Help picking a first time cruise

tobiasds

My best friend for 30 years and I vacation together every year and have travelled extensively in Europe perhaps a dozen times or so. We are both mid forties in good shape, like to do physical activities, like shows (west end London type shows), are pretty easy going not too stressed on vacation.

I have done tons of research on here and elsewhere (LOL 30 pages of first time cruise advice for the last hour)

Long story short, I've had difficulty locking in a time when we could both get vacation time and I now have off from 29 mar to 08 apr and my friend can vacation the same. While a cruise departing on the 29th is an option, I'm realistically looking at the 30 since we have to fly 3 hours to get to south FL cruise ports and expect to fly in day before. My friend is a tough sell on vacations so I really need this cruise to be a homerun to be able to go again.

Considering the myriad choices (narrowed of course by our dates) considering perhaps future loyalty programs etc., what would be a good choice to make.

Hope I've put some info in here that helps suggestions, don't want to color anyone's honest opinions but I am leaning toward RCI or Celebrity out of FLL right now. Money is not a huge impediment and am budgeting about 1500 each just for the cruise not including tips and flight etc.

Suggestions for cruise cabin ports etc? Neither of us are big drinkers, and I would also welcome suggestions on anything like alcohol plans etc though I have really looked at a lot of suggestions on here already.

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can offer!

not sure if its matters much to you but we have spring break at that time so you may want to figure lots of kids into the equation or choose a cruise line that is less likely to have them...unless you want that

Good to consider, thanks. Unfortunately without a life story, we've stopped and started on the date twice, this is our third try so we're stuck with this date or waiting until this fall. If my friend has fun I'll have someone to go with again this fall. Fingers crossed.

A friend said for service Disney can't be beaten but I was just afraid it would be to oriented toward families and not enough for adults. That said we're just two big kids ourselves when we get away from work on vacation.

DW and I are big Holland America fans. There is a 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Niew Amsterdam departing FLL on 3/30 and returning there on 4/06. Ports visited are Grand Turk, San Juan, St Thomas and HAL's private island in the Bahamas, Half Moon Cay. JMHO but you might want to go to HAL's web site and check it out. Whatever you choose, have a great time!

DW and I are big Holland America fans. There is a 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Niew Amsterdam departing FLL on 3/30 and returning there on 4/06. Ports visited are Grand Turk, San Juan, St Thomas and HAL's private island in the Bahamas, Half Moon Cay. JMHO but you might want to go to HAL's web site and check it out. Whatever you choose, have a great time!

I will go and look at that. Are the HAL cruises filled with activities and have a crowd our age?

Considering that you have from very specific requirements, I would suggest that a good TA would be in order.

DON

Travel Agent?

I love booking things online, once booked 5 hotels, a car, and flight for a 8 day itinerary in France all online without a hitch.

Will the agent be able to help get a better deal or are you just talking about their knowledge of the ships and activities. Can you suggest one?

No suggestions or recommendations for travel agents are allowed on Cruise Critic, due I am told, to underwriting/advertising by some LARGE on-line agencies (you know the ones that pop up when you "Find A Cruise").

Google is your friend!

Depending on the cruise line, a TA may be able to get a better deal, and depending on the TA, they might throw in something extra like OBC out of their commission.

We used a TA in 2009 because in that era, HAL did not want to deal with passengers (!). Last October we booked directly with NCL on a Saturday (rather than going to the same TA after the weekend) because the website said the "deal" was going to expire that day. Sure enough, the next day -- the price was the same but with OBC... so they didn't lie...

We were super happy with the cabin we got so only laughed at the marketing game.

In the future, I plan to use the same in-person agent as the 2009 cruise. He specializes in cruise vacations and I like to do business locally, although like you I have planned land vacations around the world -- Ireland, Alaska, New Zealand, Moscow (Russia, not Idaho), for a few.

If I lived somewhere without a local expert TA, I would make my own arrangements over an on-line TA (individual or agency) I couldn't meet face to face.

All good information, thanks. Googling local TA's right now.

Local TAs usually can't get you much better deals. Try looking through the TAs listed here on CruiseCritic. They are less TAs in the traditional sense of walking through everything with you and more "people who have special deals with the cruiselines so they can give you a better price" people. It is always cheaper to use a TA. And cruises are the only times that I use TAs.

I would not sail on Holland America because of the average ages on board those ships, especially if you are in your 40s. Royal Caribbean will tend to have more activities and more families. The food will be okay, not great unless you only eat in specialty restaurants. Celebrity (same company) will have better food, bars, nicer decor and less rowdy activities. Both will be about equal in terms of the quality of shows, except for Royal's Oasis and Allure, which has broadway productions. Both will have great service.

Local TAs usually can't get you much better deals. Try looking through the TAs listed here on CruiseCritic. They are less TAs in the traditional sense of walking through everything with you and more "people who have special deals with the cruiselines so they can give you a better price" people. It is always cheaper to use a TA. And cruises are the only times that I use TAs.

I would not sail on Holland America because of the average ages on board those ships, especially if you are in your 40s. Royal Caribbean will tend to have more activities and more families. The food will be okay, not great unless you only eat in specialty restaurants. Celebrity (same company) will have better food, bars, nicer decor and less rowdy activities. Both will be about equal in terms of the quality of shows, except for Royal's Oasis and Allure, which has broadway productions. Both will have great service.

What is the average age on board HAL. We are looking for our next cruise for 2015 and I saw one on HAL today that was going in the right direction.

What is the average age on board HAL. We are looking for our next cruise for 2015 and I saw one on HAL today that was going in the right direction.

There are some that say only older folks cruise HAL. We have cruised with HAL 4 times, and our now in our 50s. Ages of passengers are not our concern. We book by itinerary.

Celebrity is a part of RCI and in my opinion they are upmarket. Food and service are excellent on Celebrity. Not so much on RC. Ship decor on Celebrity is nicer. I would go with Celebrity if you and your friend are more sophisticated travelers.

I see you found your Roll Call (I was going to provide the link).

Have a great time! I'm a little jealous!

Thanks, hoping to have a blast

Celebrity is a part of RCI and in my opinion they are upmarket. Food and service are excellent on Celebrity. Not so much on RC. Ship decor on Celebrity is nicer. I would go with Celebrity if you and your friend are more sophisticated travelers.

I'm glad we picked it :) We're not too sophisticated but we are looking for a little more than a booze cruise. Can't wait to try it.

Edited by tobiasds

I would have to say 70 and up, lol. My one HAL cruise we were constantly stuck in walker and wheelchair traffic jams in the hallways...

What puppycanducruise said. We sailed HAL north to Alaska (when our ages were 50, 60, and 70) and there were ALL ages on board. That may have something to do with the itinerary, too. (I can't remember age range on the Hawaii HAL trip as I was attending to my OWN elderly family member! But I was much younger myself.)

@ Stratheden

You don't say WHAT itinerary you are looking at, but if it is Alaska, I would recommend HAL. I understand that they and Princess have the most permits for Glacier Bay (and I would recommend an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay! Outstanding! Best thing on cruise!)

Prior Cruises

1995 Marco Polo, Cape Town to Buenos Aires

2000? Statendam, Ensenada to Hawaii and back

June 2009 Statendam, Vancouver to Seward, Alaska

June 2011 MS Russ, St.Peterburg to Moscow

Sept/Oct 2012 MS Russ, Astrakhan to Moscow

Dec 2013 Norwegian Star, Panama Canal & Mexican Riviera

Edited by crystalspin