My observations: Royal vs. Holland

jimicaj

I can't believe I overlooked this...but after sleeping in my own bed, I remembered how sleeping on the HAL beds are like sleeping on a cloud. You might as well sleep on the gang plank on RCI. I tried to take our HAL mattress with us when we disembarked but security gave me the stink eye when I started dragging it down the hall.

Stateroom:

We didn’t find any major differences between furnishings in the staterooms. My only complaint is the “tube shower” on RCI. Holland was equipped with a full tub in the ocean view room, and we found the tube shower to be very small and inconvenient. It also made the overall size of the bathroom much smaller. However, we felt the closet, although smaller on RCI, was better organized than on Holland. Our stateroom attendant was excellent. There were far fewer towel animals but that isn’t a huge deal to us. We did find it odd that there seemed to constantly be carts and bags of dirty towels in the hallways on RCI. On Holland, we rarely saw our stateroom attendant and rarely (if ever) would he have a cart out in the hallway. They were very fast and efficient on Holland, and seemed to use a nearby room to retrieve the supplies they needed, which kept the hallway free of clutter. Holland attendants just seemed to know when we would be out of our room and took care of things when we were out and about. I would choose a Holland stateroom over Royal just for the convenience of such efficient stateroom attendants and a better shower.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Thank you for the comparison. We just got off our 6th RCL cruise and were very dissapointed especially in the food and MDR service and many of the negatives you point out were quite evident.

We are looking ar HAL for our next cruise.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

The statement about the carts in the hallways is a 100 percent true, seems like every time we came out of our cabin there was someone in the hallway with a cart. Also I was really disappointed with the pool decks. super loud music and super crowded on sea days. Windjammer in the morning same thing, crowds. This was my second and last RCCl cruise. I dont surf anymore, I dont climb rock walls, dont ice skate, and I dont need characters, apparently they do the same promenade parade on every RCCl ship with a promenade. Did like the people watching sitting at the pub on the promenade, but I can do that at a shopping mall. Had the Allure booked for a cruise in May, then starting thinking, do I want to go to Falmouth, Haiti, and Cozumel again...........decided to cancel

Thanks for the report, well written! Have sailed RCCL once and HAL 3 times. My wife needs a tub for physical reasons and HAL has them. On RCCL you have to have a suite to get a tub we love the smaller ships, as well. Sailed the Statendam, Eurodam and Westerdam.

The statement about the carts in the hallways is a 100 percent true, seems like every time we came out of our cabin there was someone in the hallway with a cart. Also I was really disappointed with the pool decks. super loud music and super crowded on sea days. Windjammer in the morning same thing, crowds. This was my second and last RCCl cruise. I dont surf anymore, I dont climb rock walls, dont ice skate, and I dont need characters, apparently they do the same promenade parade on every RCCl ship with a promenade. Did like the people watching sitting at the pub on the promenade, but I can do that at a shopping mall. Had the Allure booked for a cruise in May, then starting thinking, do I want to go to Falmouth, Haiti, and Cozumel again...........decided to cancel

Sorry to see you cancelled your Allure cruise. She (and Oasis) are like no other ships afloat! Who cares about the ports - we never even got off the ship!

Lots of interesting comments...I just booked the Eurodam yesterday and have Royal Carib. cruises this March and in 2015. It will be our third HAL cruise , all on Eurodam.We like the ship! Saying that , we also love RCI.We are Diamond members and many perks with that, balcony discounts, nightly free drinks event/Diamond lounge, priority embarkation,etc.. Our last few cruises have been on the BIG ships (Allure,Liberty,etc.). While there are lots of people, it didn't seem crowded unless leaving a show. Everyone sees things differently. I would say RCI is great for families and active people...so much to do on the big ships. Having been there, done that, we prefer the more relaxing cruise ships....HAL's Eurodam or RCI's Jewel for example. These size ships are more like "cruising" ! I would rate Celebrity and HAL very comparable and geared toward the older cruiser, while Royal goes after the family, active crowd. All other things are so subjective,.... food, entertainment, beds, service, crowds, public areas,activities. After a number of cruises and looking back, I don't recall so much good or bad about a ship, other than ...did I have a good time! A great dinner, a nice waiter, enjoyable tablemates, excellent weather, no rocking of the ship, attitude of the crew (and the cruisers), a fantastic singer, ... to me it all made for a memorable cruise or not. You can always find some fault in any cruise. Enjoy yourself and have fun!

