Deviation and transfer fees vs. pre- and/or post-cruise hotel package

AfriCan

As an O newbie, I'm hoping for some clarification on the above-mentioned matter by those O veterans who have had experience with the same situation.

I've read on some of the previous posts regarding making use of a deviation, that a deviation fee and airport-hotel-cruise terminal transfer fee(s) may be avoided by booking an Oceania pre- and/or post-cruise hotel package. Is this correct? Does an O pre- or post-cruise hotel-stay include the transfers between airport/hotel/cruise terminal?

Deviation and (potential) transfer fees add up to over $800 for two of us on a Valpo-PPT cruise. This does not include the potential cost differential in flying in two days earlier or possibly departing up to two days after the cruise ended. Would one have to book the hotel package at both ends of the cruise (if additional nights are applicable) to be valid? We are considering arriving 1 - 2 days before cruise departure and possibly staying another night or two (on Moorea) after the cruise ended.

Well ...

We haven't taken the pre- or post-cruise hotels. I do believe (from what I have read here) that with the hotel booking you DO get the free transfer.

(Feel free to correct me, you guys who have done this.)

However, I'm not sure what benefit there is to take the hotel benefit if it is for more than one day. If you come in the day before, using O's hotels, it can become cost effective because even though the hotel is vastly overpriced, if you add in the transfer fees, it becomes worth it. But if you want to go in earlier than one day ahead, as far as I can tell it is NOT cost effective. (Another note: it used to be that the ship hotel prices were per person, not per room. But more recently I have seem SOME rates that are per room. You need to read carefully.)

You *can* book the same hotels on your own for much less money. It does depend on how you want to handle it.

We have never booked the Oceania hotel package just because of the price. We tend to do in 2-3 days ahead, and stay 2-3 days behind ... and it seems to me in that case that we wouldn't get the benefit of a transfer.

Normally we just catch a cab from the airport to our hotel (or to the port). On occasion we've hooked up with people on our roll call and joined up for a transfer with them. Always MUCH cheaper than the O transfer.

I guess the answer is you need to do your research ...

P.S. We haven't done the South Seas (other than an Auckland-Sydney cruise, if that counts here). Cabs in Papeete may be a whole 'nother ball of wax. If indeed -- do they exist?

Mura

Welcome to Oceania!

I can see why you have a question. It seems that there have been changes in pre/post cruise hotel inclusions and pricing since 2012. And based on our experiences, those changes did not come all at once.

Our most recent experience (late 2013) where we took Oceania's air and a one night stay before sailing, our transfers from airport to hotel and then from hotel to ship were included. We did not have to pay any air deviation fee since it is included in the cost of the pre-cruise.

For our cruise next month, we are not using Oceania's air, but we are doing their pre-cruise hotel. Even without taking their air, transfers from airport to hotel and hotel to pier are included. At the end of the cruise we will be disembarking at Tianjin, China which is 2 1/2 hours from Beijing, and somewhat longer to the airport. We didn't want to be bothered with arranging that transfer, so we have booked one night post-cruise with Oceania and our long transfer from ship to Beijing Marriott and then from that hotel to Beijing airport the next day are included.

On three other sailings, we have not taken the Oceania transfers or pre/post cruise hotels. We feel comfortable in places like Barcelona, London, Istanbul, and Venice and made our own arrangements for transfers, hotels, tours, and longer stays. Cheaper? Yes. As carefree and easy planning? No.

I would agree with the previous posters who indicate that you do your research, decide what you want, how long you will be staying pre/post cruise, and get out the calculator.

Every cruise is different as far as weighing the pros and cons.

Enjoy your cruise!:)

My first suggestion would be that you book through a travel agent who has some experience with booking Oceania Cruises, because you are going to want to price this both independently AND going through Oceania (which won't be easy to figure out, on your own).

Cabs in Papeete are thick as fleas..

Transfer from the airport or around town is fast, cheap well $30 per ride.( that's cheap for Tahiti...home of the $8 can of beer)

There are dozens at the airport for arrivals...this is THE major port for the region it is very well developed....even has a freeway of sorts.

Moorea come a distant second. The rest.... good luck .

Thanks to all for the replies, it certainly answered my questions. I feel confident that I will be able to determine our best option, given what we would like to do before and after the cruise. The purpose was mainly to understand what is included in O hotel-stay (transfer is included) and that an O hotel package will negate the necessity to pay for the deviation and transfer fees (I could not find this information anywhere on their website). Unfortunately the (O-recommended) Canadian travel agents don't seem to know these things offhand. Our preference is still organising our own pre- and post-stay, as we prefer to do things our way. It is, however, also good to know what the cruiseline-provided alternatives are. That way, one can make an informed decision.