Newbie - Dress Code?

rhinomike

OK.

Seems acceptable to me -the dress code - I travel in a lightweight khaki linen suit anyway so that will have to do. Airline luggage restrictions make anything else a tad of a problem and I have not worn a tie for 20 years.

Now its just convincing my teens whos idea of smart is jeans and tees

I was expecting to see(according to this board) TUXs every where on formal nights, yes there were a number of them, but suits, and sports coats, or shirt and tie or with out was the norm, and yes even jeans with t shirt were seen on formal night. So dress as you like, or are comfortable with, just look nicer, than usual, please no shorts, or used big overhauls.

If money was no issue for me, I would go with the Windstar cruises, or similar company. We are non formal people be dress classy modern if we can find something modern that fits right at our age. LOL

Edited by north29

The vast majority will be dressed according to the dress code.

You will find plenty of reports on here that would suggest this is patently false. A perusal of dress code threads on here (new ones started almost daily) will reveal a campaign by a small but vociferous group who refuse to accept that the tradition of formal night appears to be making its last dying gasps.

(for the record, I am looking forward to donning my tux - but do not subscribe to the belief that everyone else should be made to do the same).

You will find plenty of reports on here that would suggest this is patently false. A perusal of dress code threads on here (new ones started almost daily) will reveal a campaign by a small but vociferous group who refuse to accept that the tradition of formal night appears to be making its last dying gasps.

I suppose it's all a question of perspective. I'd be more inclined to say that a perusal of dress code threads will reveal a campaign by a small but vociferous group who refuse to accept the traditions of formal night.

Edited by Fouremco

Do what we are doing in March....get a suite and have your butler serve you the MDR food, by course, in your own cabin, wearing what you like! :)

You can do this in any stateroom which is one of the great things about Celebrity.

Sue

I appreciate all this information too, since hubs and I will be enjoying our first Celebrity cruise next month. Sounds very similar to Princess. I, for one, very much enjoy dressing up and feeling pretty on the formal nights. My husband, however, usually prefers casual casual casual when he's on vacation. "Why would I want to tie a noose around my neck when I'm supposed to be relaxing?" is what he likes to say. BUT... our daughter got married this past summer and he purchased a tux for the wedding and this time he is actually looking forward to wearing his tux on the formal nights. We were so busy at the wedding that we neglected to get nice photos of ourselves, so we are hoping to take advantage of a photographer on the Reflection when we are all gussied up! :)

Not a newbie to cruise ships but never sailed on Celebrity. We are just getting tired of Carnival. Looking for a new cruise line. I like Celebritys non- smoking policy. We are also a fan of traditional cruise dinning in the MDR.

Money is not an issue for us. The only thing stopping me from booking the luxury lines is dress code. We are casual and don't like to dress up. But we love having dinner in the MDR. I don't mind being on the lower end of the dressed up passengers. On Carnival I wear nice shorts, shirt and shoes to the MDR. On elegant night I wear slacks, dress shoes and a polo. What about Celebrity? What is the dress code and what is real? Thank you.

On the 3 lines we have cruised, have never once seen shorts in the MDR. Would never have considered it.

That being said....

DH took suit jacket first few cruises; he doesn't anymore. Dress shirt & tie for formal nights has been sufficient. Just can't see putting on a jacket to walk into a dining room, take it off to eat, carry it out & put it away...of course, I love to dress for dinner EVERY night on a cruise...:p

Our first cruise one of our fellow diners wore a polo the 2nd formal night. His wife threw a fit. He said his jacket was too tight. No one cared--we thoroughly enjoyed his (and her) company; we were more concerned that they were there than whether he wore a jacket or not.

I would say other than Carnival & NCL, shorts are not considered proper MDR attire--and you won't see many, if any. But formal night will bring a wide range of attire & you won't be turned away if you aren't in a jacket.

Kind of close to just "casual". A better way would be nice khackis,short sleeve collar dress shirt(Ralph Lauren type)Leather "upper"deck shoes such as Rock Port/Timberland/ etc. are fine. Leave the "canvas" converse for day casual.

To me a linen shirt & pants (from OP you quoated) are less casual than what you suggest above.

And OP did not mention canvas converse deck shoes--just converse deck shoes.

But either outfit is perfectly appropriate in the MDR

In August I observed a man wearing slacks and a patterned shirt turned away from the MDR on formal night with a statement from the hostess like this: "Sir, we'd like it if you'd wear either a tie or a jacket. Please go back to your room and get one of those and then we'll seat you."

He came back with a jacket and a smile and everyone was happy.

The hostess was super friendly about the whole thing and delivered it in a way that you felt you'd be disappointing her if you didn't comply.

This was on Infinity, British Isles itinerary, Select seating, formal night.

If because it was a British Isles itinerary/longer? itinerary the expectation was more formal than say a Caribbean cruise?

Edited by KKB

Sport coat, nice shirt, nice pants, dress shoes. Bare minimum that's all men really need for formal night to dine in the MDR.

From there you can "add on" a tie if you want, or wear a suit, or even a tux.

My first Celebrity cruise, I brought my sport coat and I fit right in. There was a nice mix of what I was wearing, suits, and tuxes. This next cruise I am renting a tux.

I suppose it's all a question of perspective. I'd be more inclined to say that a perusal of dress code threads will reveal a campaign by a small but vociferous group who refuse to accept the traditions of formal night.

