St. Bart's

warmwinds

We booked one of the new itineraries for 2015 that includes St. Bart's, and that was the primary reason.

When a cruise line introduces a new port, do they pretty much follow through? I know they can "change the itinerary at any time" but that's usually for weather, etc., right?

Reading how small St. Bart's is, I'm worried that they will decide (or the island authorities will decide) that huge cruise ships aren't such a great idea. Or will they let the ones come that are already scheduled?

I'd probably book a different itin/ship if this one island were not included.

Are my concerns unfounded?

If you are thinking of the beach just at the away from the harbor or far side of Gustavia, it is Shell which is shown below.

X has it their contract that they can change ports at any time even after final payment has been made and one is in the penalty period to cancel. This is unlikely to happen so I would not be concerned. Almost all islands in the Caribbean are looking at increase in tourism to support the local economy so IMO is unlikely the island authority would do this. We booked our upcoming 8 night cruise on Century because it had St. Barts as part of that itinerary. Typically we do much longer cruises. You do realize that it is a tender port that can be canceled if there is rough seas. This is one of the problems that happens often when going into Grand Cayman. We were suppose to go into St. Barts on the very first cruise we did and ended up docking in Tortola, stayed there that night also, because it was too rough and couldn't be tendered into Gustavia. It will have taken us another 15 years to get there but only if the weather co-operates.:)

Here is a god site for information on that port.

http://www.st-barths.com/en/home.html

_M480049.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

All ships anchor in the bay and tender to St. Barts. If the weather is causing unsafe conditions for tendering, you will miss this port. We have been there 3 times, and we were able to go ashore all 3 times. St. Barts is very expensive, including taxi fares. We have found that renting a car is less expensive. It is a small island. Narrow, steep, very winding roads. If you feel comfortable driving under those conditions, check into renting a car. The views are spectacular, and there are some great beaches to enjoy. You can make arrangements to pick up the car at the tender drop off, and return it to the same place. Very convenient.

When are you going? Our first trip was in mid Feb. Many of the Caribbean islands have Carnival around that time. They close the roads, so renting a car would not be a good idea. You won't be able to get the car back.

Continue to check the itinerary of your sailing. If it changes, you can cancel your cruise prior to final payment. The cruise line has to schedule their ports far in advance, so I wouldn't worry too much about a port change.

I second renting a car. We did that on an Azamara cruise a few years ago. I think we paid about $75, split between two couples. It was a great way to see the island. There are some beautiful beaches there. Unfortunately we were there on a Sunday so Gustavia was virtually a ghost town.

Thanks for the video and picture! Looks very small and quiet, a nice contrast to some of the larger islands.

We'll be going in January. Keeping fingers crossed we'll be able to tender.

I will be there next month:D...first time ever. Looking forward to it very

much:)

We absolutely loved St. Barth's. As others have said, it is very expensive but a beautiful and very French island. We had a delicious lunch and walked most of Gustavia. It is also a great place to catch up with email. Wi-Fi os free at the Harbor Master's office. Just go in and you will be given the proper codes. We are heading there in a few days on Wind Surf but had our flight delayed due to the blizzard we just had. We leave tomorrow instead of today. Flight gets in at 1:30 and the ship leaves at 7. We couldn't get to JFK.

Have been to ST. Barts many times on a X ship...
I have been to St. Barth's, but not with Celebrity. I was unaware that it had been on X itineraries prior to this winter's X Century schedules. What previous X ships/cruises have stopped there? Sorry I missed out on these.

Thom

Any suggestions from anyone for lunch in town?

Ahhhhh....I am going to post 2 links for you:).........there must be

at least 2 dozen restaurants too choose from......

http://www.alacarte-stbarth.com/?lng=en

http://www.access-stbarth.com/en/res...for-lunch.html

Ahhhhh so it will be nice for this cruise...CENTURY is going there:D

I keep looking at all the restaurant choices...omg..there are so many.

Maybe I will quit looking and just stroll around the island till I find one

that calls my name:)

Hi. We rent scooters every year when we go to Bermuda. We have been going since 1983. We were just wondering if anyone has ever rented a scooter in St. Barts? We feel comfortable on them and the terrain should be similar to Bermuda, narrow roads, lots of hills and turns, blind corners etc. There appears to be 2 rental places ( Barthloc & Beranger) in Gustavia. Any preferences or recommendations? We though this would be a good way to explore the island at our pace and a reasonable price. Thanks in advance for the help.

Been to St Barts 3 times years ago, all via Windjammer cruises. LOVE this island, and Shell beach! It used to be a secluded, quiet gorgeous beach, with a couple of locals keeping us cooled off all day with their cooler full of yummy cold beverages, and bringing us ice cold towels for our heads! I PRAY it doesn't get swamped like sooo many pristine beaches have, I do understand why, but its so sad to not recognize where I left a piece of my heart not that long ago..

You can enjoy this island with not much money, or spend a whole lot, its all available , its gorgeous! The people are wonderful!

Hi. We rent scooters every year when we go to Bermuda. We have been going since 1983. We were just wondering if anyone has ever rented a scooter in St. Barts? We feel comfortable on them and the terrain should be similar to Bermuda, narrow roads, lots of hills and turns, blind corners etc. There appears to be 2 rental places ( Barthloc & Beranger) in Gustavia. Any preferences or recommendations? We though this would be a good way to explore the island at our pace and a reasonable price. Thanks in advance for the help.

I have vacationed in St Barth's twice and both times rented a small open top jeep which I found ideal. Tourists are advised not to rent scooters due to the condition of the roads and the speed at which people drive. A policeman told me they dealt with many collisions involving scooter riders which resulted in serious injuries.

I am an experienced scooter rider and would never use one in St Barth's.

Been to St. Barts twice. It feels like you are in the French Riviera. Very nice...very french. Guastavia is lovely. Some nice boutiques and cafes. Beaches are nice. You can walk to shell beach. Lots of beautiful seashells. Bring a bag to collect shells. I still have a bowl of them. Wear water shoes. The seashells can cut your feet. There are other beaches with white powdery sand. If you opt for a taxi, negotiate...and arrange for a return pickup. Enjoy!