upload a picture from my phone,but if I do you'll enjoy the picture of the marquee of the local bookstore here in vero? It says, " Stuart Woods here on January 7 th "

Happy New Year !!!!!! From Stuart woods

I did a taxi tour of Madeira and certainly went to the glass floor overlook. As it happened, I was the only one there, as my taxi driver waited in the car and I must have been there between Princess tours. I did hesitate before stepping on the glass, as I had not been warned by my driver, whose introduction to the place was "You go there".

There are a number of wonderful overlooks, not all of which involve the sea as the interior valleys are quite dramatic. I was taken to a winery in one of the valleys, don't think it was the same one described. I bought a flask-size bottle of a liqueur made from chestnuts. No problem getting it on the boat, they only restricted actual full-size liquor bottles. I saw it in my drinks cabinet this morning, I must have tasted it at some point as there's about an inch gone at the top.

The market in Funchal is quite something to see. Mostly fish.

Edited by Wehwalt

I think I forgot to talk about disembarkation: it was fast. Right on time. 8.50 scheduled departure, 8.51 call for my group. Quick trip down from Elite/Plat lounge to gangway, a smiling goodbye from the security guy, and then the trek through the terminal to the small pile o' luggage (another benefit of small-ship cruising). A not-too-long wait for ICE, a cheery “welcome home” from the immigration guy, and by 9.30 was on the way to the airport.

I also have to say that on this last day, this crew was still one of the smilingest, friendliest crew ever. Let’s face it, on most ships, that last morning, you can feel the tension in the air and the smiles are definitely few and far between. Not on the Pacific; you would have thought it was boarding day, that’s how friendly everyone was until the bitter end.

Life Onboard/Summary.

Summary may be a bad name for this section. . . it might last longer than the ports part. It’ll certainly be less organized.

As a courtesy, I am going to list the daily activities from one sea day, picked at random mid-voyage.

Fitness Class [i think today’s was Pilates]

Bible Study

Bridge Lecture

Latin Dancercise [generic Zumba]

Port Talk – Bermuda

Shuffleboard Challenge

Mahjong Play

Knitter/Crafter Meet

Ballroom Dance class

Ping Pong competition

Facial workshop

Veterans Get-together

Arts & Crafts: Seasonal Card making

Bingo

Morning Trivia

Service Club meeting

Seminar: Secrets to a Flatter Stomach [i could have led this one: don’t eat so much. There, we’re done.]

Xbox Kinect video game

Card players get together

Pop Choir

Enrichmont Lecture: “Finding the Fountain of Youth at the End of the Rainbow” [i presume the lecturer, Cynthia Venables, was arrested shortly afterward for metaphor abuse.]

Margarita demo

Buy a Duty-Free Watch event

Texas Hold Em Poker Tourny

Bridge

Question Scavenger Hunt

Champagne Hoopla

Line Dancing

Movie: Jobs

Scattergories play

Red Hat Society meeting

Tea

Carpet Bowls

Uno players get-together

AA meeting

Afternoon Trivia

You can make your own judgment about whether you consider any of those activities worth your time; I’m only reporting them. I attended exactly one of the above, same as every sea day: pm trivia.

If you think I puttered around on land, you shoulda seen me onboard the ship. I had a very specific agenda for this cruise: read as many novels as humanly possible. Since the day I went ABD, I had been storing them up like an OCD squirrel who’s just been told that the factory has discontinued acorn production, all in anticipation of the glorious day when reading for pleasure would no longer be accompanied by huge pangs of guilt for not doing dissertation-related work. [Why, yes, I could make that sentence longer, thank you for asking.]

I rotated between three spots on the ship: On cool/overcast days, I could be found in one of the cushy leather loungers in the library. On sunny days (of which there were far more), on a deck chair by the pool, getting up only to swim and to move the chair around to face the sun’s movements. And, of course, at sunset, in a lounger on the promenade deck, with my mocha in hand. In total, counting pre-cruise time in Rome, I got through 22 books.

Thirteen of those were on my brand-new Kindle. Which I love. Love, love, love, love!! So, to those like me who are afraid of/allergic to technology, I heartily recommend the Kindle. It seems idiot-proof: it works as advertised, and it was even very easy to log on to the Pacific’s internet.

Speaking of electronic devices -- plugs: Two at desk, so I could charge my Kindle and use my hair straightener at the same time.

The cabin décor is a little busy: carpet/sofa/drapes, all a different print. Not what I would have chosen, but I did like the blue and gold colour scheme. In photos, the cabins look stuffy, probably from the dark wood and busy fabrics, but in person they are light and airy.

