I want the best cruise to the Pacific Islands and Fiji

Sailaway John

Hi all out there who have been to the Pacific Islands and Fiji . . . can you advise me, please.

Both wife and I are looking at a cruise to the Pacific Islands and Fiji.

We have done this cruise before . . . but this time we want this cruise to be the best that money can buy.

We want the cruise to be at least 14+ days, on a great Princess Ship, so that we can enjoy our 55 years of married life.

One of the conditions would be NO KIDS ON THE CRUISE . . . with reason, of course.

See what you can do, folks, please.

To start with, any cruise that's 14 days or longer to the South Pacific is unlikely to have many kids, if any. Particularly if you sail from LA, Honolulu or Tahiti. I did a search and there are a number of options on the Ocean, Pacific, Crown and Golden Princess.

Edited by Pam in CA

As you particularly mentioned Princess, I have looked at what there is to offer and the best cruise that I could see that wasn't in our school holidays is on the 6th September, 2015 leaving from Sydney on the Dawn Princess.

Here is the itinerary:

Ports: Sydney, Australia | Noumea, New Caledonia | Port Denarau, Fiji | Suva, Fiji | Dravuni Island, Fiji | Isle of Pines, New Caledonia | Sydney, Australia

It is not 14 days (it is only 12) as you asked but the Dawn does go to the places you mentioned. Seeing you have been married for 55+ years which is fantastic, I would either book a mini suite or a suite on this ship and enjoy the good life.

The other cruises that go to Fiji, Noumea and New Caledonia all fall into either our September school holidays or at Christmas so you would find loads of children on board which you didn't really want.

We haven't cruised on the Dawn, Sun or Sea Princesses so I have no idea what they have to offer. We prefer the smaller Ocean and Pacific Princesses and love their unusual itineraries. We have also found that the people who cruise on the little ships have travelled extensively and are most interesting.

Hope this helps a little.

Jennie

Edited by Aussie Gal

I have a colleague who likes Princess, prefers Celebrity and he and his wife just came back from Tahiti on the Paul Gauguin-he has travelled extensively and absolutely loved this cruise. I am not sure Princess is the best money can buy for this part of the world and I am usually a Princess fan.

You might consider a 7 day on the Paul Gauguin and spend a few days in Tahiti pre or post cruise.

My friend hopes to get some of us to rent a house or villa in 2015 together in Tahiti-he says its absolute paradise there.

I have a colleague who likes Princess, prefers Celebrity and he and his wife just came back from Tahiti on the Paul Gauguin-he has travelled extensively and absolutely loved this cruise. I am not sure Princess is the best money can buy for this part of the world and I am usually a Princess fan.

You might consider a 7 day on the Paul Gauguin and spend a few days in Tahiti pre or post cruise.

My friend hopes to get some of us to rent a house or villa in 2015 together in Tahiti-he says its absolute paradise there.

Tahitti IS a lovely island but has become very commercial. Moorea is less commercial and even prettier.

Considered a luxury ship. Oceania is a Premium ship and the priced are lower than Gauguin.

Does Oceania go to Fiji? I don't see where the OP said he wanted Premium and not Luxury? And really when you look at Paul Gauguin being all inclusive and including day rooms in Tahiti there's probably not much difference.

The OP first of all mentioned .....Hi all out there who have been to the Pacific Islands and Fiji . . . can you advise me, please. Both wife and I are looking at a cruise to the Pacific Islands and Fiji.... and secondly he mentioned Princess.

Nowhere did he mention Tahiti or Honolulu hence my post as he wants to visit the islands to the north of our continent.

Other than Princess, only P&O Australia mainly visit those islands so that is why I suggested the Dawn Princess.

Jennie

The OP first of all mentioned .....Hi all out there who have been to the Pacific Islands and Fiji . . . can you advise me, please. Both wife and I are looking at a cruise to the Pacific Islands and Fiji.... and secondly he mentioned Princess.

Nowhere did he mention Tahiti or Honolulu hence my post as he wants to visit the islands to the north of our continent.

Other than Princess, only P&O Australia mainly visit those islands so that is why I suggested the Dawn Princess.

Jennie

Is this not the pacific islands?

Fiji to Australia | 11-night cruise >

Cairns, Australia Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands Kieta, Bougainville, Papua New Guinea Lautoka, Viti Levu, Fiji Port Vila, Vanuatu Samarai Island, Papua New Guinea

11-night cruise from only $5,995

Request a Quote

Australia to Fiji | 12-night cruise >

Cairns, Australia Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands Kieta, Bougainville, Papua New Guinea Lautoka, Viti Levu, Fiji Malolo Island, Fiji Port Vila, Vanuatu Samarai Island, Papua New Guinea

12-night cruise from only $6,395

Request a Quote

Yes, those cruises are terrific. In fact we would love to visit New Guinea one day but the OP didn't want a ship full of children and that cruise happens to fall into our June/July school break.

