Cagliari?

CathyCruises

I enjoyed visiting the archaeological site of Nora:

http://www.historvius.com/nora-archaeological-site-1049/

Very prettily situated near the water's edge (but very ruined) with some nice mosaics in situ, a baths complex, theatre, roads, etc.

This was a Punic site originally (like Carthage), later taken over by Rome.

Cagliari can also be toured on foot from the port, it's just a few minutes' walk to the town. There is a TI in the port with maps.

Edited by cruisemom42

Won't be the highlight of your cruise, but a pleasant place to visit.:)

You'll see the old town, cathedral, & just one remaining tower of the castle looking down on the town centre/port.

Means a bit of a climb to get to it (depending whether elevators are working) by using steps (about three storeys-worth) at Piazza Constituzione, well worth it to rummage around.

If any of your party has significant problems with walking uphill or with the steps they can take a cab up. It's pretty level once you're up there.

Selection of bars & restaurants in the lower part of town along Largo Carlo Felice, just a five minute walk from the port gate. Mebbe head there when you've had your fill of exploring.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1926808&highlight=cagliari

JB :)

Good--thanks guys! I wonder what's driving the cruise line there out of the available Sicilian ports. My guess is low port charges!

The TAs this year are significantly more expensive than they were last year, where we started out with three Caribbean ports, and I bet part of that is higher port charges in the Med. Of course I have no idea what I'm talking about, just supposing.

But this is great info to pass along--thanks again.

Good--thanks guys! I wonder what's driving the cruise line there out of the available Sicilian ports. My guess is low port charges!

The TAs this year are significantly more expensive than they were last year, where we started out with three Caribbean ports, and I bet part of that is higher port charges in the Med. Of course I have no idea what I'm talking about, just supposing.

But this is great info to pass along--thanks again.

I just realized my sister is on that sailing. I should've connected the dots; she was asking me about Cagliari a few weeks ago. Not THAT many ships stop there, especially not Celebrity ships.

Edited by cruisemom42

On our upcoming cruise, we had planned to just take a quick walk around the port in Caligiari, but the company I booked my other Italian port tours offered up a tour here and I can't wait!

Please keep in mind that I have not taken this tour yet, as my cruise is still 280+ days away, but I think (perhaps because it is a new port) the cruise ships do not do a good job fo detailing what sites are available, so I am offering up what we plan to do.

Our tour of Medieval Cagliari is a journey inside the walls of the “Castello” district, built starting in 1217 AD. It was the fulcrum of the civil, political, and religious capital of Sardinia from its birth until the beginning of the twentieth century.

Walking through the narrow alleys of the different neighborhoods, visitors can learn and discover the centuries of history and architecture which have occurred because of the overlapping influences suffered by the city center because of its strategic position at the center of the Mediterranean.

This itinerary includes a visit to the Medieval defense towers, Torre di San Pancrazio and the Elephant Tower; the Royal Palace, with sumptuously decorated rooms; the Cathedral of Santa Maria, a splendid example of Baroque decorations; and the Bastion Saint-Remy. Along the way, we will stop to admire the city from its different vantage points.

Inside the castle, you can also visit the National Archaeological Museum, which preserves the most important archaeological finds of Islanders, particularly those relevant to the Civilization of Nuragica.

We also suggest including on the same day the Cagliari Underground tour, as it is an unusual and fascinating route, and it is not particularly difficult.

Sites we visit include: the Crypt of Santa Restituta; the Prison of Ephisius; ancient crypts and early underground Christian places of worship; the Gallery of Via Don Bosco which was used as a bomb shelter during the bombing of World War II; and the archaeological site of St. Eulalia.

Following visiting these sites, we will accompany you to workshops located in the historic center of the Marina and Villanova Districts, on a tasting experience of the ancient flavors of the Island and their traditional dishes, cakes and wines!

As I said, we haven't been, so I can't comment specificly on how enjoyable the sites are. However, the tour sounds fascinating enough to me that I think I'll be crushed if we have problems with storms and don't land here.

I just realized my sister is on that sailing. I should've connected the dots; she was asking me about Cagliari a few weeks ago. Not THAT many ships stop there, especially not Celebrity ships.

Oh, it would be so fun to meet her! As mentioned there is a group of us who have stayed in touch since last year's sailing, and we're just waiting for prices to come down somewhat closer to last year's (instead of more than double currently) so we can all sign up. We're a lot of fun, both individually and collectively! I'll let you know if we end up going.

We ended up in Cagliari when Tunis was cancelled due to the unrests. We absolutely loved it. Easy to just walk around in the old city, although you will encounter some stairs. Anything within the walls is great. Have fun!

Oh, it would be so fun to meet her! As mentioned there is a group of us who have stayed in touch since last year's sailing, and we're just waiting for prices to come down somewhat closer to last year's (instead of more than double currently) so we can all sign up. We're a lot of fun, both individually and collectively! I'll let you know if we end up going.

If you book the cruise, join our roll call! :)

You can click on my web site link for the April cruise. I have a little bit of information from the tourist office in Cagliari. There's a 4-day festival during the time we are docked (May 2nd).

Monica

We will definitely join the roll call if we book! We have a bunch of people who had so much fun on last year's cruise that we are all hoping to get together again--just waiting to see what prices do after final payment, so we'll know soon!

The festival sounds like SO much fun!

We got diverted one year from Ireland to A Coruna, Spain, and took the train to Santiago de Compostela where we ran into a May Day parade and all joined in for a few blocks! Great memory. . .

We will definitely join the roll call if we book! We have a bunch of people who had so much fun on last year's cruise that we are all hoping to get together again--just waiting to see what prices do after final payment, so we'll know soon!

The festival sounds like SO much fun!

We got diverted one year from Ireland to A Coruna, Spain, and took the train to Santiago de Compostela where we ran into a May Day parade and all joined in for a few blocks! Great memory. . .

Cruise with Cathy no way ! :p

We were in Cagliari in November on the Navigator of the Seas. It was one of our favorite ports. We took a shore excursion walking tour of the city. It's a beautiful place, so charming. It is hilly though, so take good walking shoes with you. If you like jewelry, Sardinia is known for its traditional filigree and there many shops in town selling it at all price points. It's a wonderful souvenir to bring back.

We were in Cagliari in November on the Navigator of the Seas. It was one of our favorite ports. We took a shore excursion walking tour of the city. It's a beautiful place, so charming. It is hilly though, so take good walking shoes with you. If you like jewelry, Sardinia is known for its traditional filigree and there many shops in town selling it at all price points. It's a wonderful souvenir to bring back.

Great hint, thanks. At the moment I am wearing onyx and filigree earrings I got in Spain a few cruises ago! So I'll have to add to my collection if we make it to Cagliari.

• 1 month later...

CruiseMom, is your sister on the roll call? We did end up booking and are really looking forward to the trip.

• 10 months later...
On our upcoming cruise, we had planned to just take a quick walk around the port in Caligiari, but the company I booked my other Italian port tours offered up a tour here and I can't wait!

Please keep in mind that I have not taken this tour yet, as my cruise is still 280+ days away, but I think (perhaps because it is a new port) the cruise ships do not do a good job fo detailing what sites are available, so I am offering up what we plan to do.

As I said, we haven't been, so I can't comment specificly on how enjoyable the sites are. However, the tour sounds fascinating enough to me that I think I'll be crushed if we have problems with storms and don't land here.

can you please share the name of the tour company.. we are stopping in cagliari and having difficult time finding private tour guides bweiner153@gmail.com thanks