Travel Insurance

WayneFougere

Thanks, I read an insurance thread a while back (not on HAL). One poster made a very interesting argument about not buying cancellation insurance for frequent cruisers. I recalled he/she argued that for every 7 to 10 policies one buys, it adds up to the cost of one trip. I don't know if that math sounds reasonable.

Based on my research (that 3rd party trip cancellation & interruption insurance will cost me about 5% of our upcoming cruise), it would take about 20 trips to self insure. If costs were only a few thousand, then self insuring is no big deal (to me); but when the cruise is reaching almost $20,000, I'm more motivated to insure it. I note that HAL's platinum insurance is 11.8% of our upcoming trip (earlier, I misunderstood the cost; but after a phone call yesterday to HAL, I now know the actual cost of insurance) and it only reimburses 90% of the cruise. So if the HAL insurance was the only option and if I were a frequent cruiser (which I'm not, yet), self insurance might make sense.

Luckily my home and extended health insurance (from work) cover all the incidental, medical and evacuation insurance while traveling; so, I only need to concentrate on the cost of the trip itself.

Regards,

Wayne

Costco's insurance is by far the best deal that I've found. It's always far less than what a cruise line offers while giving you much better coverage but of course you have to purchase your cruise with them in order to buy their insurance. Since I booked with another TA this time (strictly because they are giving us enough frequent flyer miles on United to cover one RT ticket to Hawaii which is a much better deal for us than the OBC from CT), I had to buy trip insurance independently. I bought it from CSA and although it does not cover pre-existing, the coverage is great and it was only 4% of the non-refundable trip costs (and that includes cruise, air, and hotel).

Regarding coverage for "pre-existing conditions", my insurance agent found me one that covers pre-existing conditions as long as they've been stable for about six months (180 days). Is that typical or can you purchase coverage for all pre-existing conditions regardless of the last time it was a problem?

Personally there's only one pre-existing condition I need to consider. A son was hospitalized in December which is less than six months before our upcoming April cruise. A reoccurrence is so extremely unlikely that it's unthinkable (but there's always a chance I've misjudge the issue). I'm thinking of chancing it and getting the coverage; but before I do, I'd like to know: is there any coverage for "ALL" pre-existing conditions regardless of when it occurred?

I'd like to know: is there any coverage for "ALL" pre-existing conditions regardless of when it occurred?

There are a couple of policies out there that cover all pre-existing conditions, but they have to be purchased within a very short time after booking the crusie. Usually it's something like 7-21 days, depending on the company.

Regarding coverage for "pre-existing conditions", my insurance agent found me one that covers pre-existing conditions as long as they've been stable for about six months (180 days). Is that typical or can you purchase coverage for all pre-existing conditions regardless of the last time it was a problem?

Personally there's only one pre-existing condition I need to consider. A son was hospitalized in December which is less than six months before our upcoming April cruise. A reoccurrence is so extremely unlikely that it's unthinkable (but there's always a chance I've misjudge the issue). I'm thinking of chancing it and getting the coverage; but before I do, I'd like to know: is there any coverage for "ALL" pre-existing conditions regardless of when it occurred?

Mine covers all regardless of time frame. With cancer there is no 6 months of inactivity in my life, it is a constant. While I'm not currently in chemo I am under constant care and monitoring for it, including blood transfusions about every 1 to 2 months.

I would imagine many others with chronic illnesses have the same issues (diabetic, ms, parkinsons, copd etc.)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Just finished the paper work for filing a claim for a cancelled cruise. Not very hard to complete. They wanted a form filled out by the treating doctor(they do ask if it's a new condition or when you were first treated for it), a copy of my booking info, a copy of the paper work from HAL showing what they refunded,a copy of the AMEX part of the bill where I paid for the cruise and again a copy of the refunded amount. Oh, and yes. For whatever reason, a copy of the meds the sick person is on. Sending it out this week and will see how long it takes to get reimbursed.

There are also policies with shorter look-back periods. The least I've seen is 60 days. That means if the condition has not needed treatment or medication adjustment - even if it is to decrease or eliminate a drug - during that period, then it is considered stable. I think it is more a matter of when one was last treated for a condition rather than when it occurred. If something is ongoing, then one needs to buy insurance with a waiver. If it is an isolated event, it needs to be stable. That is the purpose of the look-back.

