Anyone done the Austalia/New Zealand cruise?

alexandra cruiser

then switching onboard.Just want concierge ,mid ship.

Also, never even heard of Virgin Aust.air,,,do they fly home from Auckland too?Can you remember cost.?Was thinking of Air New Zealand also,but hate to fly back from Sydney,or vice versa.

:confused:

Here are some rough fares for Business...

Remember that fares adjust by day of the week and season.

These are LA or SFO to SYD or AUK

these are 1 way fares ( unlike coach fares they are 1/2 the round trip)

Qantas.........$3690 ow

Air Canada... $3825 ow

Virgin Australia...$3950 ow.....to $4780 depending on day of week

United........... $4025 ow

never even thought to take 2 different airlines.Will look into options.

May take a few shore exc.with ship,or private(so will email you later on)when I find more details.

No longer like to rent cars,esp.when driving on left.After a few near mishaps in England,etc.Almost missed the boat on one.:o

never even thought to take 2 different airlines.Will look into options.

This is not always an option. With many airlines one way fares are much more than 1/2 of a roundtrip ticket - you may want to check into that.

It is more of an option when flying with miles as you can get one way awards with most airlines or fly with one airline out and a partner back.

This is not always an option. With many airlines one way fares are much more than 1/2 of a roundtrip ticket - you may want to check into that.

It is more of an option when flying with miles as you can get one way awards with most airlines or fly with one airline out and a partner back.

While it is true that many airlines charge way more for a 1 way ticket ( some exceptions like Hawaiian) this is for COACH/ECONOMY.

When you step up to Business you pay more than twice the coach fare. However , one ways are 1/2 of the Round Trip. "Business fares are and were developed for business folks who have changing scheduled and need comfort. In all the cases I cited in fares for BUSINESS the RT is 1/2 of the one way.. NO PENALTY

Now, by breaking the flight into segments, 1 for the US portion and the other for the for the long-haul international one you can save money and stress by getting a cheap or low points coach RT from home to your International gateway . Take a break going and returning with no penalty Then Book a business class for the 8-10-12-14 hour non stop where comfort and health are most important.

So in flying from Florida... that can be done for free or at the most $350 rt. to LAX. Now we book a Qantas Business for $3690 to Sydney. Time it to spend whatever time you want extra in Sydney.

Take the cruise to NZ. and spend whatever time you might want there.

Book a Air New Zealand flight in Sky Coach $2850 to LAX. $6890 or 6540 with miles used in the USA.

Now you take the air credit $1200 . THat drops the fare to $5340 ( $2670 each way).... AND you do not have to pay the $175 deviation fee for arriving or departing late Where Oceania would charge $8000pp +$ 175= 8175

You saved $2835 pp... or $5670 for 2 by doing 3 different airlines, getting a pre cruise , post cruise and mid flight break on both ends....

Dan,

I don't want to argue with you but checking on Qantas website for a flight from LAX to SYD far out (outbound 3/9/15 and returning 3/16/15 ) here is what I get:

RT $7442 ($3690 + $3752) for above dates (or any date that for that matter that has "business sale" seats)

OW $8562 from LAX-SYD on 3/9/15 (on all dates that "cheapest" fare is available AFAIK)

Both fares are what Qantas calls "business sale" (cheapest business).

Looks like it is cheaper to buying a RT ticket and skipping the return (if one wanted a OW only).

What am I missing?

PS where did you find the Qantas business fare for $3690 for OW ticket?

Edited by Paulchili

I ended up booking Quantas P.E. for $2700 round trip out of Dallas. The plane first lands in Brisbane on the way into Sydney, but it's a short layover. Makes more since than flying into LAX for me. Coming back we have to do a morning departure from Auckland with a layover in Sydney, then non stop to Dallas. We do get in a lot earlier than flying through LAX.

I kept checking Air NZ rates and I never saw the ones listed here, but I was doing it through United that was code sharing with Air NZ.

Dan,

I don't want to argue with you but checking on Qantas website for a flight from LAX to SYD far out (outbound 3/9/15 and returning 3/16/15 ) here is what I get:

RT $7442 ($3690 + $3752) for above dates (or any date that for that matter that has "business sale" seats)

OW $8562 from LAX-SYD on 3/9/15 (on all dates that "cheapest" fare is available AFAIK)

Both fares are what Qantas calls "business sale" (cheapest business).

