Question for RuthC re Large Main Deck K Insides on Vista Class

Chelly

Hi Ruth,

I know you are a fan of the LARGE K Inside Cabins on Main Deck, Vista Class.

I just booked one for the first time, after cruising mainly in balconies. I have however, cruised on occasion in the small insides and outsides.

Here is the question: Have you ever been offered an attractive paid upsell to balcony cabin when booked in K, Main Deck, Vista?

Thanks in advance.

Your fan:),

Chelly

Edited by Chelly

Hi Chelly, not Ruth here but we also will book one of those large J or K category cabins on Main Deck.

The problem is that since we don't really want to give up square footage for a window, we have our res. marked "no upgrade".

It's either the large inside or move up to a verandah.

Unfortunately, we have never been lucky and offered any sort of deal/upsell to a verandah.

I'd love to know if others have gotten that kind of offer and what we have to do to get one too.

Hi Chelly, not Ruth here but we also will book one of those large J or K category cabins on Main Deck.

The problem is that since we don't really want to give up square footage for a window, we have our res. marked "no upgrade".

It's either the large inside or move up to a verandah.

Unfortunately, we have never been lucky and offered any sort of deal/upsell to a verandah.

I'd love to know if others have gotten that kind of offer and what we have to do to get one too.

Hi OVgirl, Thanks for your input. I agree. It will be large inside or balcony, no exceptions. Have you enjoyed the large insides?

Oh now that I think of it I am in the Large J not K....LOL

Oo! A fan, eh? Gee, thanks for that. :)

Actually, it's the J-cabins on Main Deck where I hang out on Vista/Signature ships, but except for location, the cabins are the same.

In answer to your question, I, like OVgirl, have my booking marked "no upgrades". I choose my cabin because I like the size and location, and I'm not about to risk that.

Now, I know that I could still be offered an upsell, but that's never happened, either. If that were to happen, it would depend entirely on the location of the cabin---and the itinerary---whether or not I would take it. If the cruise were to warm areas, I probably would not get any use out of a balcony.

Oo! A fan, eh? Gee, thanks for that. :)

Actually, it's the J-cabins on Main Deck where I hang out on Vista/Signature ships, but except for location, the cabins are the same.

In answer to your question, I, like OVgirl, have my booking marked "no upgrades". I choose my cabin because I like the size and location, and I'm not about to risk that.

Now, I know that I could still be offered an upsell, but that's never happened, either. If that were to happen, it would depend entirely on the location of the cabin---and the itinerary---whether or not I would take it. If the cruise were to warm areas, I probably would not get any use out of a balcony.

Thanks Ruth! It is a J cabin that I booked. Appreciate hearing your experience with upsell

Chelly...are you in a J on the Westerdam 4/15? We're in a J on the Noordam 2/7 when we move over from the Maasdam (where we had an upsell to a lanai). Not a great bargain...but then, I've always wanted to try a lanai.

On the Good Nuts cruise back in '09, Ruth invited me to see her J on the Noordam...it is HUGE.

So, I will let you know how we like it. Personally, I would prefer a shower. Not tub/shower.

Chelly...are you in a J on the Westerdam 4/15? We're in a J on the Noordam 2/7 when we move over from the Maasdam (where we had an upsell to a lanai). Not a great bargain...but then, I've always wanted to try a lanai.

On the Good Nuts cruise back in '09, Ruth invited me to see her J on the Noordam...it is HUGE.

So, I will let you know how we like it. Personally, I would prefer a shower. Not tub/shower.

Yes, my friend, I needed to make the Westerdam 4/11/15 cruise as economical as possible so I booked a large J cabin on Main Deck instead of my usual balcony. Cruising solo gets pricey. I look forward to hearing what you think about your J. On the Westerdam last week, one of the cabin stewards allowed me to stand in the open doorway of a large J and I was impressed with the size.

Off Topic, but I did love my Signature Suite on the Jan 4 Westy but really don't need all that space....(never thought I'd say that...LOL)

Edited by Chelly

Yes, my friend, I needed to make the Westerdam 4/11/15 cruise as economical as possible so I booked a large J cabin on Main Deck instead of my usual balcony. Cruising solo gets pricey. I look forward to hearing what you think about your J. On the Westerdam last week, one of the cabin stewards allowed me to stand in the open doorway of a large J and I was impressed with the size.

Off Topic, but I did love my Signature Suite on the Jan 4 Westy but really don't need all that space....(never thought I'd say that...LOL)

Here is a link to photos of the large inside.

We had it in November - it was excellent for a familily of four.

We politely declined upsells to a balcony as we needed more space of the large inside.

For a solo I prefer standard insides - more choices for better location and it saves some money.

Unless we book a GUAR, our choice of cabin is final at the time of booking, so we mark "no upgrades".

