What do you think of the Grand Princess?

KruzPrincess

I'm looking at a cruise on the Grand Princess for later this year. I have read so many negative comments about the Grand. I've read some comments from some people who are prolific contributors here that say they'd never sail on the Grand. People complain all the time about the lack of balcony mats. I've read a lot about plumbing. OTOH, I've read that some people have had a great time on the Grand. I sailed on the Grand when she was fairly new, but I'm now hesitant. For those of you who have been on the Grand recently: Would you book another cruise on her? Any opinions welcome. Thanks.

We sailed on her in October and had a great time and the ship was in great shape. The food was fine.

The lack of a central staircase took some adjusting too.

We developed a habit of wandering past the IC on the way back to our cabin in the evening... Usually didn't find it very crowded. Always seemed to have an interesting treat.

We did find a quarter size rust spot on the balcony.

The stairs were getting new carpet late at night.

Boarding went smooth and we were in our cabin by 12:15 then off to the dining room for lunch.

We were not happy with our success at using anytime dining at 7pm but we didn't expect to be. 7:30 worked out, but we'd rather have just had traditional at 7:45, but SIL insisted on anytime. The did a good job of adapting the menu to DW's diet restrictions.

We did a b2b December 2013. Not only did we have a fabulous time, we would book this ship again in a heartbeat. We had any time dining and never had any trouble getting tables, either alone or with others. The food was fine. The condition of the ship was fine. The service was good. Our approach to a vacation is to have a good time, so we don't look for problems. Maybe that enters into it, I don't know.

Ohiodoglover

Another "would book on the Grand in a heartbeat" post. Was on her in October, wonderful experience. Yup, elevator/stair arrangement took a little getting used to. No biggie. Loved the ship. Wonderful MDR staff. And as far as the missing Skywalkers, we understood that its no longer being there really opened-up the aft pool area and made it much sunnier and more enjoyable. That was a space we enjoyed a lot.

Guest USC Traveler

i sailed on the grand in september to alaska. i would that cruise again in a "heartbeat". i enjoyed everything about the ship. the lack of the central staircase which really bothers a lot of people was not an issue for me at all. the captain was fabulous as he always informed us of things to look for at various locations. the food was terrific. now, i'm not a lido person. i take all my meals in the mdr or specialty restaurant but i thought the selections and quality were great. my mini-suite room was terrific. i didn't mind not having a mat on the balcony and now that they do have mats, i'm sure that crowd of people will find something else to complain about. there are just people who can't or don't want to pleased.

We sailed on her in October and had a great time and the ship was in great shape. The food was fine.

The lack of a central staircase took some adjusting too..

She sounds good, but I did not understand the 'Central staircase ' comment, or lack of it as the case may be.

john

From deck 7 and above, the central staircase is for crew only. So if you are using stairs, have to use forward or aft staircases. Same thing on the Royal.

You get used to it. Since we knew this in advance on both of these ships, we did book forward cabins and used those stairs. Not a biggy for us but people mid ship may have an inconvenience.

I'm looking at a cruise on the Grand Princess for later this year. I have read so many negative comments about the Grand. I've read some comments from some people who are prolific contributors here that say they'd never sail on the Grand. People complain all the time about the lack of balcony mats. I've read a lot about plumbing. OTOH, I've read that some people have had a great time on the Grand. I sailed on the Grand when she was fairly new, but I'm now hesitant. For those of you who have been on the Grand recently: Would you book another cruise on her? Any opinions welcome. Thanks.

The Grand is the oldest ship in the family.

Despite recent face lifting she lost a lot (Skywalker's lounge).

If I plan a cruise on a Grand Clas ship I will definitely look at newer/better ships.

The Grand Princess is permanently out of my future plans.

The Grand is the oldest ship in the family.

Despite recent face lifting she lost a lot (Skywalker's lounge).

If I plan a cruise on a Grand Clas ship I will definitely look at newer/better ships.

The Grand Princess is permanently out of my future plans.

I'm curious if you've sailed her since Skywalkers was removed and the one 5 added or if your opinion that she has "lost a lot" is based on actual experience or just perception. We found her to have one of the best crews we have ever sailed with. She was very well maintained and, we thought, on par with the newer grand class ships.

