When should Celebrity or any cruise company disclose ...

aquaclass

I agree. There are still some "undesirables" out there on bikes, but the majority that I encounter are everyday people who enjoy riding and getting together with likeminded friends.

I think there is a big difference between 'bikers' and 'bikies', the former are bike enthusiasts, the second are normally part of a gang or code.:D

I posed a very similar question as a poll on the Princess board.

I used 10% as a threshold. My reason being on a ship say of 3600 pax, 360 would be more than enough to fill the Solarium area or a bar or one of the smaller entertainment venues.

Just my $0.02

Mike

I posed a very similar question as a poll on the Princess board.

I used 10% as a threshold. My reason being on a ship say of 3600 pax, 360 would be more than enough to fill the Solarium area or a bar or one of the smaller entertainment venues.

Just my $0.02

Mike

Interesting, what were the results of the poll?:D

Well, you just know how rowdy these gospel and country fans are! :)

Did a cruise a while back on the Summit with about 100+ bikers (motorcyclists), I was talking to the hotel director one day about it and she said with exception of the extra manpower of loading/unloading bikes at each port, they were the easiest group she ever worked with. Nicest most polite group she ever encountered, great tippers and polite to the staff. She wished every group was so nice

I try not to judge a book by it's cover. Usually when I do I'm wrong. Years ago a woman from Texas at our table (I'm guessing 70ish years old), she would wear a $10 housecoat to dinner each night. Best sense of humor at the table and she made me laugh hysterically every night. Turned out third night I found out she had booked both Penthouse suites onboard (one for herself and one for her sister). Never would of thought that to be the case.

Celebrity tends to attract 55+ crowds anyway, rarely are they the hell raisers. Always a few cranky ones, but generally pretty nice people no matter where they are from or what their interests are.

Edited by johhnnyt

Interesting, what were the results of the poll?:D

80% said they should tell you.

I received a phone call from an assistant to Alan Buckelew (Princess CEO) just before Christmas. I had sent him an email detailing the polling question and the results. They were interested in the experience we had on our last cruise that prompted my suggestion. They "said" they would look for a way to do this that did not violate the privacy of the passengers in the group. I asked how just a generic letter/email/notice sent to ALL pax stating " there was a group of X number of people on board and that certain venues and areas may not be available for general public use" would violate anyone's privacy. He jokingly said that once a letter like that gets to the legal department for approval, all bets were off.

Mike

I received a phone call from an assistant to Alan Buckelew (Princess CEO) just before Christmas. I had sent him an email detailing the polling question and the results. They were interested in the experience we had on our last cruise that prompted my suggestion. They "said" they would look for a way to do this that did not violate the privacy of the passengers in the group. I asked how just a generic letter/email/notice sent to ALL pax stating " there was a group of X number of people on board and that certain venues and areas may not be available for general public use" would violate anyone's privacy. He jokingly said that once a letter like that gets to the legal department for approval, all bets were off.

Mike

WOW!!!

I am SUPER impressed that Princess even cares.

(I'm not being sarcastic - I think most cruise lines are thrilled to have groups book large blocks of rooms .)

If the company would disclose every time 10% of the cruise was taken by a group that would seem reasonable to me.

It would also seem like nearly every group of 10% or about 300 people would in some sense be advertised "publicly" through the hosts website or travel company.

Mike

Thanks Mike, Well I won't hold my breathe for the letter or any form of notification other than the cruise is fully chartered and your cruise is off.:D

Thanks Mike, Well I won't hold my breathe for the letter or any form of notification other than the cruise is fully chartered and your cruise is off.:D

I think that it's rather ironic that most people want affiliations/groups/clubs etc revealed to them but I'm guessing many wouldn't feel comfortable at all revealing their own. As the customer relations guy at Princess said, you really can't do it without violating the privacy of the passengers in the group.

I think that it's rather ironic that most people want affiliations/groups/clubs etc revealed to them but I'm guessing many wouldn't feel comfortable at all revealing their own. As the customer relations guy at Princess said, you really can't do it without violating the privacy of the passengers in the group.

I don't find it necessary to know in any info on groups. However if they are going to change the dress code, venues availability or any other established rule then as a customer I feel I should be informed. Not about groups but about venue or rule changes.

