This is going hurt , Canadian dollar dropping

Ex-Airbalancer

I heard Kevin O'leary say recently that he always keeps x amount of money in $US and everyone should do that for reasons such as this. Guess thats why he's worth $300M and I'm not.

Me either.. I have about 450$ us saved up that's it.. Its sucks... But what can you do about it .. I wish I had Kevin O'Leary kind of money

The only problem is you need book a balcony or higher and look at prices :eek:

Probably cheaper to book without the " free bees" lol

Actually, it may not be a bad deal at all. The listed veranda price for the Alaska Hubbard Glacier Cruise is $1749 USD, no bonus. With this Go Canada offer, the price is $1689 CAD, in spite of the weak Loonie, plus you get 2 of 3 bonuses. Even at par you'd be saving on the price, and with the current exchange rate, that saving is increased considerably.

Actually, it may not be a bad deal at all. The listed veranda price for the Alaska Hubbard Glacier Cruise is $1749 USD, no bonus. With this Go Canada offer, the price is $1689 CAD, in spite of the weak Loonie, plus you get 2 of 3 bonuses. Even at par you'd be saving on the price, and with the current exchange rate, that saving is increased considerably.

I guess I have watching the transatlantic price were I am hoping to get a balcony for $799 for 2 weeks :D

I guess I have watching the transatlantic price were I am hoping to get a balcony for $799 for 2 weeks :D

We're looking for a TA for 2015, so do let me know if you find one at that price! :)

Edited by Fouremco

I just looked at a Feb 28 2015 cruise and the exchange rate is still at 99. :):)

I heard Kevin O'leary say recently that he always keeps x amount of money in $US and everyone should do that for reasons such as this. Guess thats why he's worth $300M and I'm not.
He was a dragon and now he's a shark.

Buy as much as you can on the website pre-cruise, including OBC, specialty dining, etc. They will be payable in Canadian dollars and I find that Celebrity's conversion rate is usually very favourable.
It's a good deal but what happens if ou don't use all the OBC that you've purchased ?

Is it refunded ? In CDN $'s ?

Last week I booked specialty resto package, drink package and some shore excursion packages for a TA in November.

Wouldn't normally do it so far in advance, but got a favourable rate and figured better to lock in now.

OBC is good idea, too, if at par. Thanks for suggestion!

Scott

I just looked at a Feb 28 2015 cruise and the exchange rate is still at 99. :):)He was a dragon and now he's a shark.

It's a good deal but what happens if ou don't use all the OBC that you've purchased ?

Is it refunded ? In CDN $'s ?

Yes, the OBC is refundable, in USD. Although some people have been refunded in cash, the norm is to refund it to whatever charge card you have used for your onboard charges. In my case, that's a TD USD VISA, so no currency conversion.

We're looking for a TA for 2015, so do let me know if you find one at that price! :)

To find the best you have wait unit after finial payment day , found good pricing 70 days out

Right on the April TA, Celebrity has over 1200 cabins to sell, (it been snowing lately , with too much time on my hands :p)

Reflection has over 200 cabins, they are going have to do something to sell them

I have seen those $699 balcony prices before

I have a us bank account that I put money in whenever I can. I also have a Visa card that is in US dollars that I use on the ship. When I get home I use the money in my US account to pay that Visa card. I try to put money in the account whenever the exchange is favourable. Also there are no charges for currency conversion. We travel to the states once or twice a year. So it is very convenient.

Am sailing in June and would like to pre-purchase additional OBC to avoid the credit card conversion onboard. How do I do this? Tried going to My Celebrity page but don't see any link there. I did book with a T/A...do I have to have her purchase it for me?

Thanks all!

Cathy

Hi Cathy. The Celebrity website is not the easiest to navigate your way through, so follow these steps:

- go to the home page

- towards the bottom there are five or six grey text columns, one of which is captioned "Travel Tools"

- within "Travel Tools", click on "Gifts By Celebrity"

- now click on "Gifts By Celebrity Delivery Aboard"

- there are six choices here, one of which is for OBC

Just follow the instructions from there. You don't need to be signed in to your My Celebrity account, as anyone can make a purchase here. So if you have generous friends or family, they too can buy OBC for you! :)

Just bought $350 US OBC for 362.50 Cdn. Heck of a lot better then converting on my credit card or at the bank.

This was at the Celebrity's Bon Voyage / Gifts department (800 242 6374) .I was told any unused amount will be placed back on my credit card.

Edited by richstowe

If you live in Canada, a good TA will quote you in USD and in CAD.- and they are sometimes not equal if there have been recent currency fluctuations..

We have had numerous cruises over the past few years as our dollar was strong. And trips to the US.

We are now switching to other types of travel, other countries. As an example, we saved about twenty percent on our vacation to South Africa by waiting a tear and going when their currency was low.

we are having the same problem in Australia. A year ago we were getting AU$1.05 to US$1. now is AU$.86 to US$1. we are sailing in July from Rome. He have had to update the budget:(

I think you quoted that backwards! I would be very happy if our currency exchange with the US$ was moving in that direction.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

Hi Cathy. The Celebrity website is not the easiest to navigate your way through, so follow these steps:

- go to the home page

- towards the bottom there are five or six grey text columns, one of which is captioned "Travel Tools"

Just follow the instructions from there. You don't need to be signed in to your My Celebrity account, as anyone can make a purchase here. So if you have generous friends or family, they too can buy OBC for you! :)

Thank you so much FOURMCO for one of the best tips ever. If you are on the Eclipse transatlantic in April a drink is in order....and not just an Elite coupon.

The only thing I can add to this is to ensure that you are on Celebrity Canadian website. You will know when you see that the charge for $25 US is $25.90.

I just purchased $500Us obc for $518 Cnd. The rate works out to 1.036.

If I had purchased the same OBC on the US Celebrity site my credit card would

be charged $578 Cn. I saved $60 due to this wonderful tip. With rates predicated to continue the dip this could an even better deal in April. So nice to get a tip from a fellow "Nations Capital" citizen.

Start the car, honey. Let's get out of here before they notice!

Thank you so much FOURMCO for one of the best tips ever. If you are on the Eclipse transatlantic in April a drink is in order....and not just an Elite coupon.

The only thing I can add to this is to ensure that you are on Celebrity Canadian website. You will know when you see that the charge for $25 US is $25.90.

I just purchased $500Us obc for $518 Cnd. The rate works out to 1.036.

If I had purchased the same OBC on the US Celebrity site my credit card would

be charged $578 Cn. I saved $60 due to this wonderful tip. With rates predicated to continue the dip this could an even better deal in April. So nice to get a tip from a fellow "Nations Capital" citizen.

Start the car, honey. Let's get out of here before they notice!

Have to remember that if we book an April TA

Anyone of any good deal for room in FLL , by Total Wines :D

Have to remember that if we book an April TA

Anyone of any good deal for room in FLL , by Total Wines :D

Try looking at value trips dot com. Not sure whether they have available rooms but it is about a five to ten minute walk to Total Wine!

snow bunny

- go to the home page

I too send my thanks! Just added $150 OBC to our booking in March. Does not sound like much in savings but every bit helps!

snow bunny