Does Ship Change Time?

We are on Grandeur of the Seas, arriving in San Juan at 4:00pm on the 24th of January. We have a private excursion at 4:30 in Old San Juan. I just realized that San Juan is an hour earlier than the east coast. Than means when we dock at 4:00pm ship time, it will be 5:00pm in San Juan, unless the ship changes to local time. So, does anyone know if the ship changes to local time?

Yes' date=' the ship changes time.[/b'] The captain or another crew member will announce the time change and suggest you set watches accordingly.

Not necessarily. It is up to the Captain with the given itinerary which time he wishes to maintain as ship time. The Captain / CD will clearly announce ship time (should it be different in a port of call), it will be posted on the ships daily information pages, and marked on a sign at disembarkation as well as posting the final re-boarding time. Do not rely on your smart phone for time as that typically adjusts to local time - bring a separate watch that you can set to the ships time to be sure.

Grandeur may in fact reset to the local time and the first response may be corrrect - but that is not necessarily a "given" with that, or any ship.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We are on Grandeur of the Seas, arriving in San Juan at 4:00pm on the 24th of January. We have a private excursion at 4:30 in Old San Juan. I just realized that San Juan is an hour earlier than the east coast. Than means when we dock at 4:00pm ship time, it will be 5:00pm in San Juan, unless the ship changes to local time. So, does anyone know if the ship changes to local time?
leaveitallbehind is entirely correct that it is up to the Captain. With four stops in Atlantic Standard Time (AST) the ship will probably change to AST, but I had a cruise last year with three AST ports and no change of time. Your private excursion guide, if they are any good, will find out when the Grandeur is in local (AST) time, and be there to meet you appropriately.

enjoy

Thom

The best way to check is to look up the port schedule and see what time San Juan shows the ship coming in on your day. I would assume the ship docking time would be the local time.

This site shows the time in port which I assume is the local time. For example January 24, 2014 Grandeur is in port from 4:00 pm to 11:59 pm

http://ships.cruisett.com/schedule/Royal_Caribbean_International/Grandeur_Of_The_Seas/January_2014/

Edited by PantherFan

The best way to check is to look up the port schedule and see what time San Juan shows the ship coming in on your day. I would assume the ship docking time would be the local time.

This site shows the time in port which I assume is the local time. For example January 24, 2014 Grandeur is in port from 4:00 pm to 11:59 pm

http://ships.cruisett.com/schedule/Royal_Caribbean_International/Grandeur_Of_The_Seas/January_2014/

That would be accurate that the ship will be in that port during those local times - that does not mean, however, that this is the ship time on board as determined by the Captain. I would think the local time would always be shown by the port for ships there - but the port schedule reporter does not necessarily know what the ship time is for that itinerary.

The OP simply needs to pay attention on board to the specified ship time and they will be fine.

The OP was asking what time the ship gets to port since they scheduled a non RCL excursion at 4:30 local time. If the local schedule shows the ship coming in at 4:00 then they should be OK regardless of the ship time.

Just pay attention to ship time when getting back on board.

Normally, when a ship changes time it is announced by the cruise director at the show the night before, a card is left on your bed by the RS with the compass stating a change, the compass for the next day states there is a change, and when the captain gives the all clear to leave the ship he reminds people of the change.

Forgot one, many waiters in the mdr will remind their guest of the time change for the next day

Edited by setsail

Thanks for this. It looks like we should be okay.

Thanks for this. It looks like we should be okay.

Please note my subsequent response - the local "ship in port" time does not necessarily reflect that Captains choice on actual ship time.

All I can say is with 21+ years cruising experience in many ports and many different time zones, the local time is not necessarily the ship time - it may be, but it also may not be. And the local port ship schedule also does not necessarily reflect ship time.

Just check on board as you reach PR and you will be fine.

Leavetallbehind.

see post #8

The OP was asking what time the ship gets to port since they scheduled a non RCL excursion at 4:30 local time. If the local schedule shows the ship coming in at 4:00 then they should be OK regardless of the ship time.

Please note my subsequent response - the local "ship in port" time does not necessarily reflect that Captains choice on actual ship time.

All I can say is with 21+ years cruising experience in many ports and many different time zones, the local time is not necessarily the ship time - it may be, but it also may not be. And the local port ship schedule also does not necessarily reflect ship time.

Just check on board as you reach PR and you will be fine.

Thanks. I answered before I saw your response. I will check the time on board and hope for the best.

Leavetallbehind.

see post #8

Gotcha - and good catch. Thanks - on the same page.

cruisett is NOT an official port site, and is not always complete or accurate. I am on Independence of the Seas and looked at cruisett list of ships in Sint Maarten on 21 Jan and they show four ships (Independence of the Seas, Celebrity Eclipse, Norwegian Epic, MSC Divina). If you look at the official Sint Maarten port site there are two addition ships (Mein Schiff 2 and Seven Seas Navigator) in that day. Unfortunately I could not find an official Port of San Juan site.

Not necessarily. It is up to the Captain with the given itinerary which time he wishes to maintain as ship time. The Captain / CD will clearly announce ship time (should it be different in a port of call), it will be posted on the ships daily information pages, and marked on a sign at disembarkation as well as posting the final re-boarding time. Do not rely on your smart phone for time as that typically adjusts to local time - bring a separate watch that you can set to the ships time to be sure.

Grandeur may in fact reset to the local time and the first response may be corrrect - but that is not necessarily a "given" with that, or any ship.

Exactly. It can even vary from one cruise to the next on a B2B. In December on the Liberty our first leg was the 5 day and the ships time changed by one hour. On the second leg which was a 4 day the ships time did not change.

Depending on the time of the year, Atlantic Standard Time is the same as Eastern Daylight Savings Time. Atlantic Standard does not observe Daylight Savings Time. In the Spring,

Summer and early Fall, the time is the same as the Eastern U.S.