Safety in St. Lucia

cruiseapril

In light of the recent crime on a yacht in St. Lucia, (see ABC news) I felt the need to post an observation we made back in 2011 when were were there.

Our ship's excursion was ok- but just ok- because we experienced very unpleasant vendors and others in Anse La Ray. There was a tone of aggression toward tourists which we had not experienced on any other Caribbean island except Jamaica.

This is a beautiful island with so many good and interesting places- but the crime is a real concern for tourists and people should be aware.

Yes, there is much crime in the U.S. and other countries and we need to be careful when traveling- but from my perspective, St. Lucia is changing

and we need to consider this when on the island.

• 2 weeks later...
I have read so many bad reviews that I think we will not be getting off the ship. I had one poster reply "hateful" imo to that but I just don't want that risk. I am responsible for all the women in our group.

Of course, the decision is entirely yours, and you need to do what makes you comfortable. Just curious, where have you read all of those bad reviews?

I travel pretty frequently, and work part time in the industry. Horrible things happen everywhere, even at the other ports of call. Have a look at crime statistics in some if the major US cities.

Such a shame to miss such a beautiful island. Just my opinion of course.

On another post:

Of course, the decision is entirely yours, and you need to do what makes you comfortable. Just curious, where have you read all of those bad reviews?

I travel pretty frequently, and work part time in the industry. Horrible things happen everywhere, even at the other ports of call. Have a look at crime statistics in some if the major US cities.

Such a shame to miss such a beautiful island. Just my opinion of course.

"happygran;40925899"We were in St Lucia in February. We hadn't booked an excursion and after research on here decided to walk to Vigie beach. Once we arrived there were a group of local women cleaning up the beach. They were lovely but they advised us to move on as it wasn't safe. So we walked up the beach just past a big hotel. No sooner had we put our towels down, a young man came over..........offering protection in exchange for money. We purposely only brought a couple of dollars with us. At first I kept my head down and let my OH deal with him........but then he was getting really nasty...........he didn't believe that we didn't have any money and he was getting very agitated.........had 2 kids to feed etc.........Luckily he was harmless and we made a quick getaway......but I found it extremely intimidating. Those around the port area were much the same. We're due to go back to St Lucia next year but will pre-book a trip, take no money and wear no jewelry.

We've traveled all over......all round the Med........Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Italy, France, Spain, & North Africa, USA, Canada, Caribbean and this is the first time that we've felt intimidated at all."

From MVoelker:

I am usually not scared, I have traveled years with my kids because my husband doesn't like the warmer weather but I guess just second guessing with other posts on CC.

Edited by MVoelker

Yes, that's one report, not many.

You are the only one who can decide what makes you comfortable or uncomfortable.

As for me, I"m not convinced that I will be in any more danger on St Lucia than I will be in Cozumel, Boston, San Juan, New York, Cancun, etc.

For more details on this tragic happening, and more perspective, here you go: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147342-i247-k7130712-Yet_another_death-St_Lucia.html

If you have decided St. Lucia is unsafe, there's absolutely nothing anyone can say that will change your mind - no info, statistics, perspectives, etc. It is unfortunate, as St Lucia is a beautiful place to visit (and live for that matter) and crime overall, and especially against visitors, is rare. Hence why you hear about it when it does happen. If it were a common occurrence, the news wouldn't make such an issue out of it.

for those of you who do choose to visit St. Lucia and experience the beauty and hospitality of the island - have a wonderful time. For those who choose to stay on the ship while here - enjoy your "sea day".

Just back from a cruise with a stop in St. Lucia. Definitely a toss up between Belize and St. Lucia in regards to feeling unsafe. We took this cruise as our last cruise for a while to help us determine where we would do a land based vacation next year and I did not feel comfortable in St. Lucia at all. We went with a Tour (spencer ambrose) and all of the little cities we went too I did not feel very comfortable at all. Only stop on this cruise. I've been a police officer for 15 years in a large metropolitan area (population of more then 5x then the entire island) so I like to think I'm a little more aware of my surroundings. From the pot smoking thugs on the public side of Jalouise beach to the punks hiding in the bushes at the various photographic spots this island is definitely not a place I would bring my family for vacation (it was just the wife and I on this cruise). It is beautiful for sure, but it's no where I'm making plans to go back to anytime soon.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, that's one report, not many.

You are the only one who can decide what makes you comfortable or uncomfortable.

As for me, I"m not convinced that I will be in any more danger on St Lucia than I will be in Cozumel, Boston, San Juan, New York, Cancun, etc.

That good advice? Crime in St Lucia bad to tourist not like other place you list.

I have read so many bad reviews that I think we will not be getting off the ship. I had one poster reply "hateful" imo to that but I just don't want that risk. I am responsible for all the women in our group.

Smart lady, this bad place for cruise people now

we will be in St Lucia in December and while we intend to do a shore excursion we have decided that it will be a ships excursion.but we will not miss seeing the beauty of the island

a few years ago we did the same thing in Belize and from others on the ship that we spoke to it was a good decision

I have read crime warnings for MANY places in the world. We are frequent travelers, do our research and then make a personal decision re where we go, how we react to locals, how to prepare, what we choose to do, etc. And that' s all one can do when traveling. (other than carrying a weapon).

If we would be scared away by what we read, I know we wouldn't go on a cruise ship. THINK ABOUT IT! There have been murders, rapes, robberies, fires, sewage backups, noro infections, etc. And yet those afraid to step on a port of call aren't afraid to face what is happening on cruise ships? ;)

When you look at the big picture, thinking smart and making the decisions to keep you out of harm's way is the most reliable form of self defense. If you don't feel comfortable on an island, yes, make it into a sea day....and just hope you don't catch noro while onboard.:D

Edited by eandj

We still get off the ship in St. Lucia ... but only take tours offered by the ship or possibly with a long time reputable independent. We will no longer take a taxi or roam around on our own there.

Crime is everyplace ... but in some places it is worse than others. :o

LuLu

~~~

I certainly read all of the posts and take all of the advise and comments from others very seriously. We were there in Dec. 09 and had the best tour with Spencer Ambrose. I would still recommend doing a tour with a tour guide, but since I've already done that I was/am considering going to a resort for the day. We don't go for almost another year....I guess I'll keep reading and hoping that the reports get better!

We took the water taxi to the market and spent some time shopping. After an hour or so a lady called a taxi to take us to the beach. We had a great time on the island and would definitely go back. Yes, we we offered to purchase pot; however, no more than Costa Rica or other islands. St. Lucia was one of our favorite islands.

just reporting that a large group of us visited st lucia mar.13, 2014 - children and adults - taxied to virgie beach - asked the driver to let us out near the airport shacks - and we felt that it was safe enough to spend a whole day there - negotiated a return trip for $30 in a large taxi van- didn't pay him until the end of the trip.

We have visited St. Lucia several times and have never felt remotely threatened or insecure. It's a lovely, picturesque island and should be enjoyed. On one occasion when on ST. Lucia we had a wonderful tour with Cosol tours, Cosol happening to be a former policeman on St. Lucia. Frankly, there are more scary places in the US then St. Lucia.