Packing for 2 Adults and 1 child - how much luggage?????

RMS95

Packing tonight and trying my best to pack as light as possible, just curious how much you pack and how many pieces of luggage you take for a 5 night cruise. WE have 2 adults and an 11 year old child. Trying to get by with a big check in piece and just 1 carry on!

Packing tonight and trying my best to pack as light as possible, just curious how much you pack and how many pieces of luggage you take for a 5 night cruise. WE have 2 adults and an 11 year old child. Trying to get by with a big check in piece and just 1 carry on!

My DW and myself can fit a 15 day cruise into one airline size carryon.

DH & I take a vary large suitcase & 1 carry-on. The carry on has meds, electronics & water in it. I actually include a king size feather pillow in the big one but it squishes down pretty good.

I do know the more we cruise, the less we take.

I think you can make it work if youre not doing the formal nites... Those clothes take up the most room and need more shoes etc... I would bring plently of cold meds for this time of the year for they are expensive on the ship... I probably bring too much but i rather be prepared.. I would be the one with the flashlight and traveling pharmacy....

Our last cruise was my first ever and we massively overpacked. I ran a load of laundry a few days in and refreshed our clothes stock, and we ended up with outfits that were never even worn. I learned my lesson! I will be packing some detergent for our next cruise with our 4 year old and 6 month old, and run some laundry midweek. It really cuts down on the packing!! And no one cares if you or the kids wear the same pants/shorts or even tops twice!

The problem with one big bag is that you can easily go overweight with this approach. Airlines charge a fortune if your bags are overweight.:eek:

I would cross pack in two smaller suitcases if it were me. This way weight is not an issue and if they misplace one of your bags the vacation will not be ruined. We pack bathing suits and casual wear in each of the bags but we put all formal wear and dressy shoes in one bag.

We are actually driving to port, so no airline issue there. We all take 1 pair of dress pants and 4 different shirts for our MDR nights, then our formal night attire. Aside that, some shorts and tee shirts and undies and socks and our in laws are platinum so we plan to share their laundry service. It's only a 5 night cruise and I swore to myself I wouldn't overpack! I do have a seperate toiletries bad and a small bag for electronics

We are actually driving to port, so no airline issue there. We all take 1 pair of dress pants and 4 different shirts for our MDR nights, then our formal night attire. Aside that, some shorts and tee shirts and undies and socks and our in laws are platinum so we plan to share their laundry service. It's only a 5 night cruise and I swore to myself I wouldn't overpack! I do have a seperate toiletries bad and a small bag for electronics

Why did you write "trying to get by with a big check-in piece" if you are not flying? Very misleading original post to me.

The quoted post above has all the pertinent information that would have helped us answer your question and should have been the post to start with IMHO.

Sounds like enough clothes since you will have laundry service.

Edited by Karysa

Trying to get by with a big check in piece and just 1 carry on!

YIKES! Why? Is the $25 for an extra bag worth not having what you want on the cruise? Can't the 11 year old wheel an extra carry on? Or do you find being on vacation means being free of a lot of "stuff?"

There are two types of people in the world. Those who try to pack as lightly as possible for a cruise and those who pack everything they might ever want, number of bags be damned for a cruise. And each group thinks they pack "just right."

So I'm in the latter group, which should be obvious from my first "Yikes" For two adults we take 2 large checked pieces, 2 smaller but still too big to carry on pieces, and 2 carry ones (albeit small carry ons). Because we like to. My husband will wear two different tuxedos for each formal night on a 10 day cruise. That stuff adds up.

But I know people who carry enough for two people in two carry ons.

Don't worry about what other people do - do what you want to do, but think about why and make sure it's not just a knee jerk reaction.

YIKES! Why? Is the $25 for an extra bag worth not having what you want on the cruise? Can't the 11 year old wheel an extra carry on? Or do you find being on vacation means being free of a lot of "stuff?"

There are two types of people in the world. Those who try to pack as lightly as possible for a cruise and those who pack everything they might ever want, number of bags be damned for a cruise. And each group thinks they pack "just right."

So I'm in the latter group, which should be obvious from my first "Yikes" For two adults we take 2 large checked pieces, 2 smaller but still too big to carry on pieces, and 2 carry ones (albeit small carry ons). Because we like to. My husband will wear two different tuxedos for each formal night on a 10 day cruise. That stuff adds up.

But I know people who carry enough for two people in two carry ons.

Don't worry about what other people do - do what you want to do, but think about why and make sure it's not just a knee jerk reaction.

I think another Yikes will come out of you when you read post # 13 where the OP says she is driving to the port.:D

Only pack for myself and always get by with taking only an 18" wheeled carryon and a small tote that doubles as a purse for any trip ..... be it 5 days, 7 days or 30days. It should be noted I've always had what I wanted and needed in that 18" case. In fact I even return home with items not having been used.

Edited by xxoocruiser

When I said one check in piece, I meant it would not be carried on with me, it will be checked in and delivered to my room later that evening.

I get what you meant now but if you would have said 1 large piece of luggage or given the dimensions and mentioned that you were driving to the port I think that we would have had better information to answer your question that's all.

Edited by Karysa

If we drive, one 36 inch check-in with a small duffle for carry-on. If we fly- two 21 inch wheel ons and 2 small duffles for up to a two week cruise. We don't do formal nights anymore unless we drive. Once your luggage gets lost in Europe you learn to pack lighter and keep it with you at all times.