Sorry to see you cancelled your Allure cruise. She (and Oasis) are like no other ships afloat! Who cares about the ports - we never even got off the ship!

Good for you! :rolleyes: Although there are many others who appreciate/care about the ports & enjoy getting off the ship! ;)

I care about the ports. Did Oasis once and never will again. Too many sea days and the ports were only so-so. We were often bored on the ship itself since it really didn't cater to our tastes. The few activities we tried to participate in always ended up canceled due to lack of participants (were the only ones showing up).

I have taken 4 RCCL Cruises and the Majesty was our first cruise. Lot of memories there we had a fantastic cruise. On the Voyager of the Seas we actually ran into him again and it was great.

Entertainment and Activity are where RCCL shines. Beautiful gyms, Rock Climbing Walls, and Ice Skating. Bumper Cars coming soon I hear. Food and Service have always been RCCL`s downside.

I will not book another RCCL Cruise again and here is why. First and foremost the new tipping policy. You must charge them to your onboard account and we live in Peru and my Housekeepers Daughter is a Purser with them. She told us that RCCL is taking a cut and she explained how she knows it makes sense. HAL let's you decide if you want to charge them or give them directly and I usually elect to give directly. Also, RCCL staff has gotten indifferent we saw that on our last cruise in 2006. Nice ships are great crappy service is not. Bye bye RCCL. Just my thoughts and only my thoughts.

I think that much depends on one's personal preferences.

We are not in any way attracted to Oasis of the Seas, but neither would we consider a Veendam cruise. Both for different reasons.

Edited by iancal

I

I will not book another RCCL Cruise again and here is why. First and foremost the new tipping policy. You must charge them to your onboard account and we live in Peru and my Housekeepers Daughter is a Purser with them. She told us that RCCL is taking a cut and she explained how she knows it makes sense. HAL let's you decide if you want to charge them or give them directly and I usually elect to give directly. Also, RCCL staff has gotten indifferent we saw that on our last cruise in 2006. Nice ships are great crappy service is not. Bye bye RCCL. Just my thoughts and only my thoughts.

But are you aware that by tipping directly, these tips are not actually going to them? Others more knowledgeable can comment on this, but it is my understanding when you refuse the daily hotel charge on HAL, any direct tips must go into a general fund. Also, you are cutting out the money to all the service people behind the scenes. Further, you have to give a reason, and the service people will be informed. As others will tell you, this is really not fair.

Thank you for a well written and balanced comparison from your point of view. As you can see from my signature, I have cruised once on RCCI and have overwhelmingly chosen HAL as my preferred cruiseline. My reasons closely mirror yours. We did meet some great folks and had a fun time on our one RCCI cruise though.

I really do wish HAL was more innovative/creative in the area of small venue evening entertainment. Among other things, the performance times need to be staggered so guests can migrate from one area to another for continued entertainment options.

I totally agree about the shower, bed, cabin steward and hallway observations. HAL wins hands down!

One other observation about my RCCI experience....I was impressed enough with their programs for children that my Dear Sis and I seriously considered a family cruise might be appropriate. We each signed up for Crown & Anchor and never heard another word from RCCI. Decided if they didn't want our business, we didn't want them either. HAL got our reservations for a family cruise for twelve a few years later.

Edited by the2ofus
Added info.

[quote name='iancal']I think that much depends on one's personal preferences.

We are not in any way attracted to Oasis of the Seas, but neither would we consider a Veendam cruise. Both for different reasons.[/QUOTE]

Now you've got me curious since Veendam is our next cruise. What is the issue you have with it?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

The RCI website is slightly more reliable than the Obamacare website. The RCI thread is full of frustration with their site.
[quote name='the2ofus']Thank you for a well written and balanced comparison from your point of view. As you can see from my signature, I have cruised once on RCCI and have overwhelmingly chosen HAL as my preferred cruiseline. My reasons closely mirror yours. We did meet some great folks and had a fun time on our one RCCI cruise though.

I really do wish HAL was more innovative/creative in the area of small venue evening entertainment. Among other things, the performance times need to be staggered so guests can migrate from one area to another for continued entertainment options.

I totally agree about the shower, bed, cabin steward and hallway observations. HAL wins hands down!

One other observation about my RCCI experience....I was impressed enough with their programs for children that my Dear Sis and I seriously considered a family cruise might be appropriate. We each signed up for Crown & Anchor and never heard another word from RCCI. Decided if they didn't want our business, we didn't want them either. HAL got our reservations for a family cruise for twelve a few years later.[/QUOTE]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app