Edited by Luvmyrotti

I shared your fears, but booked anyway because of timing and itinerary. What surprised me where the number of people on my roll call for this March who have sailed on the Grand and on this same itinerary before and keep coming back.

It seemed at odds with some things I had read - but there are a lot of repeat happy passengers.

This will be my first time on Princess other than our first 2 night "trial run" cruise several years ago so I'll be interested in seeing how it is. I usually try to live blog when I said so maybe I can give a detailed review.

If there is no matting on Dolphin and Caribe deck balconies, it can be a huge problem. Water accumulates as well as mud. It is very slippery. When we were on the Grand after the big refit, couldn't use our Caribe balcony at all. The metal was so dirty and a lot of rust showing. This may have changed since we haven't been on the Grand since then .

Does anyone know which decks got the matting?

I'm curious if you've sailed her since Skywalkers was removed and the one 5 added or if your opinion that she has "lost a lot" is based on actual experience or just perception. We found her to have one of the best crews we have ever sailed with. She was very well maintained and, we thought, on par with the newer grand class ships.

Losing skywalkers to me was not 'a lot'. She gained so many other things, a nice open aft pool that actually gets the sun now, great seating areas on deck 15 outside one5 and the chapel, good for relaxing and reading. She got the first Alfredos, had Vines and IC added - all those to me are worth more than losing skywalkers. And of course she has the covered center pool.

I loved the Grand (had 7 cruises on her) and loved that she had one deck of cabins less than the newer ones so it never felt crowded anywhere. Have been on both Caribbean and Crown and they felt really crowded by comparison.

The crew has always been great on Grand, and it always felt like a 'happy ship'. I did not get that feeling on CB.

Would love to have the Grand back in Europe, but don't think that will happen.

Losing skywalkers to me was not 'a lot'. She gained so many other things, a nice open aft pool that actually gets the sun now, great seating areas on deck 15 outside one5 and the chapel, good for relaxing and reading. She got the first Alfredos, had Vines and IC added - all those to me are worth more than losing skywalkers. And of course she has the covered center pool.

I loved the Grand (had 7 cruises on her) and loved that she had one deck of cabins less than the newer ones so it never felt crowded anywhere. Have been on both Caribbean and Crown and they felt really crowded by comparison.

The crew has always been great on Grand, and it always felt like a 'happy ship'. I did not get that feeling on CB.

Would love to have the Grand back in Europe, but don't think that will happen.

Totally agree with you! We love the seating area outside the one 5. We're considering booking the Grand to Hawaii in early 2015.

I just got off the Grand yesterday, some cabins had mats and some did not, ours on Dolphin did, a friend on E did not. The eleveators were the worste I have ever seen, I got stuck twice, one time the elevator opened a foot above the floor. There were dripping leaks in several areas and the smell of sewage in several other areas. While I will sail with princess again I would not do so on the grand.

Hi KruzPrincess,

We cruised with you on the Sapphire in December of 2012 to the Hawaiian Islands. We took an Alaska cruise on the Grand last May and are looking forward to another Hawaii cruise on the Grand later this year.

I have also read the negative comments and was a little hesitant to book but the time and itinerary were just what we were looking for so we went for it!

We thought the ship was in great shape, crew wonderful, food very good....no problems at all. Looking forward to being on the Grand again!:)

I just got off the Grand yesterday, some cabins had mats and some did not, ours on Dolphin did, a friend on E did not. The eleveators were the worste I have ever seen, I got stuck twice, one time the elevator opened a foot above the floor. There were dripping leaks in several areas and the smell of sewage in several other areas. While I will sail with princess again I would not do so on the grand.

I too just got off GRAND. We had a wonderful trip - great crew - I thought the food had actually improved since our last trip. The lamb and pork dishes particularly good.

I missed the dripping. Guess I wasn't in the right place. They had a problem with a few of the bathrooms - but were always back in service again. I would point out bathroom problems are sometimes the ship's issue - but sometimes not so.

I would certainly not hesitate to sail in her again.