Century - your thought please

baycruising

We are on the February 15 cruise and are looking forward to sailing on the Century. But answer this question for me, "Why does anyone care if the officers are out and about and being friendly?" Maybe it's an age thing, but we aren't exactly young, 62 years old. Talking to these people make us uncomfortable. We try to avoid them. I just want them to do their jobs.

I don't chat with the officers much at all, but had the sense on Century that they had eyes on everything happening because they weren't squirreled away in an office oblivious to cleanliness, grumpiness, careless buffets, and so on.

The best way I can describe Century is that it was a "happy ship" where the crew seemed glad to be there. Some ships are like that and passengers can sense it.

I don't chat with the officers much at all, but had the sense on Century that they had eyes on everything happening because they weren't squirreled away in an office oblivious to cleanliness, grumpiness, careless buffets, and so on.

The best way I can describe Century is that it was a "happy ship" where the crew seemed glad to be there. Some ships are like that and passengers can sense it.

TOTALLY agree! Century is one of our favorite ships.

We are on the February 15 cruise and are looking forward to sailing on the Century. But answer this question for me, "Why does anyone care if the officers are out and about and being friendly?" Maybe it's an age thing, but we aren't exactly young, 62 years old. Talking to these people make us uncomfortable. We try to avoid them. I just want them to do their jobs.

Yes! IMHO, a Captain (and crew) who are constantly visible have a more responsive staff. I think it just keeps them on their toes! :cool:

We (mother, sister and I) just booked a 14 night cruise on the Century in January 2015. Our other option was a similar length cruise on the Millennium but the Century had a better itinerary so it won out.

I wasn't too sure about the Century being the oldest ship and about to be sold but reading this thread it seems like the ideal sized ship for us, not too big and not too small while having good food and service. Previously we have only sailed on P&O Australia's locally based Pacific Dawn which is similar in size to the Century but with more of a "party atmosphere" which isn't really what we're after.

We loved Silhouette and are eagerly anticipating New Zealand on Solstice. Now thinking about the south pacific on Century but rather put off by some comments and the news that Century will be leaving X. Does this mean she might be looking very tired by October 2014?

Would appreciate views of recent cruisers please

We have a very active great R/C going for the T/P that leaves San Francisco bound for Sydney on September 16th...is that the one you are considering?

We were on Century for T-Day cruise to Hawaii and have been on her several other times. I like her size and the lay-out...she doesn't need some TLC but that should be taken care of in dry-dock. Hope you decide to join us!! LuAnn

We certainly enjoyed the Century on our fall '13 Pacific coastal cruise. A few issues with worn carpet and chairs in a few public rooms, but a great staff and a very clean ship. We certainly ate well, with a few minor exceptions of items not to our taste and loved the old world elegance and smaller size. Each class of ship in the fleet has its own positives and negatives, but we always find that we have a great time!

Hi Chris! We were in the same Sky Suite the cruise before Kellie Poodle and indeed the Butler was useless! His supervisor had been our Butler in another Sky Suite the year before and he was useless too! Anyway the food was excellent except for one off lobster tail but that was made right immediately. And this is said after sailing Aqua on Solstice class many times and loving the food in Blu. We are going on Century this summer in Alaska and are hoping to book B2B Singapore-Dubai, Dubai - Rome 29 nights spring of 2015! The ship was spotless, staff wonderful and management very visible - can't beat that!

We sailed on her in December, 2012 for our 55th anniversary. She was wonderful. The crew was absolutely the best crew we have ever had and the Captain was visible everywhere. We were made to feel we were special which, I think, everyone wants to feel on a cruise. Would sail on her any time.

mprcruiser

We (mother, sister and I) just booked a 14 night cruise on the Century in January 2015. Our other option was a similar length cruise on the Millennium but the Century had a better itinerary so it won out.

I wasn't too sure about the Century being the oldest ship and about to be sold but reading this thread it seems like the ideal sized ship for us, not too big and not too small while having good food and service. Previously we have only sailed on P&O Australia's locally based Pacific Dawn which is similar in size to the Century but with more of a "party atmosphere" which isn't really what we're after.

My sentiments exactly. We have booked the Jan 2015 cruise to Singapore and having just come off Carnival are looking forward to less "partying" with 12 year olds. Not complaining, just saying that you pick the cruise that suits.