Seasickness AFTER cruise, not during!?!

Cruznjuly

Hi all,

So on our last cruise (June, CCL Inspiration) we encountered very rough waters on the way back from Ensenada. (People slipping off barstools, etc) It didn't bother us in the least, even made for a few funny moments.

However, upon returning home, all of us felt a little dizzy/off balance. Chalked it up to sea legs, it's happened on all of our cruises prior, and after awhile everyone felt better except my wife. She felt dizzy and slightly woozy for over a week. She looked it up and was scared it would be with her forever, but it finally thankfully subsided.

BTW- Went to dr and he gave us the "rest up, drink water" speech. Figured you experienced cruisers have more tips than he.

We have read about taking Bonine while on cruise to prevent this, but that seems silly since it's not needed ON the cruise.

Any other ideas or suggestions? Willing to try anything but she's rightfully hesitant to take medication for a week.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

So on our last cruise (June, CCL Inspiration) we encountered very rough waters on the way back from Ensenada. (People slipping off barstools, etc) It didn't bother us in the least, even made for a few funny moments.

However, upon returning home, all of us felt a little dizzy/off balance. Chalked it up to sea legs, it's happened on all of our cruises prior, and after awhile everyone felt better except my wife. She felt dizzy and slightly woozy for over a week. She looked it up and was scared it would be with her forever, but it finally thankfully subsided.

BTW- Went to dr and he gave us the "rest up, drink water" speech. Figured you experienced cruisers have more tips than he.

We have read about taking Bonine while on cruise to prevent this, but that seems silly since it's not needed ON the cruise.

Any other ideas or suggestions? Willing to try anything but she's rightfully hesitant to take medication for a week.

Thanks!

Totally normal. It's called mal debarquement syndrome. Sort of motion sickness in reverse. It's the inner ear learning that the ground is solid. Yes, it's perfectly acceptable to take Bonine if it's severe enough that it's affecting your life.

I've have varying episodes of it. Most cruises I get it for just a couple of days afterward. Not bad, just an occasional feeling that the room pitched. One cruise, I felt like I was still onboard for about a month. Bad enough that I needed to be touching something (wall, chair, something) with my hand at all times or I definitely was swaying.

Edited by Shmoo here

Hi all,

Thanks!

I get that every now and then. The cure is to take Bonine/Meclazine. Be sure to stay hydrated and it should be OK after a few days.

So she should take it the entire week while on the ship, or just if she experiences it when we disembark?

Does she have a problem while on the ship? If not, if it were me, I'd not take it on the ship, but start taking it like the last day onboard and for 2 or 3 days after the cruise.

Also, the drinking water is a very good idea. Keep hydrated.

But, please, have her talk to the doctor about this method.

Does she have a problem while on the ship? If not, if it were me, I'd not take it on the ship, but start taking it like the last day onboard and for 2 or 3 days after the cruise.

Also, the drinking water is a very good idea. Keep hydrated.

But, please, have her talk to the doctor about this method.

As I said in my OP, no issues while on the ship at all, and we DID talk to the doctor. Two, actually. I'm just asking what has worked for the experienced cruisers on this site. Cheers! :)

As I said in my OP, no issues while on the ship at all, and we DID talk to the doctor. Two, actually. I'm just asking what has worked for the experienced cruisers on this site. Cheers! :)

I rarely get motion sick on a ship and after a dozen cruises, including a 33 day, I'd never had motion sickness after the cruise. However, after our last 26 day cruise where 25 of the days were smooth sailing, after we got home I experienced motion when I was sitting and if I were standing I had to grab onto something.

I didn't do anything for it and it disappeared after about a week. I do know that others with this problem have taken Bonine for it.

Edited by NMLady

I get it occasionally after a cruise but more often after an overnight rail journey. It usually disappears after a couple of days without medication. I'm a bit wary of meclizine as it makes me very drowsy but on the occasions I have taken it, it was very effective so if I felt as bad as your wife I'd try it .... but avoid driving.