Late May 2014 Cruise - First Time Cruisers

TNguy12

Debating between Zaandam out of Seattle or Zuiderdam or Volendam, both out of Vancouver. All have an itinerary that hits Glacier bay.....it seems that most folks recommend sailing out of Vancouver to take advantage of the scenery and calm waters of the Inside Passage, however, it would appear that the Zaandam receives slightly higher marks than Zuiderdam or Volendam and airfare in and out of Seattle would be cheaper and more convenient.

Thoughts?

Debating between Zaandam out of Seattle or Zuiderdam or Volendam, both out of Vancouver. All have an itinerary that hits Glacier bay.....it seems that most folks recommend sailing out of Vancouver to take advantage of the scenery and calm waters of the Inside Passage, however, it would appear that the Zaandam receives slightly higher marks than Zuiderdam or Volendam and airfare in and out of Seattle would be cheaper and more convenient.

Thoughts?

I would go with the Zuiderdam as it is a larger, newer ship than the others and that seems to be making a difference with HAL now. The inside passage is much more scenic and calm. We have been recently on the Zaandam and while good, it is falling behind on the food front.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Thoughts?

I've done both itineraries on these ships. I enjoyed the Zaandam more but that's because I like the smaller ships a little better than the bigger ships. That being said I really enjoyed the Inside Passage and all of the wildlife that we saw while on the Zuiderdam. I think either choice is a good one.

Edited by Cruiser Andi

Take the Zuiderdam. Out of Vancouver its more scenic because you go up and back between Vancouver Island and the mainland. Less chance of rough seas. The Zuiderdam was built for scenic cruising and has more balconies than the Zaandam and the Volendam and there is a better chance of getting a better sale price on a balcony on this ship than the others due to supply and demand. For example last May I got a VA balcony for $899 Canadian including taxes plus $75 each on board credit. The Zuiderdam has about the best food on the HAL fleet but their entertainment sucks.

If the air fare is too expensive to Vancouver You can fly into Seattle or Bellingham and take either the Quick Shuttle or Amtrak the rest of the way to Vancouver, up to 3 more hours traveling time depends which city. Bellingham Airport is about 20 minutes away from the border crossing and then another 45 minutes or so to the port of Vancouver. Add an hour and a half to 2 hours travel time from Seattle.

If you really want to cruise out of Seattle the Zaandam's food and dining room service isn't great. If you don't mind getting your food served cold to lukewarm then that won't be an issue for you, food and service is subjective after all. Cutbacks, servers are rushed due to lack of assistants, they can only be in so many places at one time. Food sits too long in the kitchen getting cold. The entertainment on the Zaandam is really good. Cruising out of Seattle you cruise on the west side of Vancouver Island, open to the ocean. Could be rougher seas.

Volendam. It's the same size as the Zaandam (sister ship), but does the same itinerary as the Zuiderdam. Only it does it on Wednesday, so you share the ports (including disembarkation) with fewer people! :D

Volendam also offers you the opportunity to take a shore excursion catamaran ride up Tracy Arm. That's special right there!

If flying in/out of Vancouver is too rich for your blood, then take the suggestion to fly in/out of Seattle, take a leisurely ride between the cities, and spend some extra time in each of them. They are well worth it.

I'm pretty sure Zaandam sails out of Vancouver in May 2014. You said in your post on the Alaska board that you want Glacier Bay. That would eliminate Zaandam, I think -- I'm pretty sure it goes to Tracy Arm Fjord.

You are right. Zaandam does sail out of Vancouver in May and does sailing into Tracy Arm instead of Glacier Bay.

Thanks so much for the great feedback! I'm an obsessive travel researcher/planner and am probably greatly overthinking this. We've narrowed it down to the Volendam and Westerdam (in my post I incorrectly said Zaandam went out of Seattle to Glacier...its the Westerdam). I think the itinerary for Volendam is 'better' based on port times, etc....but I'm sure either one will be great! Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!