Looks like it is cheaper to buying a RT ticket and skipping the return (if one wanted a OW only).

What am I missing?

PS where did you find the Qantas business fare for $3690 for OW ticket?

I was looking at the Qantas site !!!! Feb 16 out and Feb 28 ( I think) Too coordinate with the O cruise from Sydney. In reading around it appeared that it was not tied to a RT purchase....

Did it 3 times it showed the One way fare Business class $3690 !!! Showed it as a sale need to purchase April 2 or sooner.

It was available on 2 different flights out of LAX daily !!!

I then went to Air NZ... because they have this seating called a sky couch...it is in essence then same as I bet You ( and I) have done in the distant past getting a whole center section to ourselves and lying down ith the days before sleeper seats I would never fly from NZ to LAX on Qantas because it is a 20 hour flight that flys AUK-SYD-LAX...

I ended up booking Quantas P.E. for $2700 round trip out of Dallas. The plane first lands in Brisbane on the way into Sydney, but it's a short layover. Makes more since than flying into LAX for me. Coming back we have to do a morning departure from Auckland with a layover in Sydney, then non stop to Dallas. We do get in a lot earlier than flying through LAX.

I kept checking Air NZ rates and I never saw the ones listed here, but I was doing it through United that was code sharing with Air NZ.

Congratulations.. you have booked yourself on the longest non stop flight in the world 16.5 hours. (Singapore used to have the title 19 hours NY to SIN)

I hope you know what your doing......This I to me would be the flight from hell even in business.... Just being in 4-5% humidity that long would be a killer.

I don't know about you but I would beg borrow or steal to break in LAX or SFO before doing the 14.5 hour from there.

I went direct to Air New Zealand... look up "sky Couch" its way better then the 20+ hr Qantas....almost half on Air New Zealand

I was looking at the Qantas site !!!! Feb 16 out and Feb 28 ( I think) Too coordinate with the O cruise from Sydney. In reading around it appeared that it was not tied to a RT purchase....

Did it 3 times it showed the One way fare Business class $3690 !!! Showed it as a sale need to purchase April 2 or sooner.

Well, you must have a different Qantas site than what I have.

After checking the One Way button this is what I see on all days around 2/16/15 (copied from Qantas website):

Los Angeles to Sydney

Depart Mon 16 Feb 15 Passengers 1 Adult Travel Class Business

• = Lowest Available

From

Los Angeles to Sydney

Date

Mon 16 Feb 15

• Previous 14 days

• Lowest Available Mon 09 $8562

• Lowest Available Tue 10 $8562

• Lowest Available Wed 11 $8562

• Lowest Available Thu 12 $8562

• Fri 13 $8562

• Lowest Available Sat 14 $8562

• Lowest Available Sun 15 $8562

• Selected Lowest Available Mon 16 $8562

• Lowest Available Tue 17 $8562

• Lowest Available Wed 18 $8562

• Lowest Available Thu 19 $8562

• Fri 20 $8570

• Lowest Available Sat 21 $8562

• Lowest Available Sun 22 $8562

• Lowest Available Mon 23 $8562

• Next 14 days

QF12 22:20 Los Angeles Duration: 16h 00m 08:20 Wed Sydney Stops: 0

$8562 Business sale

$10310 Business

$16668 First

QF108 23:55 Los Angeles Duration: 15h 45m 09:40 Wed Sydney Stops: 0

$8562 Business sale

$10310 Business

No Seats First

and this is from ITA software for both direct flights LAX-SYD (apologies as the lines do not copy and align well from the websites but the price is clear in both Qantas and ITA):

One-way: Los Angeles to Sydney - Mon, Feb 16

$8,562 Qantas Airways Ltd. 10:20pm 8:20am Feb 18 15h 0m LAX to SYD --

$8,562 Qantas Airways Ltd. 11:55pm 9:40am Feb 18 14h 45m LAX to SYD

Check it again and specify One Way :) --

Well, you must have a different Qantas site than what I have.

