Questions About ATL Airport

kitty9

Tried looking at the website for Atlanta's Hartsfield airport, but their information didn't answer my questions. For an upcoming cruise, we decided to fly into Atlanta and stay overnight there and then get an early flight to FLL the next morning----we will see friends from Atlanta that evening. Flights from PIT suck, so we decided to do the overnight.

So, here goes. Is there a hotel directly connected to the airport, like the one in Detroit? All we found was a Marriott, but it doesn't look like its part of the airport. It says something about a Sky Train, but I looked at the path of this train and it doesn't look like it goes anywhere near a hotel. Any info is appreciated.

As noted, there are no hotels connected to the airport. Every hotel chain known to US travelers has a hotel in the area with free shuttle service. Avoid the hotels like La Quinta and a few others that are between runways.

None of the hotels with shuttle service are more than 10 minutes away unless you choose from the group that are across I285. You won't have any trouble picking out the right hotel if you can find a map with hotel locaters.

FYI, the hotel shuttles are located at the west end of the baggage claim area. You do have to go outside and across a car rental shuttle lane but it's not far. It's clearly marked in the baggage claim area.

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately, it probably won't work for me as I'm confined to a scooter due to post polio, and those hotel shuttles aren't accessible.

I did see a Marriott that claims to be on what they call the ATL Sky Train. Does anyone have experience with that? Their info page says to take the Sky Train from the airport and get off at the first stop, where they claim the hotel is located, by some convention center.

a Marriott, but it doesn't look like its part of the airport. It says something about a Sky Train, but I looked at the path of this train and it doesn't look like it goes anywhere near a hotel. .

I did see a Marriott that claims to be on what they call the ATL Sky Train. Does anyone have experience with that? Their info page says to take the Sky Train from the airport and get off at the first stop, where they claim the hotel is located, by some convention center.

Maybe you're confusing the Sky Train with the Plane Train? The Plane Train is the train that runs between the various terminals/concourses at the airport, but doesn't leave the airport property. I've never ridden the Sky Train that I recall, but I believe it's the train that connects the airport to the rental car center, as well as the Georgia Internat'l Convention Center, which is probably where the Marriott is that you're referencing. And then of course there is MARTA... Atlanta's mass transit system, which will take you from the airport into downtown Atlanta (among other destinations)

No, we've taken the underground shuttle train between concourses many times. This Sky Train is supposedly new and does take people to the rental car places, but it also stops at the convention center.

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately, it probably won't work for me as I'm confined to a scooter due to post polio, and those hotel shuttles aren't accessible.

If the hotel shuttles aren't ADA compliant, doesn't the hotel have to provide "reasonable accommodation" such as a taxi or sending an employee in a car or minivan? Just curious...you no doubt know way more about ADA than I do!

If the hotel shuttles aren't ADA compliant, doesn't the hotel have to provide "reasonable accommodation" such as a taxi or sending an employee in a car or minivan? Just curious...you no doubt know way more about ADA than I do!

That was the impression I was under as well. It can't hurt to call the hotels and ask.

This link will show you the map of the Sky Train (as said, different from the underground 'plane train' that runs through the airport). The Sky Train also goes to the rental car center. It's accessible outside baggage claim and there's an elevator up to the train platform.

http://www.atlanta-airport.com/Airport/Construction/RentalCarCenter/SkyTrain.aspx

The Marriott Gateway's website says it's accessible via the Sky Train, you may want to call the property to see exactly what is involved in far of transit from the train to check in:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-information/travel/atlma-atlanta-airport-marriott-gateway/

I can't get a Google Map link to work for the specific address, but plug in the hotel's address, 2020 Convention Center Concourse & you can zoom into an image of the hotel's location, if I'm viewing it correctly it looks to be on the opposite side of the train track from the Convention Center:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

There's also a Spring Hill Suites by Marriott in the same area that you'll be able to see on the Google image as well:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/atlgi-springhill-suites-atlanta-airport-gateway/

NOTE: I have not used the Sky Train but often pass its access point on the way back to the off-site parking shuttle we use frequently. As said, you can confirm access with the hotel. Hope the links are helpful in addition to what you have already researched.

Edited by PRWeezer

We use the Sky Train to get to the rental car center and yes, it does have one stop before you get to the end at the rental car center, where the convention center/hotel are. You will have to leave the luggage claim area, go outdoors and cross a traffic area (not busy) to a building that houses the Sky Train. There will be elevators to take you to the proper level. Once on the Sky Train just get off at the next stop. Once there I can't give you any advice since we stay on the train to reach the rental cars. I would call the hotel and ask for specific details on the route, elevators, distance, etc.