Open Seating for group of 10

MaggieHans

My extended family, a group of 10, is cruising from Alaska in July '14 on the Statendam. We have open seating and I was hoping to find out other peoples experience with open seating for a group. I know I should be able to make reservations in the morning for an early or late seating time (before 6:30 or after 7:30?), but I'm wondering how long it would take to be seated if we don't have reservations. Do they have tables for 10 or will we end up sitting in two groups?

Any tips would be great!

We were on the Statendam for the recent Inca Empires cruise and several times had a group of 10 and they were able to accommodate us in the MDR. We went after the early show - 7:15 or so - and had no more than a few minutes wait. My recollection is that there were at least 2 tables for 10 - could have been 4.

Edited by mike7649

Go to http://www.wa70.com/hal/dining/llS.jpg to count the number of tables for 10. (Click to zoom in) I think there's six: 134, 135, 140, 141, 308, and 309. Pretty sure 307 is for 8. That says Maasdam, but the Statendam should be the same.

If you don't make a reservation, either show up before 5:30 or around 7:15 to 7:30 when the first wave is finishing.

Edited by jtl513

Go to http://www.wa70.com/hal/dining/llS.jpg to count the number of tables for 10. (Click to zoom in) I think there's seven: 134, 135, 140, 141, 307, 308, 309.

I think unless you make a reservation for the full table, I'd guess that your chances of sitting together are pretty slim no matter how long you wait.

John -- I got updated dining room maps and they are now on the HALFACTS.com pages for the different classes. The map for the Statendam is at http://halfacts.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/SADM.pdf

Rich

John -- I got updated dining room maps and they are now on the HALFACTS.com pages for the different classes. The map for the Statendam is at http://halfacts.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/SADM.pdf

Rich

Okay, on that diagram it looks like mike7649 is right: just two tables for 10 - 305 and 309.

I would say you may need to be very patient with ten.
Thr first wave of diners should be clearing out around 7:30, so there could be little to no wait around then. Edited by jtl513

Thank you all for your input! Please excuse the possibly silly questions, as I'm new to cruising.... In a restaurant, they will often put tables together for a larger group. Will they do that on the ship also? Or is the only choice to wait for one of the two big tables? For a mid summer Alaska cruise, do you think there will be many larger groups like ours? (All competing for the same table:))

Early dining seems so early; 8:00 seems late; and we have 4 teenagers who may or may not be joining us for dinner each night. With port days keeping us busy and all of us new to cruising, we thought open seating would be best. Worst case is we have to eat at 5:30 or 8:00 when we want to eat together, but then it's no different than having a set dinner time.

In a restaurant, they will often put tables together for a larger group. Will they do that on the ship also?
I've never seen tables being rearranged, except to pick up the two center settings from a table for 6 to make two 2's. There's really no room to do that.

There could be other large groups, or they could just fill the 10-tops with groups of 2 to 5 if they aren't reserved.

I'd encourage at least two teens to eat elsewhere! :D

BTW - welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

Edited by jtl513

I've never seen tables being rearranged, except to pick up the two center settings from a table for 6 to make two 2's. There's really no room to do that.

There could be other large groups, or they could just fill the 10-tops with groups of 2 to 5 if they aren't reserved.

I'd encourage at least two teens to eat elsewhere! :D

BTW - welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

I was thinking myself that my husband and I could leave the kids with the grandparents and sister's family at an 8 top. and we could have a "date" night. Maybe a table for 8 would work great! :)

We had a group of nine on an Alaskan Cruise on the Zaandam two years ago. We had Open Dining. As a group we would try to make a decision on an evening meal time in the morning, and make a reservation. It was great way to check in with each other. We usually ate late, about 8:00 PM. We never had a problem getting a large round table for our group. They will try an accommodate a large group. We linked our room numbers on the first day, and had a great time.

Enjoy

We had 12 for open dining on our Alaska cruise last August. As we were in a Neptune suite (although no one else in our group was) we asked the concierge to arrange table(s) for us for the entire seven days at a specific time. We had two fabulous tables of 6, window side for all seven days. We would change up who we sat with whom and it worked so well. I have heard that normally you can book three days in advance but it never hurts to ask!

I wondered about that, because I've seen video clips of tables toppling and flying around in extreme seas. But they weren't HAL ships.

Back in '03, when the 80' wave hit the Rotterdam, everything in the dining room toppled over, including people in their chairs!---except the tables.

What a mess.

I was thinking myself that my husband and I could leave the kids with the grandparents and sister's family at an 8 top. and we could have a "date" night. Maybe a table for 8 would work great! :)

You could always make that "date" a reservation in the Pinnacle Grill for the two of you. Book a lovely table for 2..... Romantic walk around the lower promenade deck later. Gee, it could even take all evening. ;-)

Edited by TiogaCruiser

JMO -- but it is very hard to talk to everyone at a large table for 10. You would be practically yelling to someone across from you.

You might want to consider a table for the 6 adults and a table for the 4 teenagers.

Great idea. It is next to impossible to carry on a conversation at table of ten.