a Med cruise on the heels of a river cruise?

horatio123

Not a bad situation to be in. We have a river cruise planned with another couple beginning of September for 1 week, Burgundy and Provence and we were supposed to spend a 2nd week with St. Remy as a base to explore, some of which we have already done last year. They can not do the 2nd week so my husband brought up the idea of us hopping on a med cruise thereafter. We have never done a cruise beyond river before and are long overdue. River cruise ends Sept. 7th in Arles and the Celebrity Equinox sails out of Venice on the 8th although embarkation is on the 7th...13nights. We actually have a cabin put aside til Monday. Is this overkill? Maybe we should go back next year? There is also a 7 nighter out of Barcelona on the 8th...Liberty of the Seas.

Not a bad situation to be in. We have a river cruise planned with another couple beginning of September for 1 week, Burgundy and Provence and we were supposed to spend a 2nd week with St. Remy as a base to explore, some of which we have already done last year. They can not do the 2nd week so my husband brought up the idea of us hopping on a med cruise thereafter. We have never done a cruise beyond river before and are long overdue. River cruise ends Sept. 7th in Arles and the Celebrity Equinox sails out of Venice on the 8th although embarkation is on the 7th...13nights. We actually have a cabin put aside til Monday. Is this overkill? Maybe we should go back next year? There is also a 7 nighter out of Barcelona on the 8th...Liberty of the Seas.

I like these kind of problems and wish I had problems like this. :) You have me a little confused when you ask if this is overkill and that maybe you should go back next year.

Do you mean instead of a 2nd week anywhere in Europe or instead of a cruise the 2nd and maybe 3rd week?

I would do the river cruise and land vacation if it meant getting to go back for a 2 week med cruise next year.

If money and time was not an issue I would add on the 13 nighter Celebrity Equinox out of Venice after the River cruise as long as it meant that I could plan another European cruise for next year.

Hmmm, I guess I am never going to get a nay on a cruise critic forum am I:)? the 2nd cruise would not replace a vacation next year, no. I have done 2 river cruises and know that they are not race around daily type of vacations...I find them relaxing... So no problem there. I have never done ocean cruising so wonder if I am going to be run off my feet....Venice, Dubrovnik, Mykonos, sea, Istanbul, sea, sea, Amalfi, Rome, Florence, Nice, Barcelona... Okay, so one never gets sick of cruising then...even for 20 days total?

Hmmm, I guess I am never going to get a nay on a cruise critic forum am I:)? the 2nd cruise would not replace a vacation next year, no. I have done 2 river cruises and know that they are not race around daily type of vacations...I find them relaxing... So no problem there. I have never done ocean cruising so wonder if I am going to be run off my feet....Venice, Dubrovnik, Mykonos, sea, Istanbul, sea, sea, Amalfi, Rome, Florence, Nice, Barcelona... Okay, so one never gets sick of cruising then...even for 20 days total?

Well, as our last two cruises were 20 and 22 days, our one next month is 21 days, and our Nov 2014 cruise is 19...no, not really. Just grin and bear it.

You can run around as much or as little as you want. Meaning if you are feeling overwhelmed you do not have to go on every excursion. Sometimes just walking around the port then returning to enjoy the quiet of the partially deserted ship is very pleasant...especially if you plan to return at a later date.

Given your opportunity, I would jump on it!

Finishing in Arles on the 7th transfer to Venice with embarkation on the same day seems challenging unless you get a well priced flight Marseille - Venice. Alternatively you lose a day of your cruise. As this would be your first cruise I think that would be a pity. I would opt for a train transfer Arles -Barcelona on the 7th and embarkation on the 8th on the Liberty.

i think it is a great idea. Since we are on the West Coast, we hate the 10 or 11 hour trans Atlantic flights. One year we cruised from Budapest to Amsterdam,flew to Copenhagen, and did a Baltic Cruise.

In 2012 we toured the Bernese Alps then took a train to Monte Carlo to do a Burgundy River cruise.

In 2011 we cruised from Rome to Dover, then spent a week in Cornwall and a week in London.

IMO, check the trains between Arles and Venice. You will lose a lot of time going to and from airports and going through security

I went to Rail Europe, and while it is a long train ride, it can be very relaxing.

8:35AM

Arles

10:36AM

Lyon-Saint Exuper

2hr1min

TGV Duplex TGV Duplex 6194

12:35PM

Lyon-Saint Exuper

5:51PM

Milano P Garibal

5hr16min

France Italy TGV France Italy TGV 9245

7:05PM

Milano Centrale

9:40PM

Venezia S Lucia

2hr35mi

When we went from Switzerland to Monte Carlo, we changed trains 5 times, and left at 8:30 AM and arrived at 8 PM. It was very comfortable, we could see all the scenery and walk around and have a nice lunch.

i think it is a great idea. Since we are on the West Coast, we hate the 10 or 11 hour trans Atlantic flights. One year we cruised from Budapest to Amsterdam,flew to Copenhagen, and did a Baltic Cruise.

In 2012 we toured the Bernese Alps then took a train to Monte Carlo to do a Burgundy River cruise.

In 2011 we cruised from Rome to Dover, then spent a week in Cornwall and a week in London.

IMO, check the trains between Arles and Venice. You will lose a lot of time going to and from airports and going through security

I went to Rail Europe, and while it is a long train ride, it can be very relaxing.

