Disembarking Day Early?

vmarq

Does anyone have any information or had experience disembarking in the port the day before the end of the cruise? We would like to leave the ship at the port prior to our disembarkment port. Any info would be appreciated.

We just did this in September on our Alaskan cruise.

We had to contact Celebrity to get permission. They send you a letter to confirm you are leaving early. We contacted the Capt Club for this.

Since we are Canadian and had already been in Prince Rupert BC we were allowed to disembark in Victoria.

You may have to check the customs issues with the cruise line.

One thing to note was that we had to go to Guest Relations the night before to tell them we would not be leaving the ship in the morning but at 2:00. They had to reactivate our seapasses to include the whole day of departure so we could leave our luggage in our room and went on a tour of Victoria and then returned to the ship to have lunch and one last drink and pick up our luggage. When we actually were disembarking the card swipe made a different noise and they had to call guest Relations to be sure we were disembarking. Not a big issue.

Have a great cruise!

I would love to take that Solstice cruise that goes southbound Pacific coast, however, it ends in Ensenada. Why go through all of that hassle getting from Ensenada to San Diego. I called them up and asked if I couldn't just get off one day early in San Diego and they said "NO". I don't understand it since the ship was already in a foreign port of Vancouver.

Anyone got an thoughts on this one.

I have read too many horror stories about going from Ensenada to San Diego besides the fact that it is a long yucky bus ride that is so unnecessary.

Does anyone have any information or had experience disembarking in the port the day before the end of the cruise? We would like to leave the ship at the port prior to our disembarkment port. Any info would be appreciated.

Can't answer that without knowing your itinerary. For example, if you're leaving from Miami, hitting a couple of Caribbean ports, then Key West and then back to Miami, you cannot disembark in Key West.

I would love to take that Solstice cruise that goes southbound Pacific coast, however, it ends in Ensenada. Why go through all of that hassle getting from Ensenada to San Diego. I called them up and asked if I couldn't just get off one day early in San Diego and they said "NO". I don't understand it since the ship was already in a foreign port of Vancouver.

I have read too many horror stories about going from Ensenada to San Diego besides the fact that it is a long yucky bus ride that is so unnecessary.

Greetings

If that cruise originates in the USA then it is a violation of the PVSA to leave the ship in San Diego. Vancouver is not a far foreign port as defined by the PVSA.

Good Sailing

Tom

It is illegal to debark in San Diego on that cruise; since it is a one way (not round trip) cruise, the ship would have to call at a distant foreign port first for you to be able to debark in another US city. Since the ship stops at a near foreign port (Vancouver) but not a distant foreign port, you need to debark out of the US (hence why the cruise ends in Ensedada. 90% of the passengers would probably debark in San Diego if it was legal.

I currently live in Rosarito, Mexico (a little north of Ensenada) and it's really not that huge of a hassle to get from Ensenada to San Diego. I'm curious as to what these horror stories you are referring to are...

Thanks for the replies. I did not realize the foreign port had to be a "distant" foreign port. I thought "foreign" was "foreign" like Vancouver. I wasn't aware there was an issue with how far away the foreign port was.

Unfortunately, I don't remember enough of the "horror" stories but they were experiences of passengers that I read about here on cruise critic being transported in the buses from Ensenada to San Diego and their bad experience with the whole process.

We had to do this on the Solstice in Sept. No big deal on our bus. Longer than we were told, but our bus was in good shape, not at all yucky. We took water on with us, our kindles and just relaxed and enjoyed the view. The cruise itself was worth any minor hassle at the end and we would do it again.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The cruise originates and ends in Rome. The last port is Naples so we were wondering if we could disembark there instead of Rome.

Probably; Italy does have cabotage laws, but less restrictive than the PVSA in the US. You would have to obtain advance approval from the cruise line because they need to ensure local authorities will be ready and available for you to debarkation there.

If your late arriving before the boat leaves, they will leave you anyways, so just take your luggage with you and just be late to the ship

:)

A very interesting way to circumvent the system! Love the idea!!

If your late arriving before the boat leaves, they will leave you anyways, so just take your luggage with you and just be late to the ship

:)

Very bad advice! First of all security would likely block people from leaving with their luggage. Second one would incur a $300 per/person fine for violating the PVSA. Third missing the ship creates issues as people on board will be searching for you and occasionally sail-a-way may be delayed. Fourth if the cruise line determined you did this intentionally they could potentially ban you from sailing on all RCCL brands.

Hello, My summer home is in Provence and last year I disembarked from the Reflection TA in Toulon (as did about twenty other passengers). I arranged and requested it with Celebrity, it was approved..done and dusted.

The French authorities were not even present to check anything and I went to the cubicle to ask if they needed to stamp my passport and they said, MAIS NON, MADAME and that was because I entered the EU in Lanzarote!

This of course became a problem because you need to show an arrival stamp on departure from the EU. So be warned (lots of cruisers have experienced this).

We have done this many times in Europe, but we are European Citizens.

If you hold a US passport, you really need to take advice from Celebrity to disembark in Rome before your final destination. Immigration is not as tight as the US, but you don't want trouble in a foreign country, I am sure.

If you caused problems for Celebrity by doing this without permission, you could be put on their black list.

We were on a cruise where a group of Chinese got off and toured to the next port (overnight) without permission. The Captain refused to allow them to reboard the next day.