Wait List for Traditional Dining

Erinchita

My family of four is on the wait list for traditional dining (late seating) for an April sailing on the Silhouette. I guess because we booked a little late. At any rate, I really don't want to do select dining. How does the wait list work? Is there a good chance we will get the late seating like we want? Any advice on what we can do to make this happen?

Thank you.

Our observation is that late seating tends to be easier than early seating for reservations, so I think you have a very good chance of getting late seating as you want. Best advice is to immediately head towards the MDR when you get on board. The closest lounge to the MDR will have an assistant maitre d' or maitre d' busily working to accommodate requests such as yours. :)

I would say 'Late sitting' would be the least popular choice with families who have young children!

I believe 'Select' dining is now the most popular option.

On our Hawaiian cruise, there was an announcement on the first night, to the effect that it was FULL, and not to request changes to Select.

BTW

You need to check in your cabin upon arrival, as there should be a card there, with your assigned seating on.

Take that to the Maître 'D if it is not acceptable!

Edited by upwarduk

I'm not sure where it's Spring Break that week, anywhere that I know if it's either in March or the week following Easter.

Anyway I'll check in with the MDR when I get on the ship - thank you everyone!

Agree. Both of my children are teachers. One MA school has the week of March 17th, while the other, in NYS, has the week prior to Easter. This year Easter is on the 20th so schools have from 14th-18th off here.

The week of April 6 is Spring Break here in Michigan, and probably a lot of the midwest. With the horrible weather we have been having, we are all ready for warm weather and not shoveling snow! Enjoy your cruise! We will be on the Reflection that week.

I called Celebrity and requested late dining and was wait listed when we initially made our reservation a couple weeks ago. Just looked the other day at our reservation online and it has been changed to late dining. I would keep checking if you have made the request.

If it isn't changed before the cruise then visit the dining room management as soon as you get on board. They'll have a table set up for this type of inquiry just outside one of the entrances to the main dining room on embarkation day afternoon.

If for any reason you can not be changed then ask at the Select dining reservations desk on board if you could have the same time and same table every night. They usually won't commit to this but they'll try. Select dining reservations is usually on the starboard side (right side when facing towards the front of the ship with your back to the dining room) on the upper level of the dining room. You can stop there right after talking to the traditional dining room management if they say it is a no go on the switch to late seating.

Might I ask why you don't want select dining? You should have no wait at all if you go at "late seating" time....the peak time is around 7PM. You can also eat alone or join others...they give you a choice when you arrive.

The only downside we have found, if you consider it a downside, is that you won't eat with the same folks or at the same table every night.

We would prefer select dining to fixed dining.

Edited by ghstudio

The last time we were "wait listed" was on the Summit,about 6 weeks before the cruise we got traditional dining per the web site. The only problem is when you get select you have to pay your tips up front.

J.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

The reason I would like traditional vs select is that I am the only person in my family that has cruised before, and I feel that the three new cruisers should have the very personal experience of having the same wait staff throughout the cruise. I think it adds to the overall experience, if you haven't had it before.

Just my opinion/preference. Call me crazy. ;)

Thanks to everyone for your input.

The reason I would like traditional vs select is that I am the only person in my family that has cruised before, and I feel that the three new cruisers should have the very personal experience of having the same wait staff throughout the cruise. I think it adds to the overall experience, if you haven't had it before.

Just my opinion/preference. Call me crazy. ;)

Not crazy at all. On RCCL on our 14 night Jewell we found an outstanding waiter (and team) on the 3rd night. We then just asked for our table to be in his section each night for the rest of the cruise. We still did not reserve a time, just went to the dining room around 7h30-7h45 or so when we were ready and asked for him. Never waited more than about 5 minutes. Best of both worlds, flexible time with the same server.

Pretty sure you could do this on Celebrity too from what I've read.

• 2 weeks later...

Just logged into My Celebrity to find that both our reservations are off wait list and in the traditional late seating. Whee! Didn't even have to do anything. Imagine that. I will assume I was visited by the MDR fairy. ;)