Mid Day Dining Attire on Marina

SweetPease

Is it acceptable for DH to wear dress shorts and shirt in GDR for lunch? This being our first O experience, we don't want to offend anyone. When we are in the tropics, I generally wear a pair of carpris or a sundress during the day and DH wears dress shorts and collared shirts. Thanks.

Dress during the day, even in GDR, is fairly casual. You will be fine in capris or a sundress.

About the only real "no-no" is swimming suit or muscle shirt. Most people are quite casual at breakfast and lunch, so don't worry to much unless you're a "sun bunny" who wears only a swimsuit during the day.

By the way, we enjoy Waves Grill for lunch rather than GDR most days. Give it a try. The Kobe burger and Surf/Turf sandwich (sliced lobster and filet) are so good, we seldom eat elsewhere at lunch. Maybe Terrace for dessert, if we're not interested in the ice cream station that day (the Smoothies and malts are really yummy!)

Edited by TKS

Is it acceptable for DH to wear dress shorts and shirt in GDR for lunch? This being our first O experience, we don't want to offend anyone. When we are in the tropics, I generally wear a pair of carpris or a sundress during the day and DH wears dress shorts and collared shirts. Thanks.

You both will be perfect and the MDR is a real treat at lunchtime.

Let us also vote for the GDR at lunch (and breakfast as well). If we aren't off on a tour, that's what we normally do.

We alternate with Terrace and Waves, yes. But we really like the leisurely service in the GDR.

For lunch, you can check the menu posted outside and see if you'd rather do Waves or Terrace. Breakfast is a standard menu. (Don't miss the Eggs Benedict of Lamb Chops.)

Dress is casual, so that's not a problem. Only at dinner time do they "up" the standards. And even then, it's far from formal!

Mura

Thank you all for the responses. Our cruise documents didn't differentiate between meals for dress. We will definitely try Waves and the Terrace Cafe. (My mouth is watering just reading about the surf and turf sandwich!). We just prefer to sit for a nice leisurely breakfast and/or lunch once or twice while cruising. Thanks again! Only a little over six weeks until we board Marina! Can hardly wait!!! :)

Edited by SweetPease

Don't need "dress" shorts or collared shirts before 6 PM. Any type of shorts and shirt are acceptable, even tee shirts with logos but, please not vulgar logos.

Actually don't really know what "dress" shorts are and don't think I have any among my many pairs. I even would wear cargo shorts even though there are some who don't like them on board. They are all acceptable.

Don't need "dress" shorts or collared shirts before 6 PM. Any type of shorts and shirt are acceptable, even tee shirts with logos but, please not vulgar logos.

Actually don't really know what "dress" shorts are and don't think I have any among my many pairs. I even would wear cargo shorts even though there are some who don't like them on board. They are all acceptable.

By "dress" shorts, I simply mean a poly/cotton blend with a buttoned pocket on the side, pleated; as opposed to denim, cotton, etc. Nice to know he can bring along his denim shorts as well (they are not ratty, but not as nice as the others).

As for t-shirts, we've given away all those that might have been considered vulgar; outgrew those in our 20's and 30's (many years ago) ;). We did keep the nicer ones, so perhaps will bring a couple of those for wearing near the pool. :D

From what I was interpreting, it sounded as though shorts were really not appropriate in any of the finer establishments during night OR day. Good to know I misinterpreted!

Just another dress code question. I saw the word muscle shirt. Would that be acceptable in the terrace grill with shorts for a man or is it only waves grill?

This is only personal opinion but I feel a muscle shirt, or what is vulgarly known as a wife beater has no place in any restaurant at any time. I truly don't care for open hairy armpits around food.

As far as what the dress code say about it I'm not sure. Good taste and common sense says no.

Just another dress code question. I saw the word muscle shirt. Would that be acceptable in the terrace grill with shorts for a man or is it only waves grill?

In one word NO! Fortunately Oceania does not normally get cruisers who would dress like that....:rolleyes:

...even tee shirts with logos but, please not vulgar logos...

When I am on vacation, I live in t-shirts...mostly car racing, soccer and destination shirts...

...of course, I change for lunch and dinner.. no problem...but back to a t-shirt for nighttime relaxing.

I probably bring 20 or 30 with me. :p

..like some women bring shoes. :cool:

When I am on vacation, I live in t-shirts...mostly car racing, soccer and destination shirts...

...of course, I change for lunch and dinner.. no problem...but back to a t-shirt for nighttime relaxing.

Sorry! Still like your photos.;)

Edited by orchestrapal

I too live in tee shirts, mostly regarding car racing (rally) and see absolutely no reason to change in order to eat at Waves or Terrace Buffet. Would probably also not change if I were eating lunch in the Grand Dining Room. See no reason to need to change to eat during the day. Of course would dress appropriately in any of the Dining Rooms after 6 PM.

Appropriate shorts and tee shirts are acceptable throughout the ship before 6 PM. Think the fashion police need to avoid casting aspersions on dress prior to 6 PM when the Oceania Dress Policy becomes active and also avoid comments regarding clothing within the Oceania Guidelines that don't suit their version of what is appropriate.

Also, please don't forget that the Oceania Dress Code is not definitive and while most of us follow their "requests", not following their "requests" does not make a person incorrect. Unless or until Oceania changes the wording on the Dress Code to be more definitive, by the wording provided there really is no definitive dress code on Oceania.

I do not see many people going off to change just to eat lunch

I also do not see any dress code rules about the time (6 pm) that they supposedly kick in

Many people will go to Happy Hour in shorts then go change for dinner

Nice shorts & shirts are ALLOWED in the Terrace for dinner

We did see one person turned away from the GDR wearing shorts to dinner.

People seem to like to push the envelope even though they know they are inappropriately dressed for most dining venues

JMO

Edited by LHT28

Wow -- Who knew that a question about a shirt with no sleeves would spark such responses....I do appreciate the objective and respectful responses... as for the "vulgar and hairy armpit" response .....well lets just say.... my husband can pull off that type of shirt :) and he will wear one of those shirts like women would wear a cover-up, near the pool. I just know that he, like many others doesn't like to change on a pool day just for lunch.

As well, I have seen far too many women that still wear a bikini or inappropriate attire for their age when someone ought to tell them...that ship sailed a long time ago...