Question for RuthC re Large Main Deck K Insides on Vista Class

Chelly

Thank you.

I have a strong desire to say that they are the same (sans upper bed).

As a former client of 8041, do you "recognize" it in 6079 picture?

BTW did you have any noise from the public deck above your 8041?

We did have a lot of noise on one evening during our 12 night cruise. The noise was the night of the dessert extravaganza. I think they washed down the decks and reorganized until very late and it was quite bothersome.

As far as comparing the photo of 6079 to our cabin 8041 ... There are similarities. But there was no sofa ... It was a 3rd cot like bed. And the 3rd bed was near the door in front of the bathroom. There was a small table and 2 chairs near the wall by one of the twin beds , which both had nightstands.

Where do the 3rd and 4th passengers sleep in 6079? I didn't visualize the pullman bed.

Thanks!

Hi! Is this picture of 6079 of a Vista class or Signature class. We have that cabin booked on the Neiuw Amsterdam for a back to back in February. I was hoping for and alcove type of arrangement. It's an I class listed as a "large inside". Any info?

Thanks,

Marybeth

Hi Ruth, Very interesting. I wasn't aware the configuration of connecting cabins was different.

FYI, I booked the cabin that has utilities closets on either side of it. You can recognize which one from the Westy deck plan. My thinking was, I wouldn't have a passenger cabin directly next to mine on each side. So, it might be quieter. Any thoughts on this?

Oh, Chelly, I am so sorry. I think I confused you with my word usage.

I didn't mean to let you think the inside cabins on Main Deck are configured differently from each other; they aren't. It's the orientation of the beds that's different, based on whether or not the cabins are connecting.

There's a 90º rotation of the beds in the connecting cabins in order to make room to pass between the cabins.

That's the only real difference in how the cabins are laid out.

I think I've been in that cabin with the space on each side, on one ship or another. I know I've been in one with a space on one side, and I have been in cabins with a cabin on each side.

I've never heard noise from any of them, with one unusual exception. One time the passenger next door was having a major screaming match, and I could hear that somewhat.

That's the only incident over many, many days down there on several of the Vista/Signature ships.

Hi! Is this picture of 6079 of a Vista class or Signature class. We have that cabin booked on the Neiuw Amsterdam for a back to back in February. I was hoping for and alcove type of arrangement. It's an I class listed as a "large inside". Any info?

Vista or Signature shouldn't make a difference.

Category I or category J can make a definite difference.

Oh, Chelly, I am so sorry. I think I confused you with my word usage.

I didn't mean to let you think the inside cabins on Main Deck are configured differently from each other; they aren't. It's the orientation of the beds that's different, based on whether or not the cabins are connecting.

There's a 90º rotation of the beds in the connecting cabins in order to make room to pass between the cabins.

That's the only real difference in how the cabins are laid out.

I think I've been in that cabin with the space on each side, on one ship or another. I know I've been in one with a space on one side, and I have been in cabins with a cabin on each side.

I've never heard noise from any of them, with one unusual exception. One time the passenger next door was having a major screaming match, and I could hear that somewhat.

That's the only incident over many, many days down there on several of the Vista/Signature ships.

My error Ruth. I misunderstood your explanation, which was actually clearly written. You've helped me to feel comfortable about booking this cabin and location. This just may be the beginning of my being able to cruise more often and on longer itineraries.

Here's another one for you Ruth..... my SIL and her mother want to book a Zaandam cruise to Alaska, and an inside cabin. I've been on the Zaandam and can tell them everything else about it, but know nothing about the best locations or sizes of the inside cabins. Its their first cruise. Any ideas?

Startwin, first off, they want a "large" inside, not a "standard" inside. That's the most important thing, followed by location.

I am especially fond of the insides on Lower Promenade, between the forward and mid-ship elevators.

They are a generous size, with good closet, drawer, and other storage space. The shower is plenty large enough for most bodies, and the vanity is as long as the tub area in outside cabins, with a shelf underneath which is just as long. Plenty of storage space there.

The cabins are handy-dandy to the great outdoors, with expansive viewing, and comfortable loungers, while still allowing quick access back to the cabin.

Those two elevator banks get you to the important public areas quickly, with the exception of a slightly longer walk to the dining room, which is at the aft elevator.

That area is below the Front Office, Shore Excursion Office, Wajang Theatre, and partially under the Pinnacle Grill. All are quiet areas. It's above a passenger cabin deck.

The other area I would recommend is Main Deck, also between forward and mid-ship elevators. The location is pretty much the same as one deck higher, except a few more steps to outdoors. It is sandwiched between two passenger decks, which is quiet.

I can also fill you in on a "sideways" inside on Main Deck, if you are interested in knowing about the differences there.

Dear RuthC,

Thank you for alll the information about the larger inside cabins on Holland America that you have provided in this thread. I appreciate your expertise and clear explanations. You are pleasant in your respones, which is also nice. Thanks again.

soccer

Dear RuthC,

Thank you for alll the information about the larger inside cabins on Holland America that you have provided in this thread. I appreciate your expertise and clear explanations. You are pleasant in your respones, which is also nice. Thanks again.

soccer

Why, thank you for saying so, Soccer. A compliment is always appreciated.

