Joe's Crab Shack?

CruiseNut24

I don't care for crab at all but my wife loves it. The crab legs in the pictures look a bit on the skinny side to me. There can't be a lot of meat in them. Are those in the picture typical of what is served?

Personally I think there's too much work in getting what little reward there is with crab. I'd probably eat around the crab and chow down on whatever there is along side. The steamer pot sounds good tho.

Edited by Treven

We tried the Star Princess on the way to Alaska. It was offered 4 nights and we tried the first available. The children's programs were still operating the floor above us and so we had the soundtrack of a ball game of some sort. Check this is NOT happening when you book.

The food was not the best and it was not worth even thinking to book one of the three other nights it was offered. Battered and deep fried anything should never be on the menu if you are charging me $20 extra. Then again, it may be your style.

* The ship reversed the charges after we complained.

Can anyone tell me if I can book this on formal night in Horizon Court on Star Princess for our Jan. cruise? We do not wish to partake in formal nights and this would be nice to do instead. :)

If it is offered that evening you sure can.

Unlike the specialty restaurants the Crab Shack is not offered every evening so check the patter after you board.

Mike:)

There is also a Joe's Crab Shack in Ft. Lauderdale.

Been to that one several times - not the same as the casual "back porch" Joe's Crab Shacks that are a chain. The one in Ft Lauderdale is much more expensive and a totally different than the chain - not sure if they are owned by the same corp - they may be.

Oops - my bad - thinking of Joe's Stone Crab in Ft Lauderdale.

Edited by mek

Been to that one several times - not the same as the casual "back porch" Joe's Crab Shacks that are a chain. The one in Ft Lauderdale is much more expensive and a totally different than the chain - not sure if they are owned by the same corp - they may be.

Joes Stone Crab is a must do at least once just to see all the grand daughters that come to dinner with their grand fathers. ;)

The one I mentioned is in Lauderhill.

Joes Stone Crab is a must do at least once just to see all the grand daughters that come to dinner with their grand fathers. ;)

Must be the same Grandpa's who take the granddaughters to Vegas! :D

There is a Joe's Crab Shack on University Dr in Lauderhill and also on Federal highway in Fort Lauderdale.

Not to be confused with Joe's Stone Crab of South Beach

I personally think the confusion is intentional.

Look at the confusion in even this thread. What a bonus for Joe's Crab Shack.

Edited by pablo222

Are you able to have seconds of the bucket of what ever you ordered. Or it is a one time here is your food, no more?

We cruised on the August 9th sailing of the Caribbean Princess & did the Crab Shack before we left Cozumel. We made reservations 1 day earlier for the time we wanted. The video on the stateroom tv advertising the Crab Shack said that if you finished everything that was given to you, then you could have a 2nd pot. Not sure if that is the way it works in practice though, since we never asked for more of anything. We were satisfied with the portion that was served to us since it filled both of us up. Maybe someone else on CC has more actual experience regarding requesting refills & getting it.

We cruised on the August 9th sailing of the Caribbean Princess & did the Crab Shack before we left Cozumel. We made reservations 1 day earlier for the time we wanted. The video on the stateroom tv advertising the Crab Shack said that if you finished everything that was given to you, then you could have a 2nd pot. Not sure if that is the way it works in practice though, since we never asked for more of anything. We were satisfied with the portion that was served to us since it filled both of us up. Maybe someone else on CC has more actual experience regarding requesting refills & getting it.

I am sure they are trying to cut down on waste, I doubt they will deny anyone a second helping.

Remember they don't want any confrontations. :D

we were on the Star Princess in July and had the crab shack dinner. Very much worth the $20. per person. Nice to have a different kind of meal. And because the horizon court at the back was cordoned off from the rest of the Horizon Court area, it felt special.

On Coral, the crab shack was held at lunch time in Bayou Cafe.

Are you able to have seconds of the bucket of what ever you ordered. Or it is a one time here is your food, no more?
The told us that people usually order just one mixed steamer for 2 or 3 people. There were four of us, and we ordered 2 steamers plus an order of crawfish (which were not as good as the crab). We finished everything and asked for an additional pot of king crab legs. :D
Probably at least $30 on land for the meal you'd get onboard ship.
Our meal would have cost a lot more than $30 on land!

One slightly negative note is that the desserts were the same as the ones on the buffet that night. So it's not like the other specialty dining venues, which have their own desserts that you can only get there. The crab shack is all about the crab, so focus on that!

I LOVE the crab shack on Princess ships. I've experienced it on the Royal and Ruby. Well worth the $20 cover charge as there is plenty of food and I've always been asked if I wanted more of something, just haven't accepted the offer.

Our meal would have cost a lot more than $30 on land!

The crab shack is all about the crab, so focus on that!

Actually my $30 guesstimate was the bill for me, a single diner.

Edited by Treven