Caribbean - Holland American ship

beshears

We did the HAL Art Tour excursion on St. Martin earlier this month and it was one of the best Caribbean non-beach activities we've done.

We visited five artists in their homes or galleries. One was in a hilltop mansion overlooking the French side bay, one was a famous folk artist's gallery, etc. It was both relaxing and interesting, so if you're considering St.M., give it a look.

Edited by tangerinebunny

Our favorite Caribbean cruise so far is the 11-day "Wayfarer" on the Noordam. Beautiful ship and a great itinerary. Our favorite island (other than Half Moon Cay, which is a "given") is St Thomas because of its easy access to St. John and Tortola.

We are thinking of cruising to the Caribbean this next year. Do you have a favorite island in the Caribbean, and if so, why do you like visiting this island? What ship on the HAL did you cruise on?

Ahoy!

We've enjoyed visiting the Caribbean on HAL on several trips.

However, if you'd like to experience the smaller islands with a smaller ship I'd recommend the Star Clipper Line for the full experience (primarily full sail, minimal motoring).

In answer to your question, the islands, regardless of port calls & berthing times, are all great. You will not be disappointed.

Have a great cruise.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob

My vote is for San Juan P.R. if HAL still goes there. You have Old San Juan, beaches, rain forest, forts, shopping, historic buildings, rum factory and of course the covered bar at Barrachina.

Used to love departing from there, come in a couple of days early to explore the island (Ponce, Dorado etc.) and then sailing late at night past the lighthouse and into the dark night.

My vote is for San Juan P.R. if HAL still goes there. You have Old San Juan, beaches, rain forest, forts, shopping, historic buildings, rum factory and of course the covered bar at Barrachina.

Used to love departing from there, come in a couple of days early to explore the island (Ponce, Dorado etc.) and then sailing late at night past the lighthouse and into the dark night.

I agree with 'Ralph' - love San Juan. It has one of the nicest sail in's and sail a ways to be seen!!!

As long as a ship stops there I am happy. Also love Curacao - another beautiful view as you sail in.

Ships - it really depends upon what you like. Some like the newest ones. We prefer the smallest ones. that being said we enjoyed our Westerdam cruise last year so much that she has been moved to #3. Our favourites right now are the Prinsendam, Maasdam & Westerdam. Now, I wouldn't book the Prinsendam for a Caribbean cruise - you sail her for the unique itineraries and pay the price :) but the other two have served us well in the past so we will hop on them again;)

We did the HAL Art Tour excursion on St. Martin earlier this month and it was one of the best Caribbean non-beach activities we've done.

We visited five artists in their homes or galleries. One was in a hilltop mansion overlooking the French side bay, one was a famous folk artist's gallery, etc. It was both relaxing and interesting, so if you're considering St.M., give it a look.

So glad to hear this! With six ships in port the same day we're there on the Noordam, I felt the need to book a ship's tour (the only one I've booked) and I picked this one based on the rave reviews. I think it will be a great one for both mom and I. Did you buy anything? Do you get food or a chance to eat on this tour?

If you're going to the Caribbean, you have GOT to go to Hal's private island Half Moon Cay..........it's the best island in the Caribbean and I have plans to live there one day...........just got to talk Holland America into letting me. :)

I don't care which ship, but you've got to go to Half Moon Cay!

We also did this tour and it was wonderful. It was great to meet the artists and see where they work and live.

Hello everyone, thank you for responding to my question. Happy New Year to you all.

I enjoyed reading all your responses, but I am not able to take more than a 7 day cruise, as I am still working. The longer ones sound nice, but I'll have to wait until I retire. :)

I didn't mention, but we like the beach and sight-seeing. We like to check out the islands and their culture.

For the ships, we like the main dining, and like minature golf.

If you think of anything else to add to this forum, please do so.