Jennie

But I doubt you'd get that many kids on PG

The best that money could buy? Check Paul Gauguin for their itineraries that include Fiji.

That's what I was going to say. If money is no object and you want the best, don't fish for ideas that lead to a mass market line. I love Princess, but I am not rich. It's a well done mid range product. If you want superior luxury and exclusivity, you aren't going to be happy on Princess.

Children are not common on these cruises, at least those originating in the Islands or North America. But if having ANY children onboard is a deal breaker for you, know they are not banned on any Princess itinerary that I am aware of. There's absolutely nothing wrong imo with not wanting children doing what children do on your ship. But choose wisely before you book. There are adults only cruises out there, just not on Princess. I know people assume there won't be kids on the longer south seas cruises, but it happens. I once took my kids on one of those. There were actually people coming up to me to tell me I ruined their cruise by bringing kids (even though mine were healthy, well behaved and constantly supervised). If it's not an adults only cruise, don't expect it. I didn't ruin their cruise, they did with their poor planning. Don't let that be you! This was many years ago and Princess markets to families now!

Dawn and Sun Princess (I have sailed both multiple times) are older ships and not amongst the fanciest of the Princess fleet. Fine for a family cruise or some adventure, but for a fancy 55th anniversary, not your best choice probably.

Congratulations on being married all those years! I hope-- whatever you end up doing --that it is fabulous :D

Before you book anything in the Pacific,, as others have stated, check regarding Australian school holidays. Typically, different states have different school holiday times. I just changed a cruise from Hawaii to Sydney because it was school holiday time. And if you want to have 'the best cruise available', don't go with P & O Australia (and especially in school holiday time).

To actually answer the OP's query....

The Sun Princess has a few upcoming 14-day sailings (RT) from Sydney with ports of call:

Noumea - New Caledonia

Dravuni Island - Fiji

Savusavu - Fiji

Suva - Fiji

Port Denaru - Fiji

Vila - Vanuatu

Lifou - New Caledonia

ISR140lg.jpg

That is a good itinerary but it is very close to when our school holidays commence especially when our Year 12's finish school and there could be quite a few "schoolies" on board on the 25th November cruise whereas the 16th December is a Christmas cruise which would entail loads of families.

Jennie

What about this one - Hawaii,Tahiti and South Pacific on Sea Princess - 35 days round trip from Sydney departing 17th April, 2015.

As you are close to Sydney extra departure cost should not be great.

Wife and I were on Sea Princess over Christmas - it was fine and we would cruise on it again without hesitation. Actually we have been looking at this cruise to Hawaii.

Just as a matter of interest we were told that there were 400 kids on board for the Christmas Cruise (out of Brisbane). We certainly were not aware of there being that many - everything was fine.:)

What about this one - Hawaii,Tahiti and South Pacific on Sea Princess - 35 days round trip from Sydney departing 17th April, 2015.

As you are close to Sydney extra departure cost should not be great.

Wife and I were on Sea Princess over Christmas - it was fine and we would cruise on it again without hesitation. Actually we have been looking at this cruise to Hawaii.

Just as a matter of interest we were told that there were 400 kids on board for the Christmas Cruise (out of Brisbane). We certainly were not aware of there being that many - everything was fine.:)

We were on sea princess this Christmas too & you are right. I think 450 kids. My apologies, I think I posted 250 earlier on. I agree, barely knew they had any on board! Loved our sea princess cruise! Would love to do that Hawaiian cruise ;) just holidays are the issue for us!

That is a good itinerary but it is very close to when our school holidays commence especially when our Year 12's finish school and there could be quite a few "schoolies" on board on the 25th November cruise whereas the 16th December is a Christmas cruise which would entail loads of families.

Jennie

I'm not not sure how these dates would coincide w/ AU school holidays, but the dates available for this itinerary are:

Feb. 21st, 2014 (Sun Princess)

Sep. 20th, 2014 (Dawn Princess)

Nov. 25th, 2014 (Sun Princess)

Jan 24th, 2015 (Sun Princess)

Feb 20th, 2015 (Sun Princess)

I've previously read that it's common for 10+ day South Pacific sailings to not be too loaded with youngsters.

On our sailing a few years back, I honestly can't remember if I noticed more than a couple of kids on board during our cruise, but that was also a (RT) from Tahiti instead of departing from a major metro area like Sydney.