Island Princess vs Coral Princess???

meemo

I am planning on going to Alaska in 2006 on either the Island or Coral Princess. I know they are sister ships with the same layout but I have noticed that there seem to be more positive reviews for the Coral than there are for the Island (at least of the ones I have seen...) I was wondering if maybe there is a difference in staff, service, food, entertainment or something like that?? If anyone has been on both, I'd love to hear your comments comparing the 2 ships. Thanks!!

I am planning on going to Alaska in 2006 on either the Island or Coral Princess. I know they are sister ships with the same layout but I have noticed that there seem to be more positive reviews for the Coral than there are for the Island (at least of the ones I have seen...) I was wondering if maybe there is a difference in staff, service, food, entertainment or something like that?? If anyone has been on both, I'd love to hear your comments comparing the 2 ships. Thanks!!

Maybe there is a difference with staff. I have sailed on both...both times to the Panama Canal. The Island is not doing the Canal anymore since the Coral took that itinerary. Perhaps that makes the difference. In any case, both ships are just about identical except for color scheme. I really enjoyed both. They are my favorite ships, but for some inexplicable reason, I enjoyed the Coral a slight, very slight, bit more.

We had terrific staff on Island. In fact, I remember more of the staff on Island than Coral. So, at least for me (and to the extent that I'm aware of it, anyway!) that wasn't it. There was some other indefinable quality...I think. It may be nothing more than that I sailed Island first.

On the Coral, where do most of the staff originate?

IF there was great staff on the ship a year ago, I would guess that everyone is on a different contract and a large majority are on different ships now. Staff on ships change very frequently so I wouldn't go on one ship or the other based on staff a year ago.

Coral ~ as I read down through the posts I was thinking the same thing! We're on the Island next year to Alaska and can't wait :D

Meemo ~ come join us on the Island 5/29/06 sailing! We have a nice roll call started already and the rates are great at that time of year.

Linda

Coral - Let me rephrase my question. ;)

What country does Princess use to hire their majority of staff. For instance, HAL hires mostly Indonesian crew. Nothing wrong with that, but a diverse crew is more interesting. RCCL hires crew from all over. It is very enjoyable to cruise with RCCL.

Coral - Let me rephrase my question. ;)

What country does Princess use to hire their majority of staff. For instance, HAL hires mostly Indonesian crew. Nothing wrong with that, but a diverse crew is more interesting. RCCL hires crew from all over. It is very enjoyable to cruise with RCCL.

The answer to your question is all over, similiar to RCCL.

Meemo ~ come join us on the Island 5/29/06 sailing! We have a nice roll call started already and the rates are great at that time of year.

Linda

Linda - thanks for the invite, but we are already booked on the Island Princess 06/05/06 sailing out of Anchorage!!! I started this thread because after reading some reviews I was wondering if I should switch to the Coral Princess. After reading people's replies, I think we will stay with the Island and be VERY HAPPY :D. Can't join your sailing cuz my husband wont be able to use his vacation time til after June 1st. But, you take good care of the ship for us, cuz we'll be getting on the day you are getting off!!! :) We are splurging and have one of those wonderful, large, half-covered balconies on the Caribe deck - can't wait

Meemo ~ Okay, we'll hand the ship off to you in Whittier ;) We splurged on our cabins too but decided on a mini suite -aft so we could have a fully covered balcony :D

Have a great cruise and come by and chat with us on the roll call thread and H2OBabe has started on for your sailing!

Archived