I studied to be a teacher, and ended my career as the statewide trainer for the agency I worked for. Explaining things comes as second nature by now.

And after all those cruises in inside cabins, I know a thing or two about them.

Glad I can help.

Another question, if you don't mind, Ruth. On our upcoming Noordam cruise, we have a J on the Noordam Main Deck...because I still remember looking at yours and how large it was. 1068 I believe. My TA is going to put me in for an upsell to an outside...can't remember the limit I gave her...because we'll be on the Maasdam when upsells come out.

Would you just keep the J instead? I'm thinking along those lines! I'm one who believes in trying new things - the only way we can learn!

Would you just keep the J instead?

LOL! I'm sure I would just keep the J-cabin, Sheila. But then, I'm not part Scottish for nothing! :D

I really don't know enough about the outside cabins on Noordam to say much about them. I know the ones on Main Deck are a lot narrower than the insides across the passageway, as there are about three outside doors for every two inside doors as I walk along. That could make it feel cramped at the doorway area.

Good luck on your decision. And have a couple of great successive cruises!

Startwin, first off, they want a "large" inside, not a "standard" inside. That's the most important thing, followed by location.

I am especially fond of the insides on Lower Promenade, between the forward and mid-ship elevators.

They are a generous size, with good closet, drawer, and other storage space. The shower is plenty large enough for most bodies, and the vanity is as long as the tub area in outside cabins, with a shelf underneath which is just as long. Plenty of storage space there.

The cabins are handy-dandy to the great outdoors, with expansive viewing, and comfortable loungers, while still allowing quick access back to the cabin.

Those two elevator banks get you to the important public areas quickly, with the exception of a slightly longer walk to the dining room, which is at the aft elevator.

That area is below the Front Office, Shore Excursion Office, Wajang Theatre, and partially under the Pinnacle Grill. All are quiet areas. It's above a passenger cabin deck.

The other area I would recommend is Main Deck, also between forward and mid-ship elevators. The location is pretty much the same as one deck higher, except a few more steps to outdoors. It is sandwiched between two passenger decks, which is quiet.

I can also fill you in on a "sideways" inside on Main Deck, if you are interested in knowing about the differences there.

I saw a mention of the sideways cabins on here awhile ago - are they a little bigger, is there any advantage?

Thanks for the info, I have printed it off for her. She originally turned to another source for information - it was a big mistake - she should have asked me first.:cool:

I saw a mention of the sideways cabins on here awhile ago - are they a little bigger, is there any advantage?

Yes, the "sideways" cabins are larger. There is room across for three nightstands, instead of the two that are there. This makes the distance from the couch to the desk greater, too. There's room to dance! :D

The closets are on two different walls, so two people can get to their things without getting into each other's way. I see that as a big advantage.

There are a couple of disadvantages, too.

First, the bathroom opens directly into the cabin, with no privacy curtain. At night, a flashlight or nightlight is helpful, so the bathroom light doesn't have to be turned on to shine onto the other sleeper.

And, because the cabin door opens directly into the visible cabin, it's important for someone coming in (or going out) to be careful that the other person in the cabin have fair warning to be "decent" or hide. :o

Yes, the "sideways" cabins are larger. There is room across for three nightstands, instead of the two that are there. This makes the distance from the couch to the desk greater, too. There's room to dance! :D

The closets are on two different walls, so two people can get to their things without getting into each other's way. I see that as a big advantage.

There are a couple of disadvantages, too.

First, the bathroom opens directly into the cabin, with no privacy curtain. At night, a flashlight or nightlight is helpful, so the bathroom light doesn't have to be turned on to shine onto the other sleeper.

And, because the cabin door opens directly into the visible cabin, it's important for someone coming in (or going out) to be careful that the other person in the cabin have fair warning to be "decent" or hide. :o

You are amazing! Thank you so much.:)

Just my opinion: I would upsell from a LARGE J only to a balcony, which I guess would be unlikely. I wouldn't want to give up the space of J for a window.

Chelly, I agree with you 100%. It's a verandah or an inside. A window without real estate isn't worth the extra $$$$.

Sheila, we have stayed in 1068 on Noordam and had no problems with that cabin. We did not hear any noise from the deck above.

Chelly, I agree with you 100%. It's a verandah or an inside. A window without real estate isn't worth the extra $$$$.

Sheila, we have stayed in 1068 on Noordam and had no problems with that cabin. We did not hear any noise from the deck above.

Thanks! That's good to hear....

• 2 weeks later...

We are sailing for the first time with our adult son. Thinking about the Westerdam and prefer an inside. The I cabins says large or standard. How do you know which cabins are large? Since there's 3 of us in the cabin, we prefer the largest cabin possible. What do you recommend? Thanks. JJ

Thinking about the Westerdam and prefer an inside. The I cabins says large or standard. How do you know which cabins are large?

I know that there are some of the huge I-category cabins on one of the upper decks, but am not sure which.

I just went to the HAL site and looked at the deckplans. I found I-cabins on Upper Veranda Deck, but didn't see any others. If those are the only I-cabins, then those are the huge ones.