I feel guests have a right to know if the cruise line will be blocking certain areas. We were on one cruise where the best entertainment was only available for us one night out of the 10 nights. Many bar areas were not available in the evening. I paid for the cruise and entertainment, too. Not to mention before dinner martini bar was impossible to enjoy due to seat saving for this said group.

I dont mind groups, BUT i do not feelt aht they should get special treatment. I paid just like they did. If they want special treatment and areas they need to book the whole cruise for themselves. It would piss me off to see areas blcoked off for special groups.

When should Celebrity or any cruise company disclose large groups who have made arrangements with a Travel Agency for a specific cruise?

Should it be when the group is 20% of the cruise, 30% of the passengers, etc.

Should they only disclose certain groups or all large groups?

Personally I would want to know if a third of the ship is filled with accountants, doll collectors, swingers, Packers fans, or ministers.

Any thoughts ?

I am with you, we were on Majesty in 94 for our honeymoon and 50% was a large group, they had their own shows(celebrities on board for them and no one else) different areas booked for them as well so we could not go at certain times etc......

We should be able to choose a different ship or itinerary without the info we dont have a choice put to pay and remember it was not the vacation we planned for.

I do think they should let you know, especially if the group is planning on taking over certain venues at certain times. (i.e. a specialty restaurant)

With that said, on my first Alaskan cruise there was a large group of current and retired Vancouver area police officers on board. While they did tend to congregate together in many areas, including having dinner all at the same time, they were a blast. Plus it was probably the safest cruise I have ever been on. :p

I feel this is an excellent question and great topic to be discussed. Some might feel that's irrelevant what groups are on their cruise that it may not impact their vacation.. but indeed it could. Say for example you book your family with children on a cruise that has a rather large group of openly gay men and woman or a retreat for people living with a disability or disease. If the groups presence was not made clear to all patrons on board the ship prior to sailing, it could lead to uncomfortable situations once sailing. As an openly gay man attending large gay events in public places such as Disney World... I have experienced glares from people as well as harassment... and like I said it can go both ways.. both sides can feel very uncomfortable. With this being said, all patrons should be made aware of certain situations (groups/demographics) and let them make the decision of they wish to continue on a particular cruise or to change their cruise.

Yeah, I went on a cruise one time and after boarding we found out it was a Richard Simmons "Cruise to Lose" cruise. They shut areas off a lot so those overweight people could do their exercises. I was furious especially when all the glass items in the gift shop started shaking on the shelves and we were in smooth water. Very scarey, they were shaking that end of the ship.

Usually, I don't really think it matters about a large group unless they do block off significant areas that should be open to all. Interestingly, hubby and I went on a cruise at Christmas without thinking about how many children would be on board since it was school vacation time. I was a little concerned when we first boarded and saw as many children as adults, but it didn't turn out to be a problem at all.

I have been on a cruise that was at least half occupied by a Spanish speaking group. They were all one group and took the same cruise every year. I wouldn't have changed because of the group, but I was really glad we had a suite with a private balcony. I would want to know just so I could adjust my accommodations and expectations as needed.

I have encountered a large Saudi family that was over 300 members and they had special areas for sun bathing blocked off by security guards for whatever reasons. And I believe they had no one outside their group at their dinner tables either. It made for great people watching.

I don't really care what the groups are on board. Some people get all upset over certain ethnic groups, or gay groups or transgender groups or rock and roll groups or others because they feel they might catch something from them or some other religious reason or some nonsense.

I say if you don't want to be around people that are different from you then don't get on a cruise ship. It is pretty hard to get off when you are out at sea. You could stay in your own back yard for a vacation and don't worry about encounters with other people?? No offense is meant to anyone on here but cruising on a ship is a choice. You have to know you will encounter people different than you.

I could not have said it better, and people watching is very interesting.

:D

Some groups are a pleasant surprise if the management of the group is done well. We've encountered: carpet sales, disasters at sea historic groups, ethnic societies, Spanish auto sales groups, hairstylist, plumbers, large family reunions, and more.

-Marisa

As long as the "disasters at sea historic group" isn't going to inspire the entertainment selections. I could barely handle the mother/daughter duet singing "my heart will go on" at karaoke on one especially turbulent night rounding Cape Horn. But then, it might just have been the singing that made me queasy...;)