We politely declined upsells to a balcony as we needed more space of the large inside.

For a solo I prefer standard insides - more choices for better location and it saves some money.

Unless we book a GUAR, our choice of cabin is final at the time of booking, so we mark "no upgrades".

Thanks Cruisetrail. I appreciate your posting the excellent photos.

I got a Main deck K cabin on Westerdam as a gty. When I was planning a 24 day cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam with my sister, I booked the same K cabin, and asked NO UPGRADE EXCEPT TO A SUITE. Would not accept a regular balcony. Want the space! EM

Wonder if a CA OV cabin is bigger than inside J cabin ? I believe our CA 10002 is about 276 sq ft but I'm expecting vibration as it is close to the bow.

Chelly, take a look at the deckplan for your cabin, and see if it is connecting or not. The bed(s) are positioned differently if it's a connecting cabin.

There's a sort of alcove formed by the bathroom walls. If the cabin is not connecting, the bed(s) is tucked in the alcove so that the foot of the bed is near the closets. That makes the aisles along the bed narrow, and a little tough getting in/out of the bed.

If it's a connecting cabin, the bed is straight-on facing you as you enter the cabin. This allows an aisle between the bed and the next cabin, and the connecting door is there. It also means that the aisle on the closet side of the bed is extra wide. I find that very convenient both for getting in/out, and for getting my things when getting dressed.

The down-side is you can't easily watch TV from the bed.

On the Vista ships, the TV is set at the desk, and can't be moved. On the E-dam, the TV was set on an expander, so it can be pulled out and swiveled.

Wonder if a CA OV cabin is bigger than inside J cabin ? I believe our CA 10002 is about 276 sq ft but I'm expecting vibration as it is close to the bow.

I have never heard of vibration up so high in a forward cabin. What makes you think there would be? You are so far up from the thrusters, I doubt you would feel a thing.

We have not sailed on the Noordam and noticed this thread about the inside cabins on the Main Deck. We have never been that low on a ship before, always opting for middle deck toward the aft of a ship. Could you comment on being that low on the ship--i.e., more movement, less movement, do you feel like you are in the bowels of the ship? Trying to decide on either OV on Main Deck or Partially Obstructed View (4079/4087) on Deck 4 for someone traveling with us who will have to pay single supplement. If the only OVs available are toward the aft, would you get more noise being that far down? I'm rethinking now that an inside cabin might not be too bad for a 22-day European trip due to your comments. Thanks.

The closer to the pivot point of the ship, the smoother the ride. That's determined fore to aft, side to side, and top to bottom. Main Deck, especially close to mid-ship, is right about there at the pivot point. It's about the smoothest place on the ship.

The passenger areas look just about like all the other passenger areas on the other decks, so there is no sense that you are "in the bowels" of the ship, as you put it. The mid-ship area has the atrium, Front Desk, Shore Excursion Office, and the Future Cruise Consultant's desk, so it feels like a spacious, active area of the ship, too.

The outside cabins have windows above the water line, so there are interesting views of the sea.

Kind of hijacking , but I have a question about the insides on the Vista class as well. 4 people in our group are booked on the Westerdam in 6079 , a " large" inside.

We had a large inside on the Eurodam and were pleased ( Deck 8 on the Eurodam).

Does anyone have any input on 6079 Vista Class? Would there be 1 pullman style bed or 2? Is it one of the "good" insides?

Thanks!

The closer to the pivot point of the ship, the smoother the ride. That's determined fore to aft, side to side, and top to bottom. Main Deck, especially close to mid-ship, is right about there at the pivot point. It's about the smoothest place on the ship.

The passenger areas look just about like all the other passenger areas on the other decks, so there is no sense that you are "in the bowels" of the ship, as you put it. The mid-ship area has the atrium, Front Desk, Shore Excursion Office, and the Future Cruise Consultant's desk, so it feels like a spacious, active area of the ship, too.

The outside cabins have windows above the water line, so there are interesting views of the sea.

Thank you so much RuthC. That is just the information I was looking for!

Kind of hijacking , but I have a question about the insides on the Vista class as well. 4 people in our group are booked on the Westerdam in 6079 , a " large" inside.

We had a large inside on the Eurodam and were pleased ( Deck 8 on the Eurodam).

Does anyone have any input on 6079 Vista Class? Would there be 1 pullman style bed or 2? Is it one of the "good" insides?

Thanks!

6079 is large but not as large as J on Deck 1.

We have not sailed on the Noordam and noticed this thread about the inside cabins on the Main Deck. We have never been that low on a ship before, always opting for middle deck toward the aft of a ship. Could you comment on being that low on the ship--i.e., more movement, less movement, do you feel like you are in the bowels of the ship? Trying to decide on either OV on Main Deck or Partially Obstructed View (4079/4087) on Deck 4 for someone traveling with us who will have to pay single supplement. If the only OVs available are toward the aft, would you get more noise being that far down? I'm rethinking now that an inside cabin might not be too bad for a 22-day European trip due to your comments. Thanks.

