Which Celebrity "update" or news in 2013 will affect your cruise future most?

harz99

Pro Celebrity: Regularly offering drink packages as booking perks.

Con Celebrity: Not honoring the old Captain Club point system for those past final payment. Treating reposition cruisers as paraiahs on FCC and other offers.

I am elite. 540 points leaves me a long way from the next level. As many have pointed out, the elite+ benefits aren't a big deal. I agree. As I get older and less mobile, more cruising may be my future. Celebrity is nice. I enjoy it. Will I sail on Celebrity more? Not sure. I also sail on other cruise lines. Prefer smaller ships. Love Azamara. I also enjoy the smaller more luxurious cruise ships. I am amazed at the people who are at Zenith level. Where did they find the time to do all that sailing? Did they ever take a land vacation?

As for booking using FCC, I don't do it. Anytime I have attempted to book on board, the price was higher than what I could get using internet TAs. I always know the prices before sailing. Booking on board is a way to get bookings when people are in the cruising mode.

Higher prices in Europe are expected. I travel to Europe often.....mostly land trips. Except for a few places, prices are high for everything in Europe. The worst was in Copenhagen. Burger King....whopper, fries and drink cost $20+ and a small bottle of water from a convenience store cost about $7. Celebrity provisions the ships in Europe. Higher prices are not out of line.

When I decide to cruise, I research my options. Then I decide if the cruise is for me. Price, Location, ship, dates, etc. are all considered. If any of them doesn't meet my needs, it is not considered. Not all cruises are for everyone.

If you need to complain about prices, etc., rethink what a cruise vacation means to you. Most people are thankful to be able to take any vacation.

As for booking using FCC, I don't do it. Anytime I have attempted to book on board, the price was higher than what I could get using internet TAs. I always know the prices before sailing. Booking on board is a way to get bookings when people are in the cruising mode. Exactly the point of FCCs - lock in your reduced deposit and OBC and use when booking your cruise back home at a later date.

Higher prices in Europe are expected...... Except for a few places, prices are high for everything in Europe. Celebrity provisions the ships in Europe. Higher prices are not out of line.............If you need to complain about prices, etc., rethink what a cruise vacation means to you. Nobody is complaining about overall prices in Europe, the comment about prices was comparing this years cruises against next years and the effect it would have on future cruise decisions by the poster.

I'm not sure what you were trying to say as it seems nothing that Celebrity has changed will make the slightest difference to your future cruises?

You got that right. The Celebrity changes will not influence my cruising. Of course, the CC perks are appreciated. Since I am so far away from elite+ and zenith levels, I will not make my goal to reach these levels. I cruise when that type of vacation works for me. Perhaps if I were considering 2 similar cruises, I might pick Celebrity for the perks. I also take other types of vacations. Variety is nice. There are many places that cannot be reached on a cruise ship. There are also places that I like to fly in and stay for several days.

If Celebrity were to go back to selling the basic cruise without the "promos", maybe the European prices would be lower. 123GO for Europe includes 2 picks. You pay for these promos in the basic cruise cost. Maybe, the next selling ploy could be ....Back to Basics..New Lower Prices. That might attract people who look at the cost of a European cruise and do not book. It would still be high...just not as high.

The promotions that offered free classic drink package was enough to get us to book 2 Celebrity cruises.

I'm sure we are the prime target audience of these promotions. People who have never tried Celebrity but who have cruised a few times giving it whirl.

Our biggest disappointment is the entertainment. I missed the a caleppa and rather than being excited about shows, they seem repetitive. This is relatively new, so Celebrity, kindly bring back the WOW factor.

The promotions have been a headache. Yes, excellent, inventive, confusing, yet time consuming to understand. Because the FCC was not combinable wih promotions I cancelled and moved and strategized. I recently used an old one where I shouldn't have and didn't buy new ones where I should have. So where they maybe a money saving move by Celebrity, letting them be combinable to me signaled the promotions will continue to be more compelling than FCC. So in the end I am ok with the change. I like the one category upgrade. I have no idea if it is a general cc promotion or elite.

The drink package is manipulative. I have cruised three times with them and while at first I thought the promotion was not for us, it turns out we now want wine at dinner rather than occasionally and now expect two or three coffees or chai tea lattes a day. Even my husband who thought the idea was crazy now wants it. Who would have thought celebrity would now be a booze cruise.

At first I figured we would never make elite plus or zenith. However, as the last day of the aqua class or above promotion waned I did some math. As it turns out elite plus is attainable, assuming Celebrity is still where we want to spend our vacation dollars. Those free coffees have indeed become compelling.

Prices are way above other lines we have cruised. And if that continues I will be tempted to try one of those again and see how it is for us after many years away.

While Celebrity itineraries are better than they used to be, they are not as good as other lines.

We have four cruises booked. In twelve months three will be complete and then we will know if staying or shopping around is right for us.

Nothing will change my cruise habits. I book based on multiple criteria none of which includes loyalty tiers. I go by itinerary, price, ports, cabin availability. dates....you get the idea. I cruise often enough I've gotten some great perks and am at a high member tier on several cruise lines, but it's a benefit that comes with cruising , not an aspiration.

Think we have to keep an eye on the changes in entertainment on the ships. They are obviously changing lounge acts on the ships and have eliminated Smithsonian talks in Celebrity Central. Seems to me they are going in the wrong direction. What next...

Agree. Celebrity is going in the wrong direction. We are not too old to cruise and the volumes and types of music are not working for us. The need to be taller for the storage over the bed and barstools is hindering me as I'm not getting any taller.

The fitness center is less important but lounges are relevant to my enjoyment.

Personally, I'd like to see more coffee stations around the ship for many cups of casual drinking and wanders about the ship.

In room movies and ship talks with optional captions are a nice touch.

-Marisa

I'm also very concerned about Host Anne's (and others) recent observations of loud music. While the issue was virtually non-existent on Eclipse (as of last month), it seems ongoing on other X ships.

It's abundantly clear that Celebrity wants to get younger. I absolutely respect and understand the need to do so. However, IMO, they should appeal to *all* age groups and not one specific age range. This is very concerning for us, and may eventually chase us away from Celebrity. I certainly hope it does not come to this, but it's on our radar.

Hi Andy,

I had been reading your post and could only agree with the comment regarding loud music on board.

I have just submitted a review of our recent New Zealand & Australia cruise on Solstice and the loud "piped" music is a real issue that needs to be addressed quickly by Celebrity.

My review is found here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=246937