Zuidendam Panama Canal Shore Excursions

johncolt

My wife and I are taking a Panama Canal cruise on Zuidendam leaving Fort Lauderdale on 14th. February 2014, returning to FL on 24th. Feb.

Stops are at Half Moon Cay, Oranjestad, Willemstad, Christobal/Colon, Puerto Limon. I would welcome advice on which, if any, HLA-organised tours to take and/or avoid. We are experienced cruisers and often have arranged our own tours with taxi drivers at the various ports.when we arrive, but we have not done this trip before so have no previous experience to draw on.

How might the weather at this time of year affect what we choose to do?

Thanks, Johncolt

Edited by johncolt
spelling mistake

Looks like you are on the Sunfarer with stops at Gatun Lake & Costa Rica?

If you want to get off the ship at Gatun Lake, you MUST do a HAL excursion.

Those aren't HAL rules but Panama security rules. We did the Embera Village and really enjoyed it.

In Costa Rica we did a private tour with Danillo Hall and had a great time.

definitely visit the ports boards and your roll call and I hope this helps a bit :D

The stop in Colon is for passengers who have left the ship in Gatun and are returning to the ship in Colon after the excursion. No one can get off there and according to some reports, no one would want to!

Unless they have changed it, we were on the Zuiderdam in 2009 and we went to the pier in Colon where there were a ton of shops selling trinkets and Indian crafts. I was able to get a 6-pack of Cerveza Panama for old times sake. No one ventured out of the pier shops that I know of but it was a pleasant way to pass an hour or so.

We thoroughly enjoyed the trip to the Embera village, if that is still offered. A nice bus ride through the country side of Panama, a terrific ride in a huge dugout canoe and a very nice time at the village. As an ex-anthropologist, I did not find it too touristy and it is organized in a supportive rather than exploitative way.

We did an Oscar Brown tour in Puerto Limon and it was excellent. He provided a private suv for the two of us, and on the canal we had a private boat instead of 20 or so packed into the same size craft. Very accommodating, and avoided the usual aunt or cousin who owns a craft store etc.

The private operators are not allowed into the dock area, so you have to walk out of the dock area and across the street. We simply asked where to find Oscar Brown and got immediate directions - no problems and an excellent tour.

We thoroughly enjoyed the trip to the Embera village, if that is still offered. A nice bus ride through the country side of Panama, a terrific ride in a huge dugout canoe and a very nice time at the village. As an ex-anthropologist, I did not find it too touristy and it is organized in a supportive rather than exploitative way.

I'm very interested in the Embera Village tour and have a couple of questions. First, I read that sometimes the tour is to a "staged" village rather than to an actual village and I would hate to wind up at Disney of Embera. :rolleyes: Were you a HAL excursion and if so, what month and was it the real deal? Also, I don't do heat/humidity well (once it gets in the upper 80's and above, I melt) so that said, am I fooling myself that I could do ok on this tour? Did you eat the provided village lunch? Thanks!

Another idea to consider is the excursion on a Ferry Boat that takes you all the way through the Canal to the Pacific side. I think it is called the Canal Experience or something like that. We did this cruise in 2010 and are doing it again soon - we liked it that much.

On the Ferry Boat you will actually be "down in" the Canal as it transits the locks. It is quite the experience if the Canal is your main reason for taking this cruise. Lunch is included, there are restrooms on the Ferry, and a nice breeze as I recall. Once on the Pacific side you are bussed back to Colon to meet the ship. I think most of us took a nap on the bus. :D

Another idea to consider is the excursion on a Ferry Boat that takes you all the way through the Canal to the Pacific side. I think it is called the Canal Experience or something like that. We did this cruise in 2010 and are doing it again soon - we liked it that much.

On the Ferry Boat you will actually be "down in" the Canal as it transits the locks. It is quite the experience if the Canal is your main reason for taking this cruise. Lunch is included, there are restrooms on the Ferry, and a nice breeze as I recall. Once on the Pacific side you are bussed back to Colon to meet the ship. I think most of us took a nap on the bus. :D

Another vote for the "Canal Experience". It was a full day and a day full of memories we still treasure

from one of our bucket list cruises. Enjoy your cruise!

DOWN INSIDE THE LOCKS

INTHELOCK.jpg

CLOSE ENOUGH TO TOUCH THE SIDES OF THE LOCK

WEATHER322.jpg

I'm very interested in the Embera Village tour and have a couple of questions. First, I read that sometimes the tour is to a "staged" village rather than to an actual village and I would hate to wind up at Disney of Embera. :rolleyes: Were you a HAL excursion and if so, what month and was it the real deal? Also, I don't do heat/humidity well (once it gets in the upper 80's and above, I melt) so that said, am I fooling myself that I could do ok on this tour? Did you eat the provided village lunch? Thanks!

We did this in February/March (my memory fades) 3 years ago.

It is warm but not as bad as other times of the year (I did research weather beforehand).

