Claiming a clamshell

AKman2495

This may be an idiotic question, but when you get a clamshell on Princess Cays, is there any way to indicate that the clamshell is occupied other than leaving stuff there if you leave for lunch or swimming....?

BTW, I am not looking for the pros or cons of clamshells.

We use a brightly coloured scarf tied to the front, VERY obvious to others, to reserve ours.

The first time we went, we didn't do this, and twice in 2 hours there were other people sitting in our clamshell when we'd return from snorkeling and grabbing lunch. Both times the people claimed they didn't realize it wasn't theirs, because of course everyone has the same Princess towels and tote bags. With clearly marked personal scarves flying, there's no room for error. :)

I don't have a picture of it handy, but for our Disney cruise my wife ordered a little banner that has the pictures of the seagulls from Nemo, Plus the words Mine Mine Mine and our names embroidered. The idea is you tie it to the umbrella pole with pipe cleaners. Works well

I should point out that common courtesy rules apply if its crowded, if you are going to be away for several hours, you should free up the clamshell.

I should point out that common courtesy rules apply if its crowded, if you are going to be away for several hours, you should free up the clamshell.

Sorry, but people pay extra for the clamshell. Why do you think that they should free it up?

We use a brightly coloured scarf tied to the front, VERY obvious to others, to reserve ours.

The first time we went, we didn't do this, and twice in 2 hours there were other people sitting in our clamshell when we'd return from snorkeling and grabbing lunch. Both times the people claimed they didn't realize it wasn't theirs, because of course everyone has the same Princess towels and tote bags. With clearly marked personal scarves flying, there's no room for error. :)

I like the idea of a scarf! Thanks!

On a similar note, how do they signify who has paid for one, and who hasn't?

Good point. Also, do the people who have rented clamshells get organized by Princess in the morning for a mass transport? Or do people just go whenever they want?

Sorry, but people pay extra for the clamshell. Why do you think that they should free it up?

I agree! You're paying for the full day...it's yours whether you're occupying it or not. It's not like a lounge by the pool onboard the chip.

Lew

I almost rented a clamshell last October and so glad I didn't. There were free chairs all over and we found two underneath a tree so I could get some shade. I've heard the clamshells get really hot in the sun. I'd much rather send the $40 rental on some fruity drinks!

Edited by akeasley

Sorry, I forgot they were paid. In that case, of course not.

We tend to make PC a ship day so been a long time since I looked at the beach options. I assumed they were FCFS.

I like the idea of a scarf! Thanks!

You're welcome... it also makes it easy to identify which one is ours when we wander out of the water after snorkeling for a while - my eyes tend to be a bit blurry and quickly spotting our clamshell makes it easier for me. :)

I almost rented a clamshell last October and so glad I didn't. There were free chairs all over and we found two underneath a tree so I could get some shade. I've heard the clamshells get really hot in the sun. I'd much rather send the $40 rental on some fruity drinks!

While I understand your feelings, you should know they are only $29 for the day.

• 1 month later...

I was just debating this with my DW and we are going to just go with the flow. We will look for a shady spot - I seem to remember there were quite a few. If it gets too hot and stinky for the kids we can always call it quits and head back on board.

I cannot be in the sun for any length of time. If I don't have a way to be completely covered at the beach, I don't go.

On our recent HAL cruise, we did not manage to get a clam shell, so we stayed on the ship and relaxed in the Thermal Suite. It was a lovely day.