After checking the One Way button this is what I see on all days around 2/16/15 (copied from Qantas website):

Los Angeles to Sydney

Depart Mon 16 Feb 15 Passengers 1 Adult Travel Class Business

• = Lowest Available

From

Los Angeles to Sydney

Date

Mon 16 Feb 15

• Previous 14 days

• Lowest Available Mon 09 $8562

• Lowest Available Tue 10 $8562

• Lowest Available Wed 11 $8562

• Lowest Available Thu 12 $8562

• Fri 13 $8562

• Lowest Available Sat 14 $8562

• Lowest Available Sun 15 $8562

• Selected Lowest Available Mon 16 $8562

• Lowest Available Tue 17 $8562

• Lowest Available Wed 18 $8562

• Lowest Available Thu 19 $8562

• Fri 20 $8570

• Lowest Available Sat 21 $8562

• Lowest Available Sun 22 $8562

• Lowest Available Mon 23 $8562

• Next 14 days

QF12 22:20 Los Angeles Duration: 16h 00m 08:20 Wed Sydney Stops: 0

$8562 Business sale

$10310 Business

$16668 First

QF108 23:55 Los Angeles Duration: 15h 45m 09:40 Wed Sydney Stops: 0

$8562 Business sale

$10310 Business

No Seats First

and this is from ITA software for both direct flights LAX-SYD (apologies as the lines do not copy and align well from the websites but the price is clear in both Qantas and ITA):

One-way: Los Angeles to Sydney - Mon, Feb 16

$8,562 Qantas Airways Ltd. 10:20pm 8:20am Feb 18 15h 0m LAX to SYD --

$8,562 Qantas Airways Ltd. 11:55pm 9:40am Feb 18 14h 45m LAX to SYD

Check it again and specify One Way :) --

I am in remiss............ they are or have been changing fare rules an I am behind the curve....no excuse on my part

I then went to Air NZ... because they have this seating called a sky couch...it is in essence then same as I bet You ( and I) have done in the distant past getting a whole center section to ourselves and lying down ith the days before sleeper seats I would never fly from NZ to LAX on Qantas because it is a 20 hour flight that flys AUK-SYD-LAX...

Can you please send me these details - I'm not finding them. As it stands, I'm on Quantas PE, Flight #12 on Feb 4 LAX to SYD. Return on Quantas #124 to Brisbane, to LAX on flight #15 (PE) on Mar 2.

Can you please send me these details - I'm not finding them. As it stands, I'm on Quantas PE, Flight #12 on Feb 4 LAX to SYD. Return on Quantas #124 to Brisbane, to LAX on flight #15 (PE) on Mar 2.

I am mainly a UAL flyer and love their web/booking system As such folks like AA Qantas etc are cumbersome and less than, to me, informative.

I am sad to say that its going to whack you 8-9K per ticket !!! For that sort of money I would rent a travel video, get a stuffed Kola and a 6 pack of Fosters.

At those rates I would get a Princess or similar cruise from Hawaii or CA to Sydney.... rather than paying for a flight..... and book a Sydney to LA cruise 35 day for almost the same money

I am or was behind the curve.. Last time I got to Sydney on UAL it was for 140,000 miles First RT.... now they want 380,000. Australia is being exploited as a revenue pit.

Any way I screwed-up. Wont be the first or last...sorry

Paulchili;

Not sure what you are doing! The ship leaves Sydney on 2/12/15. To get there for a same day departure, you have to leave LAX on 2/10. Why are you looking at flights on 2/16???:eek:

It was the date for which Dan claimed to have found a fare of $3690 one way for business.

However, the date doesn't really matter as the fare is the same for all dates.

Reread my post #34 and you will see the same fare for the 2 week period around 2/16 (from 2/9 to 2/23 - including 2/10) :)

Edited by Paulchili

I am mainly a UAL flyer and love their web/booking system As such folks like AA Qantas etc are cumbersome and less than, to me, informative.

I am sad to say that its going to whack you 8-9K per ticket !!! For that sort of money I would rent a travel video, get a stuffed Kola and a 6 pack of Fosters.

At those rates I would get a Princess or similar cruise from Hawaii or CA to Sydney.... rather than paying for a flight..... and book a Sydney to LA cruise 35 day for almost the same money

I am or was behind the curve.. Last time I got to Sydney on UAL it was for 140,000 miles First RT.... now they want 380,000. Australia is being exploited as a revenue pit.

