Birthday

It will be my birthday on the last day of our cruise. Not a big deal for me, but I am traveling with my 5 year old son & every holiday (birthdays included) is a big deal to him.

What does RCCL do for Birthdays? What do we need to do to have them do anything. (I'm sure they will know...)

On Carnival, you can buy a specialty cake. Anything like that on RCCL? (We thought the specialty cake on Carnival was great BTW.)

It will be my birthday on the last day of our cruise. Not a big deal for me, but I am traveling with my 5 year old son & every holiday (birthdays included) is a big deal to him.

What does RCCL do for Birthdays? What do we need to do to have them do anything. (I'm sure they will know...)

On Carnival, you can buy a specialty cake. Anything like that on RCCL? (We thought the specialty cake on Carnival was great BTW.)

You can buy a whole birthday cake on the Gifts & Gear section of Royal's website. If you don't buy a cake, you may get a single slice of cake with a candle, but that's not guaranteed.

Thanks - is the whole cake "worth" it?

Can it be delivered at lunchtime to a specialty restaurant?

You will have to check the Gifts & Gear part of the website, but I only remember being able to specify which evening to deliver it to the Main Dining Room. You may want to talk with the specialty restaurant people once you board.

Edited by clarea

I know you can have the cake delivered to the MDR, we've done it in the past. There's also an option where you can log in to your reservation and mark the birthday as a 'special occasion'. I don't know what that gets you but it must mean something, right?

Make sure daddy knows to take junior shopping for a present on one of the islands!! ;)

You really don't need to buy a cake. Let the dining room host know of your birthday and they will bring a cake for dessert and all will sing happy birthday to you. Your ta can also make the ship aware of your birthday.

Happy Birthday!

You really don't need to buy a cake. Let the dining room host know of your birthday and they will bring a cake for dessert and all will sing happy birthday to you. Your ta can also make the ship aware of your birthday.

Happy Birthday!

We've only gotten a single slice of cake with a candle on it. And we have celebrate many birth dates on a cruise.

For my bday back in October on the explorer our cabin steward decorated the cabin with balloons and left a bday certificate signed by an officer and a bday card on the bed! In the past we have traveled during my DH bday and you can go to gifts and gear section and purchase to have you cabin decorated before you board.

You know at that age they have no idea about dates, you could have your party when you get back and he'll not know the difference.

We used to do that sometimes for Christmas when we had to work on the actual holiday and kids were none the wiser.

You know at that age they have no idea about dates, you could have your party when you get back and he'll not know the difference.

We used to do that sometimes for Christmas when we had to work on the actual holiday and kids were none the wiser.

You don't know my 5 year old.;) You know how some kids know all about Disney/Sports teams/Video games/Dinosaurs/What have you - we don't have TV & choose not to buy "branded" items or noisy (battery operated) toys, so my 5 year old reads, likes math, writing, science, numbers, coloring, & dates. He already has has 2014 calendar filled out. Trust me when I say he knows when my birthday is & if you are within ear shot, he'll probably tell you my age.

Not sure which ship you are sailing on, but you may need to prompt the staff once onboard. I celebrated my birthday onboard Splendour last Oct and although noted on our reservation, the staff only knew about it because it was mentioned to them. It may also make a difference that we ate in Chops as nothing happened on my birthday, despite on an earlier visit in the week the staff did stuff for other diners celebrating birthdays. No big deal to me as I'd rather sometimes forget the adding of another year :)

My youngest had his fourth birthday on our transatlantic crossing. I ordered a cake, which was served during our supper at the MDR. I think I paid $15, and it was big enough that our party of six ate only half of it then and finished it the next day. Our cabin steward decorated our cabin for us; we didn't ask for it and weren't charged for it, it might've been a suite perk? It was also a towel animal night and he put some of the gifts in the "scene" he created.

I'll try to find some photos...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, please excuse wonky autocorrects.

You really don't need to buy a cake. Let the dining room host know of your birthday and they will bring a cake for dessert and all will sing happy birthday to you....

Sorry but this is not accurate. Whole cakes are not provided free of charge as they used to be. One must purchase a cake now. OP, please know that I'm not trying to be negative, just warning you ahead of time so you will not be disappointed.

Not sure which ship you are sailing on, but you may need to prompt the staff once onboard...

Absolutely agree with this. So many passengers onboard are celebrating something... birthday, anniversary, honeymoon, retirement, graduation, family reunion... they do not provide cakes for all of these events, and yes you do need to remind them of your occasion. :)

On our last Alaskan cruise 2 years ago, my birthday was on the last day of the cruise and it wasn't acknowledged by anyone other than my DH and DD.

That being said, my DD celebrated her 8th and 10th birthdays on cruises years ago and they did celebrate at dinner with a cake and HBD song. This was 17 years ago though.