Deposit vs Paying in Full?

Pyxie

Is there any benefit to paying in full when you book vs paying a deposit and then paying the balance later? I am booking when we get our tax return so I'll have the money to go ahead and pay for the whole thing, but I notice it seems that most people do the deposit so does it matter? If you pay in full and then there is a price drop, can you still get credited the difference?

The only draw back to paying in full is losing the use of that money until the final payment date. Generally it is the final payment date that determines whether you may take advantage of any price drops, not when you actually pay the cruise off.

The only obvious benefit of paying up front is that the money is paid and settled, and financially, you're sorted. As mentioned above, you can't blow it on something else.

The three main drawbacks are firstly, if for whatever reason you change your mind it's a bigger sum you have to get back or risk losing; secondly, in the unlikely event the cruise line goes bust, same problem; thirdly, if your circumstances change and you have to have the money for something else, you haven't got it.

I'd pay deposit only. It's safer that way.

I like to pay a deposit. Wait for price drops and get the price adjusted. If I have the money I save it and earn interest until the final due date comes.

"The other half of a DINK and proud of it!."

Amen!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We do the deposit, then wait till final is due mainly because one of our credit card's always seem to run a 90-120 day promotion where they give 2-3-4 points for every $ spent on vacation related charges. Right now the RCCL/Celebrity Visa is giving 3x points. Last Nov we cashed in points and got a $300 OBC from doing it this way.

The only draw back to paying in full is losing the use of that money until the final payment date. Generally it is the final payment date that determines whether you may take advantage of any price drops, not when you actually pay the cruise off.

^ This was the best advice I received from veteran cruisers and it worked like a charm! Plus, our TA is good about adding little extras. ;)

Is there any benefit to paying in full when you book vs paying a deposit and then paying the balance later? I am booking when we get our tax return so I'll have the money to go ahead and pay for the whole thing, but I notice it seems that most people do the deposit so does it matter? If you pay in full and then there is a price drop, can you still get credited the difference?

The only reason I dont pay in full right away is because I dont have the money to do it. If, like you say, I had my tax returns, Id pay it and be done with it.

Generally, I like to pay a little at a time as I go (If I dont have the money to pay all at once). I wish I could do that with airfare...

Generally paying later is better than paying now.

With some credit card rewards there may be an advantage to accelerating spend. For example, I have a credit card that requires me to spend $2k in the next 3 months in order to get 50k airline points. The sooner I meet the spend requirement, the sooner I get those points to book a flight to the cruise for free rather than spending $$$.

I like to pay a deposit. Wait for price drops and get the price adjusted. If I have the money I save it and earn interest until the final due date comes.."

the amount of interest my cruise money will accumulate over the course of a few months is miniscule.

a con--if you need to cancel your money is still tied up for a few days.

I pay a deposit and make weekly payments.

We do the deposit, then wait till final is due mainly because one of our credit card's always seem to run a 90-120 day promotion where they give 2-3-4 points for every $ spent on vacation related charges. Right now the RCCL/Celebrity Visa is giving 3x points. Last Nov we cashed in points and got a $300 OBC from doing it this way.

A good reason to hold off on final until it is due .

Extra credit card reward promos do pop up often for us also.

We never have carried a balance and use the cards for rewards .

No benefit to paying in full early.