CSA offers a policy that covers pre-existing conditions if the policy is paid for within a few days of final payment as opposed to initial payment. That seems like a good alternative if you have any doubt.

The answers here are good to point you in a general direction, but I'd advise to do some research on a site like insure my trip then call for clarification once you've narrowed your choices. That is the only way to know you are getting exactly what you need.

Edited by Babr

We booked with Costco! I'm going to look into their insurance!

AlohaPride - if you haven't already found it, here's the link:

http://www.costcotravel.com/Info/insurance

You can do it online or over the phone directly with Travel Guard (Costco's provider). The Costco TA's don't handle the insurance part for you anymore.

Aloha,

Barb (Palapala ;))

AlohaPride - if you haven't already found it, here's the link:

http://www.costcotravel.com/Info/insurance

You can do it online or over the phone directly with Travel Guard (Costco's provider). The Costco TA's don't handle the insurance part for you anymore.

Aloha,

Barb (Palapala ;))

Thanks!! Another Hawaiian name for Barbara taken from the meaning behind Barbara is Mea'e (which happens to be our second daughters middle name ;) )

I just found out that with my credit card year round insurance, which I pay around $450/year for - my DH's pre-existing is not covered no-how because it IMPROVED in the last three months to the point that he came off of a med. It's a change, so therefore rules out the coverage. Oh man. So my only option is to go with the HAL package, which will reimburse 90% for pre-existing, on top of the other policy. This is for a 22-day cruise, so cruise cost is much higher than usual. Therefore, our total insurance cost for this trip is around $1,400.

Thanks!! Another Hawaiian name for Barbara taken from the meaning behind Barbara is Mea'e (which happens to be our second daughters middle name ;) )

Really!! That's so cool!! We've been going to Maui since 1989, were married there, own a home there, and I have NEVER run across Mea'e as another name for Barbara! Mahalo for teaching me something new!! :D

PS - pronounced similar to pikake (me-ah-eh) or is the middle syllable emphasized?

Really!! That's so cool!! We've been going to Maui since 1989, were married there, own a home there, and I have NEVER run across Mea'e as another name for Barbara! Mahalo for teaching me something new!! :D

PS - pronounced similar to pikake (me-ah-eh) or is the middle syllable emphasized?

It's pronounced May-ah-A emphasis on the last "a" :) it has the same meaning as the origin of Barbara as a Greek name :)

I just found out that with my credit card year round insurance, which I pay around $450/year for - my DH's pre-existing is not covered no-how because it IMPROVED in the last three months to the point that he came off of a med. It's a change, so therefore rules out the coverage. Oh man. So my only option is to go with the HAL package, which will reimburse 90% for pre-existing, on top of the other policy. This is for a 22-day cruise, so cruise cost is much higher than usual. Therefore, our total insurance cost for this trip is around $1,400.

startwin, you might want to check out CSA. They have a policy that covers pre-exsisting conditions if purchased within 24 hours of your final payment. I can't say how good it is, I bought it once when I inadvertently forgot to buy insurance but fortunately, didn't have to file a claim.

Don't misunderstand, I believe you but---that sounds so wrong!

To think that getting better is cause for an insurance problem is ludicrous! :eek:

But thanks for the warning. My cardiologist has talked about my improvement and maybe reducing some of my meds. I don't know if I can afford it, what with insurance costs. :rolleyes:

We got ours w InsureMyTrip. Give them a call. They are very helpful.

DON

Thanks Don, I checked out the website. It is quite helpful.

BTW, I came across this thread on RCCL's forum. Please read post #20 - a recount of what happened when a family member got sick on a cruise and eventually died, and poster's experience with various insurance coverage.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1976522

Wow - that's steep:eek:, especially if his condition has improved. But at least you can get insurance, which is not always possible for some people here. Sadly, their days of travelling overseas are over.

We always get good medical/ evacuation coverage but we never insure something we can afford to replace - and have saved enough to take several cruises as a result (we usually travel with family and we may be 4 to 10 of us and that is alot of cancellation insurance!) We have never had a problem so if the next cruise involves a cancellation we are still way way ahead.)