Celebrity Century - worth it to eat at Murano?

arielsong88

DH and I are headed to Alaska in May for the first time, and I have been browsing the menu for Murano. I've only been on one other cruise (Celebrity Summit, S. Caribbean), and I didn't make an effort to eat in any of the specialty restaurants on that ship. But it looks like you could buy the 3 dinner package for $99pp and eat in Murano 3 times (vs $45pp for one dinner), since it is the only specialty restaurant on the Century. TBH, I'm really spoiled by living in a great foodie city, so I'm skeptical about paying extra for specialty restaurants on board unless someone can convince me that it's a must-do. Thoughts?

I appreciate anyone's input!

Edited by arielsong88

We sailed to Alaska on the Century last May and loved Murano so much that we ate 3 dinners there! On Hubbard Glacier day they opened for lunch and we enjoyed a fantastic meal along with some spectacular scenery (they opened after we'd viewed the glacier). I forget the regular cost for Murano but I think the lunch was $20 or $25 each. It's definitely worth visiting at least once!

on our cruise the package (99$) was not for murano only...

And I would expect that for the other ships in Celebrity's fleet... but on the Century, Murano is the only specialty restaurant. So on the Century, the $99 package must only be for Murano?

Unfortunately we did not have a good experience at Murano on the Century. Service was horrible, appetizer inedible, entree delivered cold and food mediocre. At the end of the meal they offered to waive 1/2 the charge & we accepted- still overpaid for what we got.

Another couple at our table in the MDR went 3 night later; they said food fair, service poor. Maybe it was just the staff in Murano on that ship at that time because food and service in the MDR was great.

Unfortunately we did not have a good experience at Murano on the Century. Service was horrible, appetizer inedible, entree delivered cold and food mediocre. At the end of the meal they offered to waive 1/2 the charge & we accepted- still overpaid for what we got.

Another couple at our table in the MDR went 3 night later; they said food fair, service poor. Maybe it was just the staff in Murano on that ship at that time because food and service in the MDR was great.

Can you tell me how long ago this happened?

We had a similar experience on Century, a couple of years ago. We also had great food and service in the MDR, but booked Murano for a special occasion.

We both ordered a surf-n-turf type dish -- big mistake. Both steaks came out severely over-cooked, and we had to send them back. They clearly stuck the tiny (crawdad-sized) lobster tails under a heat lamp, while they were re-firing the steaks. By the time they re-plated the steaks, the lobster was tough and dried out -- so, we had to send them back. :rolleyes: However, I have to admit that the Grand Marnier souffle was one of the best desserts I've ever tasted!

We do plan to try Murano again, on our upcoming Century cruise. Hopefully, it will be a better experience, this time. :cool:

We just ate there 3 times in Nov. & "as usual" it was terrific! This was the 3rd year in a row we enjoyed the Murano. We had complaints about the MDR but not the Murano. Carlos was the asst. maître de & watched out that everyone was well taken care of & made us feel at home. The menu has changed & I was disappointed in some of the new selections. I especially enjoyed one from the old menu, the Dover sole prepared at your table, which was delicious. Also, don't pass up the Goat Cheese Souffle! YUM!

We just ate there 3 times in Nov. & "as usual" it was terrific! This was the 3rd year in a row we enjoyed the Murano. We had complaints about the MDR but not the Murano. Carlos was the asst. maître de & watched out that everyone was well taken care of & made us feel at home. The menu has changed & I was disappointed in some of the new selections. I especially enjoyed one from the old menu, the Dover sole prepared at your table, which was delicious. Also, don't pass up the Goat Cheese Souffle! YUM!

Mmmm... goat cheese souffle sounds delicious! Was this on the Century? I didn't realize before I posted that there are several instances of Murano on other ships! :p

Century's Murano was so little used during our Nov. Hawaii trip that the wait staff was soliciting reduced prices during the Cafeteria mealtimes. We believe that the $45 price tag is way too high. We were able to bargain to a $30 pp price which was more in line for value. Is it worth $45? IMHO, not. Food is adequate and ambiance is nice but for that price one might enjoy any fine restaurant is one's own city. Main dining room was excellent both in service and food. If you must do for a special occasion then bargain for a reduction. Again IMHO!

Just got off the holiday cruise on the Century. We only ate in Murano once, but it was wonderful. Excellent service and the food was great.

We would check out the menu in the MDR and if it didn't look appealing, we would head down and book a reservation in Murano. Problem was, the MDR was excellent every evening.

As a side note -- we were invited to dine at the Captain's Table one formal evening, which we've experienced many times through out the years of cruising Celebrity. This time, however, there was a special menu for the evening, and our meals were prepared in Murano. Very nice touch!

Enjoy!

Kel:)

But at $45pp there is nothing good enough to justify the price, for us. However, now that the Zenith 25% discount has kicked in are we are rethinking. The fish is great and I love the cheese course. ~ Rick

Good point Rick!

We were able to dine in Murano for $38, as we are Elite Plus now. (15%)

My wife loves the soufflés and the cheese cart. Soups are pretty special and they are now offering the chateaubriand again. Last year they only had that awful tri-medallions beef Wellington (only beef dish).

Enjoy!

Just got off the holiday cruise on the Century. We only ate in Murano once, but it was wonderful. Excellent service and the food was great.

We would check out the menu in the MDR and if it didn't look appealing, we would head down and book a reservation in Murano. Problem was, the MDR was excellent every evening.

As a side note -- we were invited to dine at the Captain's Table one formal evening, which we've experienced many times through out the years of cruising Celebrity. This time, however, there was a special menu for the evening, and our meals were prepared in Murano. Very nice touch!

Enjoy!

Thanks for the good report, Kel. Sounds like Century's Murano has improved, in the last couple of years. We're looking forward to trying it again, on our upcoming cruise. :cool:

Its been 2 years since on Century for a month.But am on Feb. StB run. If you are areal foodie, I would skip Muranos on both Century and Connie.I found both more of same as ships MDR. S classes a different story.

I'm very active in the Portland food scene. It's my primary hobby, and much of my land-based travel is organized around where we are going to eat. Thus I tend to have to dial down my expectations when we travel, unless we're going to another major food-focused city. (And I usually stop drinking coffee altogether, since I drink it for the taste and not the caffeine. Coffee in Portland is seriously amazing.) Hence my question about whether Murano on the Century is worth it. $45pp can get me an excellent meal at home (as someone else mentioned), but I would happily sign up for the package deal (more reasonable at $99pp/3 meals) if people felt strongly about it.

Thanks everybody! Keep those opinions coming! :)

Edited by arielsong88

Yes. We were on Century two summers ago, and had our anniversary Dinner in Murano. It was superb. I ordered the Escargot tortellini as an appetizer and it seriously may have been the best thing I have ever eaten. My wife had a similar experience with a cheese appetizer which I cannot recaoll, perhaps Goat Cheese souffle ??

Do it. It's worth it. :)