Trying different dishes or wrong choices in the MDR

L33_RYM

Hi,

First timer question. A couple of scenarios: I (or more likely my kids) order a dish to try but really don't like it, Can I select another?

Or I order steak but really want to try Escargot for the first time to see if I like it, is that possible?

My daughter ( who has a healthy appetite) can't choose between 2 desserts. Can she have both?

I am not saying this will happen so I was just wondering if there are any boundaries/limitations.

Also, Are kids served smaller portions?

You can absolutely order more than one dish at a time, or let your waiter know that you're trying something new and might want to replace it in a few minutes. My husband and I both are terrible at picking one thing out of a list of awesome-sounding things, and we sometimes end up with three or four dishes per course between the two of us. For the most part, the waiters won't even blink an eye - they want you to enjoy your dinner, and they don't want you to feel judged or obligated to eat something you don't like!

Edited by CruiseeCrazee
typo fix

You can absolutely order more than one dish at a time, or let your waiter know that you're trying something new and might want to replace it in a few minutes. My husband and I both are terrible at picking one thing out of a list of awesome-sounding things, and we sometimes end up with three or four dishes per course between the two of us. For the most part, the waiters won't even blink an eye - they want you to enjoy your dinner, and they don't want you to feel judged or obligated to eat something you don't like!

Mmmmmmm ......... Thanks. That was the answer I was hoping for :)

Never be afraid to try anything you like. I tend to order a few things each night..2-3 appetizers, 2 main courses and a few deserts if I am still feeling the need. I do have to say when we eat at a table with first time cruisers they look at me weird the first few nights before they catch on.:rolleyes: Most of the time by the 3 night of a 7 night cruise the waiters know that I order a few shrimp apps and just bring me a plate with 10-15 shrimp on it. Have fun and enjoy every part of your vacation.:D

It's 2am in the morning here & I need to be up for work at 6am. Having just read through the sample MDR menus I am lay here salivating with my tummy rumbling :)

Edited by L33_RYM

There was a young man at our table on the last cruise that claimed he could never get enough shrimp cocktail. One night the assistant waiter got the biggest kick out of continuing to bring them until he decided he'd had enough (he couldn't quite finish the 5th one).

there was a young man at our table on the last cruise that claimed he could never get enough shrimp cocktail. One night the assistant waiter got the biggest kick out of continuing to bring them until he decided he'd had enough (he couldn't quite finish the 5th one).

Never be afraid to try anything you like. I tend to order a few things each night..2-3 appetizers, 2 main courses and a few deserts if I am still feeling the need. I do have to say when we eat at a table with first time cruisers they look at me weird the first few nights before they catch on.:rolleyes: Most of the time by the 3 night of a 7 night cruise the waiters know that I order a few shrimp apps and just bring me a plate with 10-15 shrimp on it. Have fun and enjoy every part of your vacation.:D

How does that work if you are sitting at a larger table? Does everyone else have to wait for their next course while you work thru all the extra dishes?

Hi,

First timer question. A couple of scenarios: I (or more likely my kids) order a dish to try but really don't like it, Can I select another?

Or I order steak but really want to try Escargot for the first time to see if I like it, is that possible?

My daughter ( who has a healthy appetite) can't choose between 2 desserts. Can she have both?

I am not saying this will happen so I was just wondering if there are any boundaries/limitations.

From my experience,

You can order anything from the menu for your meal and its ok, also you can order more than one desert.

More than that - my DD is a very picky eater, and during our previous cruises we just told our waiter what she wants for dinner (usually pizza) and except maybe for the first night during which it took time to get the order from another dining room, she got her pizza every night .

Hopefully, this year she'll be less picky...

How does that work if you are sitting at a larger table? Does everyone else have to wait for their next course while you work thru all the extra dishes?

You wait!

I have seen pax order two entrees in addition to two appetizers or two desserts. I also have seen pax order a different entree when the one they received was not what they liked. Usually the waiter will check back after delivering a dish to see if you liked it. If not they will get you something else. I have had that happen to me where what I received was not that great and the waiter served me something else.

Hi,

ordering multiple anything is encouraged if not pushed. ( especially dessert)

that being said if your entree comes out and you don't like it of course you can send it back or get a new one but you will be waiting as the kitchen will have already begun transitioning to the next course prep.

Snails are it and miss.. lots of people have reported that they are NOT available on board as often, at all or even every night even if they are on the menu. It's usually an appetizer. and if it is your first taste, you probably will go 'ewwwww' and never try them again as they are not really the best representation of the dish.

if the kids order off the kids meals they are smaller( and many say not all that appetizing or the usual crap stuff they get at home) . If they order off the adult menu they get full size portions.

For sure ive asked for two apps before and two deserts... oddly with all my meals i always asked for a chicken breast on the side of each of my meals and every night I got one on the side without even asking :D

A couple of year ago, my DD, then 23, decided she was going to try everything she'd never had before (snails, oysters, cold soups, etc). She loved everything and now actually tries to cook them.

Keep in mind that if you don't see anything you like, you can always order off the children's menu.

It's 2am in the morning here & I need to be up for work at 6am. Having just read through the sample MDR menus I am lay here salivating with my tummy rumbling :)

Excuse my ignorance, but where did you see the sample MDR menus?

No they do not have to wait at all. Everything goes the same speed as normal. They may put 2 plates down at one time or it will just be waiting at the service station until I am ready for the next plate.

ordering multiple anything is encouraged if not pushed. ( especially dessert)

that being said if your entree comes out and you don't like it of course you can send it back or get a new one but you will be waiting as the kitchen will have already begun transitioning to the next course prep.

Snails are it and miss.. lots of people have reported that they are NOT available on board as often, at all or even every night even if they are on the menu. It's usually an appetizer. and if it is your first taste, you probably will go 'ewwwww' and never try them again as they are not really the best representation of the dish.

if the kids order off the kids meals they are smaller( and many say not all that appetizing or the usual crap stuff they get at home) . If they order off the adult menu they get full size portions.

Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated.

No they do not have to wait at all. Everything goes the same speed as normal. They may put 2 plates down at one time or it will just be waiting at the service station until I am ready for the next plate.

My experience is, if I order three appetizers, all three come out at the same time.

Same thing if I order two entrées.

Love the MDR and ordering multiple things.