I agree that perspectives can differ. Most of the recent reviews however indicate that relatively few tux's are worn and in fact Celebrity doesn't require them - hence, formal night is dying (personally I wish it wasn't as I have romantic notions of experiencing what my Dad experienced as a steward aboard the great Cunard liners of the 40's and 50's - this seems less less and less likely with every review I read. Again, I will be doing my part by wearing my tux).

These threads remind me of the Paris and Rome boards on Tripadvisor which are flooded with claims of "no one wears jeans there" - which, as anyone who has travelled there will recognize, are utterly false.

I agree that perspectives can differ. Most of the recent reviews however indicate that relatively few tux's are worn and in fact Celebrity doesn't require them - hence, formal night is dying (personally I wish it wasn't as I have romantic notions of experiencing what my Dad experienced as a steward aboard the great Cunard liners of the 40's and 50's - this seems less less and less likely with every review I read. Again, I will be doing my part by wearing my tux).

These threads remind me of the Paris and Rome boards on Tripadvisor which are flooded with claims of "no one wears jeans there" - which, as anyone who has travelled there will recognize, are utterly false.

I certainly agree that there is a slow and, I suppose, inevitable change in the direction of less formal attire. Simply a reflection of the way society is changing, although the pendulum may swing back in the fullness of time. In terms of those opposing the change, I believe that there are two broad groups: those who are simply unwilling to face the fact that change is already underway, and those who recognize it but feel that it is important to follow the established rules until they are updated officially by Celebrity.

Did your father ever sail Cunard's Samaria? My family moved to England in 1948 (ship forgotten) and returned in 1954 on the Samaria. I was only 6 at the time and don't remember a great deal other than snippets of life aboard. For example, sitting on deck on a teak lounger with a blanket wrapped around me while sipping hot consommé from china cups.

Some people (mostly men) hate to be dressed formal while on vacation and prefer to feel comfortable in casual clothings; other people enjoy from time to time to dress casual and to share it with other people also formally dressed contributing to create a special atmosphere.

Taking into account that the number of formal nights is relatively small, I think that the people hating to be formal should not try to test what is the bare minimal that will allow them to be accepted in the MDR but should rather use one of the other alternatives: buffet, specialty restaurants, in-cabin dining.

Please don't be offended but I think that everybody should be free to enjoy what they are comfortable with but should also avoid to interfere with what the other passengers are looking for.

Did your father ever sail Cunard's Samaria? My family moved to England in 1948 (ship forgotten) and returned in 1954 on the Samaria. I was only 6 at the time and don't remember a great deal other than snippets of life aboard. For example, sitting on deck on a teak lounger with a blanket wrapped around me while sipping hot consommé from china cups.

I just took this pic of a page in the only known discharge book to be left of the many he must have had once.

8fbe5697-e8a5-4ded-8bb9-9ee795840fe8.jpg

Edited by wpgcycler
grammar

Not a newbie to cruise ships but never sailed on Celebrity. We are just getting tired of Carnival. Looking for a new cruise line. I like Celebritys non- smoking policy. We are also a fan of traditional cruise dinning in the MDR.

Money is not an issue for us. The only thing stopping me from booking the luxury lines is dress code. We are casual and don't like to dress up. But we love having dinner in the MDR. I don't mind being on the lower end of the dressed up passengers. On Carnival I wear nice shorts, shirt and shoes to the MDR. On elegant night I wear slacks, dress shoes and a polo. What about Celebrity? What is the dress code and what is real? Thank you.

Sorry, but that's unacceptable on most lines. At least wear a decent pair of slacks & dress style short sleeve shirt at dinner in the mdr.. If you can't do that, then either stick to the buffets or stick to Carnival. Some pax do like to dress somewhat decently for dinner when going out. Is this how you dress at fine restaurants?? I'd be surprised any would let you in.

(for the record, I am looking forward to donning my tux - but do not subscribe to the belief that everyone else should be made to do the same).

The dress code does not specify a tux only. Ever since I started cruising on Celebrity in 1993 a suit or dinner jacket and slacks have been part of the formal dress code. As far as reports here, I would suggest that the small but vociferous group belongs to those who don't like to dress up and seldom if ever have been on a Celebrity ship, but what do I know. I only go by my own in person experience which is fairly extensive on Celebrity ships.

Sorry, but that's unacceptable on most lines. At least wear a decent pair of slacks & dress style short sleeve shirt at dinner in the mdr.. If you can't do that, then either stick to the buffets or stick to Carnival. Some pax do like to dress somewhat decently for dinner when going out. Is this how you dress at fine restaurants?? I'd be surprised any would let you in.

Yes. This is how I dress at fine resteraunts. I have NEVER been turned away or questioned. Times have changed. We frequent 5 star resteraunts and dress ranges from shorts with Polos to jackets and ties. It doesn't make the food taste any different.

If I am in Chilis, Denny's or McDonald's and you come in dressed foraml in a tux I won't mind. My food will taste the same. It will not affect my time. I have better things to do than gossip about you, look down on you or worry about it.

Now I try to follow the rules but I also like to be comfortable. I have been on other cruise lines and have seen many passengers with shorts in the MDR. But if you read on here members say no and it s not acceptable. Just trying to get a feeling of Celebrity since w have never tried it out.