As a technical person I like to walk on the Deck 1 (aft from the Atrium) to listen to voice of the engines. A cruise ship is a huge sophisticated machine, but I take it as a live being and love to hear and feel it being alive (noise, vibration, motion, smell, toots...).

However, I don't want to stay in a cabin close to engines.

So ocean view cabins behind the atrium is no go for me. If it's the only option I would rather look for a different date.

Generally, ocean view category is what I never book. I prefer an inside if I want to save or a balcony if I want a balcony.

An obstructed view on Deck 4 is an excellent compromise.

They are lovely cabins conveniently located.

Sometimes they are available at a price of an inside.

If those cabins are within your budget - no doubt.

Cabins on the lowest deck and closest to ship's center of buoyancy (slightly aft midships) are the least affected by motion.

Another consideration regarding large J cabins on Deck 1. This place in flight from the ports that are used in ports of call. As you board the ship, it takes a few seconds to get to your cabin.

Cruisetrail ...

Very helpful. Do you know what the bed configuration might be like? There will be 4 in the stateroom.

As I said we had 8041 on the Eurodam and were quite pleased as it was very spacious and well laid out ( for 3 pax). Would 6079 be comparable in your opinion? Your thread on the ship details is wonderful btw.

Cruisetrail ...

Very helpful. Do you know what the bed configuration might be like? There will be 4 in the stateroom.

As I said we had 8041 on the Eurodam and were quite pleased as it was very spacious and well laid out ( for 3 pax). Would 6079 be comparable in your opinion? Your thread on the ship details is wonderful btw.

Thank you.

I have a strong desire to say that they are the same (sans upper bed).

As a former client of 8041, do you "recognize" it in 6079 picture?

BTW did you have any noise from the public deck above your 8041?

As a technical person I like to walk on the Deck 1 (aft from the Atrium) to listen to voice of the engines. A cruise ship is a huge sophisticated machine, but I take it as a live being and love to hear and feel it being alive (noise, vibration, motion, smell, toots...).

However, I don't want to stay in a cabin close to engines.

So ocean view cabins behind the atrium is no go for me. If it's the only option I would rather look for a different date.

Generally, ocean view category is what I never book. I prefer an inside if I want to save or a balcony if I want a balcony.

An obstructed view on Deck 4 is an excellent compromise.

They are lovely cabins conveniently located.

Sometimes they are available at a price of an inside.

If those cabins are within your budget - no doubt.

Cabins on the lowest deck and closest to ship's center of buoyancy (slightly aft midships) are the least affected by motion.

Another consideration regarding large J cabins on Deck 1. This place in flight from the ports that are used in ports of call. As you board the ship, it takes a few seconds to get to your cabin.

Thank you for the additional information. I was concerned about the noise from the engines. I don't mind motion from the ship and actually like a little rocking side to side in the aft. If prices come down enough, we will spring for a balcony with the single supplement. Otherwise, it will be Obstructed OV on Deck 4 if still available.

Chelly, take a look at the deckplan for your cabin, and see if it is connecting or not. The bed(s) are positioned differently if it's a connecting cabin.

There's a sort of alcove formed by the bathroom walls. If the cabin is not connecting, the bed(s) is tucked in the alcove so that the foot of the bed is near the closets. That makes the aisles along the bed narrow, and a little tough getting in/out of the bed.

If it's a connecting cabin, the bed is straight-on facing you as you enter the cabin. This allows an aisle between the bed and the next cabin, and the connecting door is there. It also means that the aisle on the closet side of the bed is extra wide. I find that very convenient both for getting in/out, and for getting my things when getting dressed.

The down-side is you can't easily watch TV from the bed.

On the Vista ships, the TV is set at the desk, and can't be moved. On the E-dam, the TV was set on an expander, so it can be pulled out and swiveled.

Hi Ruth, Very interesting. I wasn't aware the configuration of connecting cabins was different. No, I'm not in a connecting, and I know those connecting cabin numbers on the Westy were not available for me to book. I will make note of this for future bookings though, and appreciate the extra help you've given me.

FYI, I booked the cabin that has utilities closets on either side of it. You can recognize which one from the Westy deck plan. My thinking was, I wouldn't have a passenger cabin directly next to mine on each side. So, it might be quieter. Any thoughts on this?

As of this writing, there are two LARGE Main Deck J's still available to book on my sailing, across the hall from me and not connecting.

Thank you for taking the time to write. Now I am even more of a FAN!!!:o

Edited by Chelly