Labadee, Falmouth

beshears

Thanks for all the helpful information that has been posted. I did book a beach cabana. They told me to go to the excursion desk as soon, as I got on the ship, to let them know that we needed a wheelchair accessible cabana. So that will be my first stop. I guess the pina colada will just have to be my second stop.:)

Thanks for all the helpful information that has been posted. I did book a beach cabana. They told me to go to the excursion desk as soon' date=' as I got on the ship, to let them know that we needed a wheelchair accessible cabana. So that will be my first stop. I guess the pina colada will just have to be my second stop.:)[/quote']

Your priorities are screwed up. ;)

Jamaica is so much pettier that I had ever imagined, based on reviews. GET OUT of the port, take an excursion. It's gorgeous. We have been on several cruises and Paradise Falls (not to be confused with Dunn Falls) was my kids favorite excursion of all times. These are real legit water fall vs man made. The pools were crystal blue. Big Tour buses don't go there, so there are very many people there. In fact when we were there, there was only one other group. It truly is a tiny bit of paradise. A hidden gem. I suggest you hire a tour guide, to take you through Jamaica. But by all means, get out of the port and explore. How often do you get to visit Jamaica...Enjoy!

Not trying to disappoint but Labadee is terrible... rocky beaches, brownish-green water and is not really a "port" but a private part of haiti owned by Royal Carribbean, so everything is geared towards the cruise lines interests.

Totally disagree with that comment. We have always had a great day there.( It is what you make of it)

I am wondering if it is safe to find a taxi driver at the port to show us some sights and take us to Monetgo Bay for an hour or so rather than doing the ship tour which is over 4 hours. We do this in most other ports but have not done it in Jamaica.

Anyone have any feelings about this one way or the other?

quick question for those who have been on the Western tour- looking to buy a bead for my bracelet - doesn't have to be "P" but like to get something to remember the cruise- which port is the "best" for buying silver. know there isn't big discounts on the P brand but heard silver is still cheaper. thanks

Labadee was our favorite spot. Loved that we didnt have to book anything or make decisions for a day. We got off the ship about an hour after it docked and took tram to Columbus Cove and had the most marvelous beach day. The water was perfect, clear and calm and warm like a bathtub and my 3 year old that is usually scared of pool and ocean walked right in. I also loved that it was an inexpensive day, just had to pay for a few cocktails, bottles of water and a raft rental. Labadee was blah. I love Jamaica, but not this part of Jamaica. We went to Red Stripe beach for day which was fine. Nice beach day, nothing to write home about. I wish they would have more beaches you could go to without having to go all the way ro Montego Bay.

Labadee was our favorite spot. Loved that we didnt have to book anything or make decisions for a day. We got off the ship about an hour after it docked and took tram to Columbus Cove and had the most marvelous beach day. The water was perfect, clear and calm and warm like a bathtub and my 3 year old that is usually scared of pool and ocean walked right in. I also loved that it was an inexpensive day, just had to pay for a few cocktails, bottles of water and a raft rental. Labadee was blah. I love Jamaica, but not this part of Jamaica. We went to Red Stripe beach for day which was fine. Nice beach day, nothing to write home about. I wish they would have more beaches you could go to without having to go all the way ro Montego Bay.

Confused. :confused:

Any one know if they still have the trolley in Falmouth, from the port into town that last 30-60 min? I though that would be a safe way to see the town of Falmouth.

You asked the same question in the Jamaica board. I answered it there, and you responded.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1976872

Jamaica is so much pettier that I had ever imagined, based on reviews. GET OUT of the port, take an excursion. It's gorgeous. We have been on several cruises and Paradise Falls (not to be confused with Dunn Falls) was my kids favorite excursion of all times. These are real legit water fall vs man made. The pools were crystal blue. Big Tour buses don't go there, so there are very many people there. In fact when we were there, there was only one other group. It truly is a tiny bit of paradise. A hidden gem. I suggest you hire a tour guide, to take you through Jamaica. But by all means, get out of the port and explore. How often do you get to visit Jamaica...Enjoy!

I agree 100%. It's a shame that so many don't leave Falmouth. Like they say, "get out there!"

We did the Mystic Mountain excursion in Falmouth on Celebrity...if RC offers it, it was great, DO IT! You go up to the top on a nice slow ski lift ride, take a "Jamaican Bobsled" roller coaster ride down and then up the mountain, then zip line down the mountain. So much fun and we were out all day!

Edited by royalcruz

Actually, you are trying to disappoint. Your opinion is not everyone's. Nellie's beach and Columbus cove are sandy beaches. It's not "terrible". It's a nice beach day. THe water is only brownish because of all the people in it. If you get off the ship early, the water is nice and clear. We're always ashore within 1/2 hour of docking and have enjoyed some beautiful clear water along with our pick of where to sit.

How would you get to Nellie and Columbus beach?? Are they an extra fee? I am trying to figure this out as I am sailing in two weeks on the Oasis.

