Ncl

jean0151

Decided to jump ship after 14 carnival sailings. Only because I wanted to sail out of NY and had been on Splendor last year. Well, I could not believe that the price of this feb cruise has dropped almost $1500 for the four of us. NCL offers NOTHING. I was in shock !!!! I will keep haunting them. The last cruise on Carnival I ended up with a $900 shipboard credit. I check the price once a day. I can tell you Ill be going back to Carnival.

Decided to jump ship after 14 carnival sailings. Only because I wanted to sail out of NY and had been on Splendor last year. Well, I could not believe that the price of this feb cruise has dropped almost $1500 for the four of us. NCL offers NOTHING. I was in shock !!!! I will keep haunting them. The last cruise on Carnival I ended up with a $900 shipboard credit. I check the price once a day. I can tell you Ill be going back to Carnival.

NCL doesn't have Early Saver and will slash prices after final payment if necessary in order to fill the ship, but only for new bookings (so technically you could cancel and rebook but then of course you would have a penalty that would probably not make it worth it).

I'm curious, other than price, what did you enjoy more about Carnival more than NCL? What do you still enjoy more about NCL over Carnival? I've noticed that many people who stick with NCL love the freestyle cruising and entertainment (enthusiastic crowd by the way), but some people who try it for the first time after sailing with other lines, tend to be disappointed with the food and cabins. Some of NCL's reviews may be a bit unfair because of uninformed expectations. I do like that the lines are becoming more distinct, a flavor for everyone.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

I'm curious, other than price, what did you enjoy more about Carnival more than NCL? What do you still enjoy more about NCL over Carnival? I've noticed that many people who stick with NCL love the freestyle cruising and entertainment (enthusiastic crowd by the way), but some people who try it for the first time after sailing with other lines, tend to be disappointed with the food and cabins. Some of NCL's reviews may be a bit unfair because of uninformed expectations. I do like that the lines are becoming more distinct, a flavor for everyone.

I liked them both just about equally with a slight edge for NCL because their entertainment is better and I do like the Freestyle concept. For me it comes down to price (and probably always will no matter how many lines that I try, and I do want to sail with all of the mainstream lines at least once).

I guess you weren't aware that no other cruise line has the Early Saver program.:(

ES is not enough to persuade me to just sail Carnival but to some it is.

Choice is great.:)

Bill

NCL offers NOTHING. I was in shock !!!!

When you return to Carnival, make sure that you book specifically an Early Saver fare code, otherwise you'll be shocked when you also end up with NOTHING. That's about the ONLY way to get any price protection. But dont be fooled because that fare code comes with its own set of penalties, restrictions and very fine print. The "savings" are not enticing enough for me to even consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

While you won't get any OBC, have you considered asking to upgrade your cabin? Our recent (and first) NCL cruise saw our price drop over $400 after final payment. We were satisfied with our cabin, and didn't upgrade, but might be worth it for you.

I think if I book another NCL cruise, I will wait to book, and drive to port (NYC or Boston).

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Forums mobile app

Not much difference in freestyle versus anytime dining - except in the "complimentary" dining room on NCL Sky there was never any lobster, prime rib or shrimp served. Cabins were smaller.

We had that happen to us and NCL upgraded us to a suite. ;)

After final payment ....?

I sailed NCL Breakaway last September and my travel agent was always able to adjust my pricing every time there was drop up to final payment. At one point I just took upgrade.

But I am loyal to Carnival all the way. Have 3 booked for this year already. First up, March 1st on Breeze. can't wait.

Not much difference in freestyle versus anytime dining - except in the "complimentary" dining room on NCL Sky there was never any lobster, prime rib or shrimp served. Cabins were smaller.

Yes but NCL does freestyle better, or worse, depending on how you look at it. If you want to dress casual every night of the cruise, it's your choice. For people who hate dressing up, or always have to dress up for work and see it that they're on vacation, it's a plus.

When you return to Carnival, make sure that you book specifically an Early Saver fare code, otherwise you'll be shocked when you also end up with NOTHING. That's about the ONLY way to get any price protection. But dont be fooled because that fare code comes with its own set of penalties, restrictions and very fine print. The "savings" are not enticing enough for me to even consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've booked every cruise but one with ES, that one didn't offer it. What penalties and restrictions are so bad you won't consider it ? I save a lot with it.

It's not the ONLY way to get price protection, just the only way after final payment.

I've booked every cruise but one with ES, that one didn't offer it. What penalties and restrictions are so bad you won't consider it ?

We like to book our cruises over a year in advance. Unfortunately, booking that far out means that the likelihood of something happening that may change our travel plans increases. Booking a cruise fare that may be cheaper, but that comes with more penalties for potential changes, is not the wisest choice for us as we may end up paying more in penalties than what we would be saving.

Among these penalties:

- Penalty of $50 per person / per occurrence for any changes prior to final payment

- No date/ship sailings without paying penalties, even outside of final payment

- NON refundable deposit. It's true that the deposit (minus the $50pp penalty) can be credited towards a future cruise booked within the next year, but what if we can't take a cruise during that time frame? What if we want to sail on a different cruise line instead?

- NO name changes, PERIOD

- NO category downgrades, even outside of penalty, PERIOD

Once again, the potential savings are not enticing enough when all of these restrictions will be hovering over my head until the day I sail.

Edited by Tapi

We like to book our cruises over a year in advance. Unfortunately, booking that far out means that the likelihood of something happening that may change our travel plans increases. Booking a cruise fare that may be cheaper, but that comes with more penalties for potential changes, is not the wisest choice for us as we may end up paying more in penalties than what we would be saving.

Among these penalties:

- Penalty of $50 per person / per occurrence for any changes prior to final payment

- No date/ship sailings without paying penalties, even outside of final payment

- NON refundable deposit. It's true that the deposit (minus the $50pp penalty) can be credited towards a future cruise booked within the next year, but what if we can't take a cruise during that time frame? What if we want to sail on a different cruise line instead?

- NO name changes, PERIOD

- NO category downgrades, even outside of penalty, PERIOD

Once again, the potential savings are not enticing enough when all of these restrictions will be hovering over my head until the day I sail.

I am WELL aware of what the penalties are. I just asked WHICH one keeps you from booking. How often do you make NAME changes ? If you do it frequently then it's not for you no. Yes you take a chance that IF you have to change cruises you lose $50, worth the risk to me. I don't book a room I'm not willing to pay for, so NO need to downgrade. You have TWO years to take that cruise. But ES is not for everyone, I guess it's not for you :).

ES may be the way to book for many people, but doesn't work for DW and myself. We rarely book a cruise more than 3 months in advance, and often book within a month of sail date. ES is not available when we book as the deadline for this category has passed.

Sometimes, we are very limited on cabin availability, but recently have had no issues with getting a cabin we like. Being retired and impulsive, guess I will keep booking cruises as we are now.

BTW, I can not imagine booking a cruise 1 year in advance. I would go "stir" crazy waiting.:eek: