Best beach in St. Thomas

bmgrins

I would not recommend Sapphire Beach anymore. I agree with the others here that Sapphire is very beautiful, and I would have highly recommended it 2 weeks ago. But recent developments have changed everything. This is a thread on it in the port of call pages: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1965502. With the dive shop closed at Sapphire, no more chair rental, no restrooms, no snorkel equipment rentals, etc. Taxis are being told not to take cruise passengers there. You can still go there if you want, but it might be difficult getting there, and it could be even more difficult getting back. Taxis will not be expecting to pick up anyone from there. I have had to change our plans for going there.

We're now going to Coki Beach. I hear there is some good snorkeling out there, plus Coral World is right next door if that is of interest. There will be drink service. Magens Bay will be the most crowded beach for sure, and there is no snorkeling.

I have to put in a vote for Coki Beach. We love it there and there are many vendors selling food and drink. Some of the best snorkeling in St. Thomas too IMO.

Cabs (actually open air seating in the back of a truck) to any of the beaches are easily accessed right at the pier and there are always cabs waiting to bring you back. Cab fare is a set fee dictated by local government so you won't be ripped off if you know the rates. There is a site if you google it.

Lindquist I was married there. It's quiet and directly across from the travesty that is now Magen's bay. White sand beaches without the crowds.

El Presidente

Lindquist is not across from Magens but on the north side near Sapphire.:confused: Not sure when you got married, but Lindquist is now operated by the Magens Bay Authority, aka Travesty beach...;)

To the OP: There are all sorts of "best" beaches. Some of them require you bring your own beverages...

We went to Coki last week. I agree easy to get cab, food, drink and loungers. Saw lots of people snorkeling but I just enjoyed the sun. It was very crowded so if you don't like crowds not sure this is a good place. I think it was less crowded further away from Coral world but don't know what amenities are offered.

I would defiantly warn about the traffic returning to the ship. It took us about a half hour to get to Coki but over an hour to return. Plan ahead and don't cut it too close.

Enjoy your day

Sapphire still offers food and drink, just no rentals and - more importantly for day visitors - restrooms.

Coki and SH will certainly be more crowded as a result of the dive center closure at Sapphire, and Magens and Coki are almost always crowded. For someone wanting a beach to relax at with loungers and food/drink Lindbergh (aka Emerald) is a good option. For snorkeling we would choose Secret Harbour or head to the quieter beaches of STJ like Maho.

I'm telling you Lindquist is the unknown gem of St Thomas.

El Presidente

I agree with this! My brother was married on this beach and it was gorgeous, and had very few people on it. Downfall is there isn't any drinks/food/etc.

Morning Star Beach aka Frenchman’s Bay Beach

Nauti: Actually Morning Star beach is associated with the Marriott property. Frenchman's Bay Beach is aka (former) Lime Tree or (current) Bluebeard's Beach Club...

There seems to be some renaming going on via the internet. "Turtle Cove" was an unnamed area off St Thomas's Buck Island until the tour operators named it. Lindbergh Bay (next to the airport formerly named for Charles Lindbergh) has somehow been renamed for one of the hotels on it. Not sure why people don't call it Beachcomber Beach. LOL

Lindqvist Bay, after a local family, was formerly known as Smith Bay and has now been renamed Smith Bay.

Clear as mud? :D

I've only been to Magen's Bay once, and my husband and I were the only 2 people on the beach the entire 4 hours! (There were no cruise ships in port that day!) It's just funny to hear the comments about how crowded it is, and glad we missed that! I should dig up pictures to share.

Personally, we enjoy Lindbergh Bay when cruise ships are in port. It's not often mentioned like some of the others, and maintains a low profile.