8:35AM

Arles

10:36AM

Lyon-Saint Exuper

2hr1min

TGV Duplex TGV Duplex 6194

12:35PM

Lyon-Saint Exuper

5:51PM

Milano P Garibal

5hr16min

France Italy TGV France Italy TGV 9245

7:05PM

Milano Centrale

9:40PM

Venezia S Lucia

2hr35mi

When we went from Switzerland to Monte Carlo, we changed trains 5 times, and left at 8:30 AM and arrived at 8 PM. It was very comfortable, we could see all the scenery and walk around and have a nice lunch.

Would the OP be able to check-in on the ship if they arrive at 1 or 2 a.m. while the ship is docked in Venice? If no then this could make for a long and expensive trip if the OP would need to get a hotel room in Venice the night before boarding the ship.

Would the OP be able to check-in on the ship if they arrive at 1 or 2 a.m. while the ship is docked in Venice? If no then this could make for a long and expensive trip if the OP would need to get a hotel room in Venice the night before boarding the ship.

The train arrives at 9:40 PM in the Venice Ferrovia station, which is fairly close to the ship.

I am sure they could check in that night. Passengers arrive at all hours. especially with the flight delays we have been seeing.

We took the TGV from Geneva to Nice on our trip- It was very comfortable, and the fact that you can get up and walk around was a real plus.

Conversely, they could catch a flight out of Marseille to Venice which is a 3 and a half hour flight with one stop. It is about 35 miles form Arles to Marseille.

Edited by Talisker92

I am sure they could check in that night. Passengers arrive at all hours. especially with the flight delays we have been seeing.

We took the TGV from Geneva to Nice on our trip- It was very comfortable, and the fact that you can get up and walk around was a real plus.

Conversely, they could catch a flight out of Marseille to Venice which is a 3 and a half hour flight with one stop. It is about 35 miles form Arles to Marseille.

Boarding with.pieces of luggage that can't go through the machines that carry-ons can is what I was thinking may stop someone from boarding at anytime of their choosing. You obviously don't think this will be an issue. I wonder if you would have to leave large suitcases to be scanned in the morning and just board with carry-ons. It would be important to know the correct answer so that one could ensure that they had everything that they needed for the first night and morning of the cruise.

Train really sounds confusing to me. As you probably know, we will be docked in Arles already the night before and they start shuttling people to the airport as early as 6 am the 7th. So would I not be there in time for embarkation? I guess with delays one never knows. Will I find a tremendous difference between Liberty of the Seas and Equinox as a first time cruiser? I think I know the answer.

We did a 10 nght Duoro River cruise in Portugal, then flew to Venice and did a 10 night Azamarra Med Cruise. We did arrive one day ahead in Venice and spent the night in a small hotel. As soon as we set foot on the ship we stuffed a laundry bag full and got everything back in two days.

If we do that miserable flight to Europe we want to stay as long as possible.

Mickie

Edited by mickieandlee
spelling

With airfare to Europe so expensive, I'm thinking of flying to Switzerland, doing a river cruise - Basel to Amsterdam - then a Norway Fjords cruise, then a Trans-Atlantic home. Rather than three separate trips over three years.

Probably too much logistics, and timing would be crucial, and we probably wouldn't be able to buy groceries for several months, but it sure would shorten my bucket list!!

Dream on.....

We've done a river cruise and Med cruise back to back before and really like doing that, if the logistics work out. We usually plan for about 4 days between them to see the city we are embarking or disembarking from.

I think that NCL Epic and Costa ship are in Barcelona around that time- Costa pick up passengers at various ports including B, usually. You're not all that far from Savona/ Genoa, either, where there will be several MSC and Costa ships in and out over the next few days.

My sentiments exactly. Anyhow, about this transfer from Marseilles to Venice....should I forget about the cruise because of timing? I really don't want to do trains and transfers that way.

I think you should stick to something similar to what you already have planned. A river cruise and a week exploring and rexploring France sounds wounderful and relaxing. Getting off of the River Cruise and directly to an airport or train station might be seen as an adventure to some but a chore to others. What I am reading at least, makes me think that this is not an adventure to you but a stress that would have to be absorbed in the middle of your vacation. Since you would still plan on returning to Europe for a cruise vacation next year, I say after you return from this vacation then you can take a look at the cruises for next year and pick the cruiseline, ship and ports that you really want. :)

My sentiments exactly. Anyhow, about this transfer from Marseilles to Venice....should I forget about the cruise because of timing? I really don't want to do trains and transfers that way.

Why not?

Trains in Europe are easy and I generally find traveling that way a lot less painless than flying.

If it was me, I'd definitely do the Celebrity cruise out of Venice following your river cruise. It seems pretty straightforward either by plane or train to get there and get to your ship.

Why not?

Trains in Europe are easy and I generally find traveling that way a lot less painless than flying.

If it was me, I'd definitely do the Celebrity cruise out of Venice following your river cruise. It seems pretty straightforward either by plane or train to get there and get to your ship.

Thanks,Cruisemom, for reflecting our thoughts. To expand on our experience, we are both in our 70's, and we had 3 large suitcases and 2 carryons. We had no trouble making 5 train changes. The OP would only have to make 2 and there was plenty of time between trains. The one trick I came up with was to put the 2 carryons back to back and strap them together with a luggage strap.