Port Everglades Better This Season?

Benjo8

Since the Caribbean cruise season is now in full swing I was surprised not to see any new threads about disembarkation delays at the Fort Lauderdale piers. We sail Silhouette in three weeks. Are things better or has everyone just given up on complaining? We survived it last February and plan to do so this year as well. Thanks to all.

I came back on the Equinox TA in December and I thought the lines were incredibly long. Luckily I gave myself more than the 3 hours recommended from disembarkation to airport. They have everyone using the same long line (US citizen or not). Give yourself plenty of time to get off the ship.

Just got off the Equinox this morning at 8:00AM. We were group 2 and luggage was waiting and took about 5 minutes to find a porter to take us to a cab. Was at the airport by 9:00AM without any problems. It was a breeze. I did not experience any of the horror stories I had read about. A porter is really the secret to getting out of the pier without problems. $20 goes a long way.

Richard

Richard is dead on! Got off Equinox this morning at the same time as Richard. We were a group of seven; grabbed a porter, got through customs in about ten minutes and were in a taxi to our pre-cruise hotel by 8:20. In our car and on the road by 8:30. Easy, easy disembark. Not quite as nice as Miami where there are airport-like carousels delivering luggage, but nice just the same.

I got off the silhouette Sunday and were in group 47 . It took over 30 minutes to get through immigration. Then sat on bus for another 45 minutes and did't get to airport until close to11:00. The lines at security at the airport were long so didn't settle in at airport until close to noon. We had a 3:15 flight so no problem. I know they try to get people off by flights. We once had an 11:00 flight and we were at the airport by 9:00.

I got off the silhouette Sunday and were in group 47 . It took over 30 minutes to get through immigration. Then sat on bus for another 45 minutes and did't get to airport until close to11:00. The lines at security at the airport were long so didn't settle in at airport until close to noon. We had a 3:15 flight so no problem. I know they try to get people off by flights. We once had an 11:00 flight and we were at the airport by 9:00.

Forgot to mention we cruise Silhouette on a Sunday. Thanks for confirming that vintage French maxim (as translated): the more things change, the more they remain the same.

Just got off the Equinox this morning at 8:00AM. We were group 2 and luggage was waiting and took about 5 minutes to find a porter to take us to a cab. Was at the airport by 9:00AM without any problems. It was a breeze. I did not experience any of the horror stories I had read about. A porter is really the secret to getting out of the pier without problems. $20 goes a long way.

Richard

Please explain exactly what the porter does for you and how that helps deal with reentry formalities.

Thank you.

We did express walkoff and were off Silhouette by 7:45 on this past Sunday. However, the taxi line wrapped around the building and none were waiting! We would have missed our 10:45 flight home if we hadn't found a shuttle service. As it was, with the massive lines at the airport all the way from check in through security, we were at the gate less than ten minutes before boarding was called.

Immigration was a breeze though- it was taxis and the airport that were the problem.

Richard is dead on! Got off Equinox this morning at the same time as Richard. We were a group of seven; grabbed a porter, got through customs in about ten minutes and were in a taxi to our pre-cruise hotel by 8:20. In our car and on the road by 8:30. Easy, easy disembark. Not quite as nice as Miami where there are airport-like carousels delivering luggage, but nice just the same.

Both of you of course benefitted from being at terminal #18......It's been custom-rebuilt by RCL to handle the Behemoths of the Seas....at least twice Queeny's size. The other fortunate aspect: the gangways seem to fit ''S'' class....while it appears they do not adjust to RCCL's Freedom class ( which is why Liberty of the Seas, week days, still docks at #25....

( why else ? ) and #18 remains unused.

Still , the OP is generally right as Everglades ops this season appear smoother than previous winters. Even Silly's turn arounds at #25 appear smoother this year, in spite of #25's short comings....long the subject of negative threads last winter...

Looking good so far

We also did express walk off on the Silhouette this Sunday. Off the ship a little after 8am, went right through immigration, no problem, taxi line was long but moving and we were at Airport before 9. Worst thing was the ridiculously long lines at security. It took over an hour!

After reading the horror stories here I was worried and made sure to get off early but it was fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if they have TSA PreCheck lines at FLL? That would solve the airport problem if you participate in that.

Linda

Yes, they had a separate line for TSA Precheck, unfortunately we didn't have it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk