Self Assist after self assist time?

Kind of what I thought ... As long as you can carry it off then they don't mind. Thanks!

Not quite right. They won´t hold you hostage and yes in reality you will likely be able to walk off at your desired time. However they do mind!

There´s a reason they debark all the self-assist folks in a Group ahead of all others.

People carrying their - larger than carry-on - luggage off themsleves slow down the debarkation process at the Gangway. So it actually slows down the process for all others.

As I said, they won´t stop you, as pulling you aside and starting to argue would Interrupt the process even more, but it´s certainly not encouraged in a way they don´t mind.

Not quite right. They won´t hold you hostage and yes in reality you will likely be able to walk off at your desired time. However they do mind!

There´s a reason they debark all the self-assist folks in a Group ahead of all others.

People carrying their - larger than carry-on - luggage off themsleves slow down the debarkation process at the Gangway. So it actually slows down the process for all others.

As I said, they won´t stop you, as pulling you aside and starting to argue would Interrupt the process even more, but it´s certainly not encouraged in a way they don´t mind.

There are set times for a reason.....so the ones not carrying off there own luggage can disembark without a huge delay. Its inconsiderate for those who are waiting to get off.

I have had the misfortune of being behind someone lugging their carryon as well as their suitcase, after the appointed "walk-of" time.

They did try to hussle, but, it was awkward for them trying to keep moving in a crowded area with everyone else doing the "cruise 500" to get to customs and on their way..............

It can be done,

But the cruise ships try to expedite and organize a schedule that works for that reason.

Sea Ya

We have done self assist and gotten off when we wanted. No problem. One reason we like to do it is not having to take time to pack on that last day. We do it quickly in the a.m. instead. We enjoy our last day and evening much more that way.

There are set times for a reason.....so the ones not carrying off there own luggage can disembark without a huge delay. Its inconsiderate for those who are waiting to get off.

There are set times for a reason but not for the reason you suggest. The set times coordinate the passengers to the time their bag is unloaded in the customs area. If people can move with the flow and carry their own bags, then it is not incosiderate to anyone. Most of the people that can manage their own luggage will move faster than large extended families.

Edited by dz9yvr

For the last year we've been taking our own bags off. We don't leave @ 7am with the self debarkation people--we take our time and leave at the end so as not to hold anyone up. We're fit and able to manage our own bags and don't slow down the process anyway--but I can see how if everyone did this, it would be disastrous. The reason we do it? Royal lost our luggage one year. Don't want to go thru that again.

Just a thought.... does it depend on port and passport?

I know on all cruises where I've debarked in the US self assist has only been for US passport holders.....

My brother in law is a British citizen and walked off the Equinox Monday without issue.

My brother in law is a British citizen and walked off the Equinox Monday without issue.

In San Juan, debarking from Adventure, I wasn't allowed to self disembark as a UK passport holder..... shrug. This was with friends who were US passport holders. As I had my case with me they subsequently allowed me to leave later.

We have no problem keeping up with the flow of passengers when we take our own bags off. I've seen plenty of people with larger-than-carryon bags who have put some out in the hall the night before but have kept a big one for the last night.

I think that they assume that self-debark people want to be off early, so they put them at the front of the line.

I was going to say this. No one checks you as you get off the boat, but if you try to disembark early and the ship has your luggage don't expect it to be waiting for you in the terminal.

Once you are off the boat the ship could care less; you are the terminals/customs problem at that point. Generally speaking, those are the people you don't want to peeve off.

There are set times for a reason but not for the reason you suggest. The set times coordinate the passengers to the time their bag is unloaded in the customs area. If people can move with the flow and carry their own bags, then it is not incosiderate to anyone. Most of the people that can manage their own luggage will move faster than large extended families.

I think that they assume that self-debark people want to be off early, so they put them at the front of the line.

As stated earlier, the reason they want those carrying their bags off in one Group has already been stated.

The reason for putting them at the front of the line is not them thinking those People want to get off early, it´s beacause it gives them more time to have the luggage unloaded and set up shoreside.

This resulted in People wanting to get off early to chose self assist.

In San Juan, debarking from Adventure, I wasn't allowed to self disembark as a UK passport holder..... shrug. This was with friends who were US passport holders. As I had my case with me they subsequently allowed me to leave later.

Still the same in San Juan Linda, US citizens only. Plus, self assist left the ship from Deck 1, everyone else Deck 4. Wouldn't like to think I was trying to negotiate the escalator there with anything other than a carry on bag, or waiting in line for the elevator

Carol