Very responsive temperature control in my cabin.

I actually like this ship's bad hairdryer better than the bad hairdryers on the other ships. At least the insufficient air flow is forced out of a narrower nozzle, so you can direct that weak puff of air to one hair segment at a time.

Lots of storage space in this bathroom: three shelves behind the side mirror and then three glass shelves in the opposite corner to the right of the hairdryer. Plus the under-the-sink shelf.

11614855686_61cbb8fb7e_z.jpg

Pillow chocolate time:

11614855926_d686448f3f_z.jpg

Also, that wine in the photo was the red wine I purchased at the Florio winery in Marsala. Absolutely delicious and only 8E. It's really a shame I neglected to write down what it was called.

Edited by rdsqrl

I alluded to three stewards in my review. Yes, three. Stewart 1, whom I met on embarkation day, lasted less than 12 hours; the next morning as I was leaving my cabin for my excursion, his replacement introduced himself. “What happened to Stewart 1?” I asked.

“He went upstairs,” was the reply.

Stewart 2 didn’t expand on that, so I’m not clear on whether “upstairs” referred to an assignment on deck 6 or an ascent into heaven. Fast forward to two days later, our first sea day and time for some much-needed sleeping in. When I finally emerge from my cabin feeling somewhat guilty for having slept in til 10, Stewart 3 ambushes me in the passageway to introduce himself. He claims he is my permanent steward; I have my doubts but greet him cheerfully. And press him for the extra hangers Stewarts 1 and 2 have refused to provide. I think he was hoping for a little more chitchat, but by the third time around, I was pretty much over the ‘nice to meet you’ happy talk with cabin stewards. He did provide the hangars, ultimately, but retaliated by forgetting to leave me pool towels 80% of the time. I took my revenge by leaving the cabin neat, so he’d feel guilty about his revenge. And so we carried on in our passive aggressive paso doble.

He was actually a good steward who had the cabin made up in a jiff on sea days, never disturbed me at turndown but seemed to know intuitively when I had left the cabin for the dining room, and kept me well-stocked with soap (I still have flashbacks to MaryAnne on the Coral, who apparently thought, even some 50 years after VJ-Day, that soap was still being rationed.).

Ship in excellent repair, except for the usual rusty spots here and there. Seriously, one woman on embarkation day was heard saying how filthy the ship was. Honestly, who are these people? You could eat off the floor in nearly every public space on this ship. In fact, the ladies loo forward on Deck 9 was the cleanest public bathroom I have ever been in. I wanted to take that attendant home with me in place of my current maid service.

There were very few children/young adults onboard. I saw one baby-ish (1 year old?) boy, one toddler boy, a girl of about 6 or 7, and a couple teens. Plus a handful of people in their 20s. Otherwise, the average age was probably 60s-70s, or at least based on my totally scientific-based method of counting white heads one night while waiting for the show to begin.

Along with age comes maturity (well, sometimes). And proper attire. Formal nights were respected, and participated in by most of the ship – not the sea of empty tables you sometimes find in the dining room. Definitely a tux/dark suit crowd. Lots of nice dresses (including mine, needless to say). Unfortunately some people’s last night attire went way downhill – I’m talking to you, man in the nasty baggy dirty-looking jeans w/ suspenders.

Staff was almost uniformly great. Even the people at the Purser’s Desk were friendly and helpful. The one exception was one of the assistant cruise directors, Matt. He was not friendly and was in fact quite snippy the few times I ran into him. Plus, I saw him being rather rude to one of the bartenders at the Panorama Bar. She also made a face as she turned away; I’m guessing he’s not any more popular with the staff than he was with me.

Our Bermuda day was also a day for crew drills. This drill featured a “fire” on deck 3 aft, report to muster stations, and an abandon-ship call. Lifeboats are just so cute, aren’t they?

11614468124_d3aa1513bd_z.jpg

Let’s talk about food! Overall, I’d give it a solid A- . . . the dessert menu some nights in the dining room lost them a few points. I believe I covered that in my Live, so I won’t dwell. Except to say this. More chocolate; less weird stuff.

The goat cheese soufflé was divine. The eggplant parm was excellent. I got lots of anchovies in my Caesar salads (sometimes on other ships, they’re hoarded and measured out with an eyedropper. If you could fit an anchovy into an eyedropper.). I had a steak one night that was meltingly tender (I think it might have been the night of the Surf ‘n Turf menu, the final formal night). I have observed a slight decline in the quantity (not quality) of green veggies alongside entrees. I miss this. Yeah, yeah, I know, I can order the steamed veggie plate. But, you know, sometimes a girl just wants a half-dozen full stalks of asparagus, not a bundle of six matchstick-size stalks. Especially when they’re cooked perfectly, as were nearly all the veggies.