The canoe ride is cooling and helps. The village is near the water so we found gentle breezes and there was a shower and one stage for a few minutes so that definitely kept things liveable.

It is a HAL excursion. There is no other way off Gatun Lake (unless things have changed) to my knowledge. I don't do many ship excursions any more (I prefer private) but it was well done and we enjoyed it.

And yes, we ate the food - who wouldn't? It was great.

I don't think the village is staged but I do think that some don't stay dressed as they were as I saw a couple change out of the corner of my eye when we were in the canoe.

But there was no question in my mind that the children in the village were really happy and having fun. (funny what sticks in your mind isn't it).

The people were genuine and warm. And it is a day that stays with me in my memories.

We were glad we did it.

I do not believe it was staged, but you have to realize that these people make part of their living from entertaining tourists so there is some elements of theater in what they present. My understanding is that these people fled from Nicaragua and settled in the park in Panama. The village seems genuine - it did not strike me as phony but of course they have lots of contact with the outside world and like everyone incorporate those aspects they find desirable - so you get an older man, with no shoes and wearing only a loin cloth driving a genuine dugout canoe with a very modern outboard - modern technology beats paddles any day.

We ate the lunch provided with no ill effects - and my wife is a very picky European eater with a propensity to get sick on anything not well prepared or lacking sanitation.

This was a HAL excursion as there is no other way off the ship - well organized and on time - you get dropped off in Colon to rejoin the ship so you get all the delights of the market on the dock. I have no experience with the other tours, which may be very good but in hindsight we both agreed this was a very good excursion. To add some perspective, we rarely take the ship tours and do things on our own.

We went in very early January and it was warm but not uncomfortable, and I come from a place where 70 F is a fine summer day. Take a cheap poncho or a light jacket as the canoe kicks up quite a bit of spray, particularly if you are near the front - If I remember correctly HAL or the tour operator was handing them out at the bus, but don't count on my recollection - we took our own.

Panama buns pic: Who would dare leave their space on the bow for the buns? I guess you have to have a plan with your spouse or friend.. Plan ahead because it is a treat!

I think the only part of Colon that you can visit is the pier where they sell all their curios. I regret not getting more of their sewing craft (okay everyone jump in. I am having a senior moment). I get so many compliments when I wear my T shirt with this (?) sewing craft on it. It is not from China that is for sure! I think it begins with an M.

I do not believe it was staged, but you have to realize that these people make part of their living from entertaining tourists so there is some elements of theater in what they present. My understanding is that these people fled from Nicaragua and settled in the park in Panama. The village seems genuine - it did not strike me as phony but of course they have lots of contact with the outside world and like everyone incorporate those aspects they find desirable - so you get an older man, with no shoes and wearing only a loin cloth driving a genuine dugout canoe with a very modern outboard - modern technology beats paddles any day.

We ate the lunch provided with no ill effects - and my wife is a very picky European eater with a propensity to get sick on anything not well prepared or lacking sanitation.

This was a HAL excursion as there is no other way off the ship - well organized and on time - you get dropped off in Colon to rejoin the ship so you get all the delights of the market on the dock. I have no experience with the other tours, which may be very good but in hindsight we both agreed this was a very good excursion. To add some perspective, we rarely take the ship tours and do things on our own.

We went in very early January and it was warm but not uncomfortable, and I come from a place where 70 F is a fine summer day. Take a cheap poncho or a light jacket as the canoe kicks up quite a bit of spray, particularly if you are near the front - If I remember correctly HAL or the tour operator was handing them out at the bus, but don't count on my recollection - we took our own.

Thanks for the great and very informative response! How long was the canoe ride and how long were you at the village? Were the villagers dressed more conservatively? I have seen pictures of the women topless and adorned with a lot of jewelry and what I believe are painted tattoos and the men the same with loin cloths and then I have seen pictures where the men are wearing what looks like a very short skirt and the women have a top to cover their breasts. Just curious if you got the true NatGeo experience. Also, did you get to walk around and see their huts or were you confined to the central area where they performed and had crafts for sale. I assume restrooms are outhouses?

I wasn't sure if you had done this via HAL or another cruise line was the reason I asked. Unfortunately we are relegated to only ship excursions or I, too, would book independently.

Edited by zelker

We were on the Maasdam Holiday Cruise this year and did the Embera Village. Very nice excursion, the dugout canoe ride is about 30 minutes one way through an awesome forest and river. The village itself was also very nice, kids playing around and having fun, had the "national geographic" experience like you say regarding clothing. Also ate the fish and plantains provided, delicious and no ill effects! You can walk around the village, see the school, houses (but you do not enter them, unless invited).

Overall a very interesting excursion, and you get to see the canal and locks in the morning for about 2:30 hours so you get the best of both worlds: the panama canal and a nice excursion!

In Limon, we did the rainforest aerial tram. Very nice ride but don't expect to see animals there. You hear birds, and we got to see a sloth and a snake and a monkey high up in the trees,but not on the tram.

We did this tour since we had already been to the Tortuguero canals on a land trip.

Louis