I am wondering if it is safe to find a taxi driver at the port to show us some sights and take us to Monetgo Bay for an hour or so rather than doing the ship tour which is over 4 hours. We do this in most other ports but have not done it in Jamaica.

Anyone have any feelings about this one way or the other?

I've done some research, there seems to be some really good tour companies that will pick you up and tailor your day to what you want to see. I think it would be well worth the price rather than taking a chance on what a taxi driver might know about the area. We've hired a guide from Real Tours Jamaica. They have wonderful reviews. They have been very prompt at answering all my questions. Another tour guide who is frequently mentioned as being wonderful is Patrice from Patmar Tours.

To the OP, we love Labadee. Last time 2012, loved the upgrades. The zip line, roller coaster, permanent slide. First went in 2005, liked it then. It's only gotten better. Great having a pier instead of tendering. Now we let our teens sleep in & go back for them. The local vendors can be pushy, but to me not worse than cancun. I love to negotiate, so it's fun for me.

Been to Falmouth twice. First time, 2011, I thought the vendors in the square were crazy asking $10-12 for a t shirt. We went outside the gated area & got a good deal. You do have to be aware of where you are on most islands. I grew up in the city, so wasn't nervous. But I also wasn't alone. Second time we did Martha Brae slow rafting. Nice excursion. Very close to port. Came back to port, friends wanted souvenirs, again square vendors high. Went outside again to get a deal.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

For those experienced with Labadee I have a logistic question. We will have an over the water cabana at Nellie's beach during our stay. How far away is the zip line from the beach? Trying to figure out how much of our day would be needed for a ride. :)

Sent from my Droid RAZR M using Tapatalk

I've done some research' date=' there seems to be some really good tour companies that will pick you up and tailor your day to what you want to see. I think it would be well worth the price rather than taking a chance on what a taxi driver might know about the area. We've hired a guide from Real Tours Jamaica. They have wonderful reviews. They have been very prompt at answering all my questions. Another tour guide who is frequently mentioned as being wonderful is Patrice from Patmar Tours.[/quote']

Thanks for the information!

The zip line shack is about a 10 min walk or a 3-4 min tram ride.

It is near where the entrance as you leave the pier, where they take your picture with the life preserver.

When we did the zip line, it took about 90 min. from checking in to having the time of your life zipping:D

Although pricey it is worth the $$$

You will love it

Book early, sometimes the winds come up and afternoon excursions have been known to be cancelled on the zip line ( you get reimbursed), and this way you can enjoy your cabana.

Oh, buy the picture it comes in a neat portfolio with all the details of the zip line...........well worth the money!

Sea Ya

The zip line shack is about a 10 min walk or a 3-4 min tram ride.

It is near where the entrance as you leave the pier, where they take your picture with the life preserver.

When we did the zip line, it took about 90 min. from checking in to having the time of your life zipping:D

Although pricey it is worth the $$$

You will love it

Book early, sometimes the winds come up and afternoon excursions have been known to be cancelled on the zip line ( you get reimbursed), and this way you can enjoy your cabana.

Oh, buy the picture it comes in a neat portfolio with all the details of the zip line...........well worth the money!

Sea Ya

Thanks for all the info. I bought a GoPro video camera so hope to get some good shots with it as my wife and I zip along. :D

We went to Labadee last year on the Allure and enjoyed the beach. We too the little tram to Columbus Cove, it was fine to grab a few beach loungers and a bit of shade from a nearby tree and relax. The water was fine to cool off in. My daugher and her boyfriend did the Jet Ski tour and really had a good time. The BBQ was fine. We also went looking around in the vendor booths near Columbus Cove, just be careful they are very pushy. But I liked what I got, prices negotiable. :D

In Jamaica it was our first time and we went with a private tour company and did a Tubing and Dunns RIver falls. We got a better deal and did what we wanted. The tubing was really fun, we had a great time, our driver wanted us to do the tubing first because he called ahead and there was no one there at the time. Dunns River falls was also an amazing thing to do/see atleast once, in fact I would probably do them both again.

My only other cruise was on the Freedom a few years ago and its what hooked us on cruising. My teenage daughter and I really liked the cupcake class.

Thanks for all the info. I bought a GoPro video camera so hope to get some good shots with it as my wife and I zip along. :D

Bill, this is a first for me.

I always take your scoop and information and file it...........

Along with following your threads that you post with you and your wife.............

Finally I have something to offer:eek:.

Sea Ya

Enjoy

What would you recommend as the best beach for a toddler at Labadee and what is the beach with the aqua park? I do NOT want to be near that beach that has the aqua park because my toddler will want to go on the slides stuff because he doesn't realize that he is too small ;) Also, is there a splash pad at Labadee?

Bill, this is a first for me.

I always take your scoop and information and file it...........

Along with following your threads that you post with you and your wife.............

Finally I have something to offer:eek:.

Sea Ya

Enjoy

Feels good when you can help someone on here doesn't it? I know it does for me. :)

BTW, for anyone that needs it I found a great map to Labadee right here on Cruise Critic.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=532

Edited by PCWalton1