I ordered no homestyle things. Unless you count Chicken Tandoori (I mean, it’s homestyle in Mumbai, right?). Which was delicious, although the colour was alarming. If the port of Civitavecchia is missing a few traffic cones, I think I know where they went to . . . .

Also, and this truly makes it a red-letter cruise, I had my first-ever slice of Princess pizza. On “seafood day” in the buffet, I tried a slice of Tarantina pizza. If that’s the same one as in the new Alfredo’s, my next cruise will definitely be on a ship with that venue!

My lunch every day was some variation on this basic theme:

11614833886_d2f7213bec_z.jpg

And, of course, around 3.30, here came the cookies and milk cart out by the pool.

Speaking of pools, I got over the whole saltwater thing because, mirabile dictu, the pool water was warm. Yes, warm! Okay, one day it was sorta chilly, but then it warmed back up again. The warmest pool water I have ever experienced on any Princess ship. Am I babbling? You bet. I hate cold pools; this was the best part of the whole cruise. Well, no. But, yes, sorta. It’s a small pool, so if there are three or four people in there already, you have to manage your descent into the water carefully. With the walls of the two hot tubs rising up out of both sides of the pool, it felt a little claustrophic. Maybe you can see what I mean in this photo: note how the curved blue wall of the hot tub intrudes into the rectangular pool space:

11659229543_b081599c7c_z.jpg

Things were generally very quiet poolside this cruise. Partly the weather – only the last couple days was it probably warm enough for most people. Not diehards like me, who will be out sunbathing as long as there’s no actual risk of frostbite. But even on those warm days, there was no live music around lunchtime, which I seem to recall from the larger ships.

A forlornly empty stage:

11614474124_9f80457d8a_z.jpg

However, that may have been a blessing in disguise. The band which played for sailaways was, hm, less than optimal. It was actually a duo, called the Apollo Duo, and the musician/keyboardist guy was good. The singer was, hm, less than good. She had very odd phrasing and it was difficult to understand her (good enunciation is important even for solo singers, a lesson she clearly never had. Along with basic sightreading and tempo-keeping . . . ). I didn’t recognize most of their songs until they were halfway through them. If then. Very poor choice.

There was also another band, Walking Miracles. I never laid eyes upon them. Truly. 18 days aboard and our paths never crossed. Very odd.

I can’t speak much to the rest of the onboard entertainment as I only go see comedians (after dinner) and the odd production show. Al Katz was very funny; his replacement, Tom Briscoe, less so. Motor City was good (and new to me; I don’t believe I’ve ever seen it before). The pianist in the Casino Bar, Sammy Goldstein, was excellent. He had a coterie of little old ladies who worshipped him.

The Sherlock Holmes trivia he did, which I mentioned in my Live, was more like mad-libs, where you had to fill in the song title to finish the sentence. It was a clever way to do Name that Tune-type trivia, although after a few cocktails, you tended to lose the thread of the mystery. When I say “you,” I of course mean “not me, just some hypothetical person who is might be drinking Chairmans of the Board.”

Oh, I promised a reading list. Well, maybe not promised. Threatened. Anyway, here’s the themed reading I did to prepare for the cruise, avoiding guide books and monographs in favour of reading more atmospheric/more fun stuff:

John Grisham, Playing for Pizza

Robert Harris, Imperium: A Novel of Ancient Rome

Robert Harris, Pompeii

Lindsey Davis, The Accused (part of a series; if you’re interested, start at the beginning with Silver Pigs)

Edward Bulwer-Lytton, The Last Days of Pompeii

Mark Kurlansky, Salt: A World History*

Carlos Ruiz Zafron, The Shadow of the Wind

Paul Bowles, The Sheltering Sky

Robert Goddard, Past Caring

Benjamin Wallace, The Billionaire’s Vinegar* **

*Non-fiction

**Not set in any of the places this cruise visited; however, its discussion of the finer points of wine-making and wine-ranking gave me helpful background from which to contextualize some of what our guide talked about at the Marsala winery in Sicily. If you’re even remotely interested in wine, I recommend this book.

If you want the titles of the 22 books I read on the ship, I can list those, too. I’m here to serve.

And we’re done. Until I remember something important I forgot.

Questions?