No worries, just didn't want to miss a deal like that if it existed. We will survive in PE. :) I too use UAL and the points to fly to and from for the two of us is ridiculous.

No worriers.

It happens to the best of us from time to time (even myself - I know, it's hard to believe) :D

Edited by Paulchili

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely do it. Not sure how this happened but we were scheduled for a TA in 2013 and got an offer in January fo 2013 to move to a February Auck-Syd sailing. Went from an oceancabin on TA to a Penthouse. Guess it was meant to happen

Had to do economy all the way. But it was manageable. Did 17.5 hours direct from Sydney to DFW on the way back. Worth every bit of hassle on the plane for the experience. Loved NZ and will go back to do a land tour one day I hope.

Most beautiful people and country.

The cruise was incredidible everyone needs to cruise on Oceania to Nz and Austrailia. The agony of the long flight rapidly disappears as you experience the people in both countries. I would do it again

We spent 32 days in New Zealand this past Jan/Feb. (2014) and had such a wonderful time. We cruised on a small (50 passengers) ship from Wellington to Milford Sound and then 3 weeks of wandering in a rental car on both North and South Island. New Zealand is beautiful and deserving of as much time as you can possibly give it -- get out into the more rural parts that are so very beautiful. As in America, just going to a city for a few hours does not begin to share the wealth of things to see and do there. I personally would put New Zealand in one trip and Australia in another and then no problem with Tasmanian Sea!:p Australia too is a vast land and has so much to offer. We spent a month there 10 years ago and it was only just an introduction. Our main "mistake" was only 3 days in Sydney and oh we had so much more we wanted to do.

Flights: Well my purse is not that large and so the most I can reasonably hope to do is coach plus -- which does make a difference on long flights. We broke up our flight this way East coast to LAX on Southwest nonstop. 36 hour layover with Marriott LAX. Air Tahiti Nui Lax to PPT in economy (but plane was very new and pitch didn't seem that bad) flight was 8 hours or a little less 3 nights at IC in Tahiti on a special stopover rate (I love Tahiti for a stopover-- really nice) then PPT to AKL on code share with ANZ. 5 hour flight. BE VERY CAREFUL IN PLANNING AIR AS YOU CROSS INTERNATIONAL DATE LINE AND THAT CAN CAUSE YOU TO MISS SHIP! Air New Zealand, Air Tahiti Nui and Qantas all do runs to LAX, SYD, Brisbane and Auckland daily. We broke in Tahiti, and LA going each way. My grand total for flights in Feb. 2014 was under $2,000 pp US including the flight from Auckland to Wellington and Christchurch to Auckland.

Yes I got a sale but pretty sure that sale goes on frequently. Interior flights in New Zealand are very cheap through Air New Zealand's discount site and worth looking into for a day trip to Milford Sound or Bay of Island.

Gosh I would love to be in the front of the plane but look for me in the back of the plane where I fly more often if not more comfortably.

Having sailed NZ to Australia and Australia ( Tasmania) to New Zealand

The direction does merit some consideration........ Going to Australia the ocean collides with the Australian continent making for BIG rollers for several days... Whereas going the other way you totally avoid it and in the Tasman sea you have rollers but it is a "following sea" which is much better.

So direction can be significant.

I am glad I did these cruises 10 to 20 years ago.... prices for Air was very reasonable because there were a lot of players.... Now the hype for OZ and the prices soared.... Used to be the Australian dollar was at 63cents....

About riding up front....any normal person if they launch on a 2 to 3 year savings program using mileage points could easily get a free Business ticket...planning is worth $$$$

Oh I plan alright and I save milage points on credit card but since we like to travel about every 2 months miles will not do it -- thus I prefer the card that allows me to "spend" miles on a variety of airlines and a variety of "travel" expenses.

I usually don't save up for a long time -- they change the rules of the game in points benefit etc. way to often for me the trust that what I save up will actually be worth the effort.

For me watching the price and buying from the provider of the service works. I do not want unresponsive middlemen between me and my travel plans -- I want to be the customer of the one providing the service -- most likely to be serviced well that way and recognized as a returning customer. Many upgrades and stories from my relative who is a hotel manager who "occasionally " has to disappoint a guest and he starts with the customers of another business -- online travel agencies, discounters, and others. A returning loyalty card holder -- probably gets the room 98 times out of 100/