Most annoying thing about cruising solo?

Pami1968

There are lots of threads about the joys of solo cruising, and I love it myself. I've cruised over a dozen times by myself and not regretted a moment.

But, there are always things that are not exactly "joyful" about cruising solo.

Maybe you get annoyed when people call you "brave" for sailing alone.

Maybe it is the infamous single supplement.

Maybe it is the thought of possibly eating by yourself.

What is the thing that bugs you the most about cruising solo?

For me, it is that when I want to take an organized tour or excursion, I almost always have to do it through the ship. So many tours have a minimum, or you end up by yourself with a family group of 8, or, if you go alone, you (or at least I) have to worry about getting into a dangerous situation or missing the ship because no one will be looking/waiting for me.

There are lots of threads about the joys of solo cruising, and I love it myself. I've cruised over a dozen times by myself and not regretted a moment.

But, there are always things that are not exactly "joyful" about cruising solo.

Maybe you get annoyed when people call you "brave" for sailing alone.

Maybe it is the infamous single supplement.

Maybe it is the thought of possibly eating by yourself.

What is the thing that bugs you the most about cruising solo?

For me, it is that when I want to take an organized tour or excursion, I almost always have to do it through the ship. So many tours have a minimum, or you end up by yourself with a family group of 8, or, if you go alone, you (or at least I) have to worry about getting into a dangerous situation or missing the ship because no one will be looking/waiting for me.

1. Intrusive and obnoxious questions about "why" I am solo....did I get "dumped"? is a personal favorite.

2. People interrupting my reading to ask what I am "doing".

3. Jocks in the mid life crisis who think I am the answer to their "loneliness".

4. Goons who sit next to me and say, "Do you come here often" and then laugh uproariously because they are oh, so original and witty.

How's that for a start?? :)

ps -- regarding shore trips -- just tell the guest relations desk to expect you to check in when you get back and that if you are not back at xyz time, to send out the search party. That's what I always do.

Edited by artist47

Formal nights! Just not my thing as a solo traveler! Even if there were others in my party, I probably wouldn't bring formal clothing for those somewhat "stuffy evenings." I do well just to pack and travel with the proper "regular" clothing, let alone trying to stuff a suit/special shoes/dress shirts/, etc. into my bag, while trying to stay under the 50 lb limit set by most airlines. My apologies to those of you who live for "dressing up" on your dream cruise, but my own idea of a good (and restful) vacation takes me in a different, more casual, direction.

Just about to go on my 9th solo cruise ( and have done land travel solo as well)

Other than the dreaded single supplement, it is the attitude of some others passengers. It is the ones who look at you like you are an inconvenience and in the way. This mainly applies to the buffet and lounge areas.

If you are sitting at a table for 4 (because that was all that was available) you get the death stare for taking up too much space!!!

I think they forget we all paid our fare, some of us more:p

However I have met many lovely people who have asked if they can share with me.

I agree that the most annoying things are formal nights. I don't like getting dressed up for the benefit of strangers.....When I get dressed up, I do it because I want to look good for someone(s) I care about.......but there aren't any of those people on the ship when I cruise solo. I don't like to dress up just because strangers don't want me to dress casually - but I accept it if I need to (and when I choose to sail on a ship with a dress code, I will adhere to it).

Before someone says it, no, I don't feel better about myself when I'm in dressier clothing (yes, I know studies say most people do, but I'm not one of them). I do feel better about myself when I'm dressed in clothing that is clean, well kept, and fits well, though, and I do feel better when I get admiration about my appearance from those I care about.

-- regarding shore trips -- just tell the guest relations desk to expect you to check in when you get back and that if you are not back at xyz time, to send out the search party. That's what I always do.

I never thought of that! Thanks for the tip.

The most annoying thing for me is that they make me get off the ship when my cruise is over. Other than that, things are pretty good overall.

Hi Neil, how did I know you woud post such a fun complaint?:D:);)

Me too....they ask me to leave.....:(...but I WILL BE BACK:D

For folks who don't enjoy dressing up? Don't.....most cruiseslines offer

all types of venues for formal and non formal nights....there are plenty

of non-single people who don't dress up either. Not sure why this would

be an issue or why anyone would be annoyed~not sure what the

maritial status has to do with it.

Edited by Lois R

Marital status only has to do with my desire to dress up, not with dress codes on the ship........I enjoy dressing up if I'm with family or friends (or a date) who is also dressing up; I don't enjoy it when I'm not with family or friends (or a date). And, my cruise line of choice has ship-wide evening dress codes (eg no shorts in the evening), so there are no casual-dress options other than room service and staying in my cabin. Of course, I could choose another line, but the plusses outweigh the minuses for me.

One thing that bugs me is getting "lapped" when standing in line. Like, most people stand 2 x 2. So when I'm alone, inevitably one of the people behind me will (subconsciously, I assume) slip forward into the space next to me. Then their partner eventually steps forward to join them, and I get squeezed back. This has happened to me a number of times.

Marital status only has to do with my desire to dress up, not with dress codes on the ship........I enjoy dressing up if I'm with family or friends (or a date) who is also dressing up; I don't enjoy it when I'm not with family or friends (or a date). And, my cruise line of choice has ship-wide evening dress codes (eg no shorts in the evening), so there are no casual-dress options other than room service and staying in my cabin. Of course, I could choose another line, but the plusses outweigh the minuses for me.

I see you sail Crystal. Too bad they don't offer you more than 2 dinner

choices.

I see you sail Crystal. Too bad they don't offer you more than 2 dinner

choices.

Yes, it's my biggest complaint about the ship (and if that's the biggest complaint, things are pretty good, LOL). On most nights there are actually 3 choices plus room service - the MDR, the Lido/Tastes, and the specialty restaurants, but the Lido/Tastes option isn't available on "formal optional" nights, sadly. If I can get room, I'd happily eat in the Japanese fusion specialty restaurant every other night, though. I understand the reasons (space and staff allotment on a smaller ship), and I like the other benefits of the line so much, it's still worth it to me.

Hi Neil, how did I know you woud post such a fun complaint?:D:);)

Me too....they ask me to leave.....:(...but I WILL BE BACK:D

Lois, I think I will be back again also, as I really enjoy the solo cruising, but until I win the lottery or something I am afraid they are going to keep kicking me off at the end of the cruise. After the lottery win I will simply book a B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B cruise and stay a little longer.

As far as the formal wear, I don't bother anymore, I just choose a different dining venue for the evening, either the lido or one of the specialty restaurants. I would not go to the MDR on a formal night as I want to be respectful to those who do enjoy the formal dining experience. Neil

They bother you at NCL with a picture in front of a backdrop right before you are boarding. Next time I am declining. I don't want to be bothered with that nonsense

Me too...last time I was bothered with this, I told them to get me a backdrop with a young Mickey Rourke in it, and THEN I would stand for the picture....the guy was French and completely understood....LOL.....

On Star Clippers they don't do this nonsense, but one thing they do for solos is they pose WITH you. I always thought that was a nice welcoming touch and I did buy those. I don't want to look at a photo of myself, but I'll be happy to look at a photo of me with the best looking officer onboard. :D

One thing that bugs me is getting "lapped" when standing in line. Like, most people stand 2 x 2. So when I'm alone, inevitably one of the people behind me will (subconsciously, I assume) slip forward into the space next to me. Then their partner eventually steps forward to join them, and I get squeezed back. This has happened to me a number of times.

Aint dat da troot???? This happens to me ALL the time, on land too...I never knew how to describe it or that there was a word for it...thank you so much for this! I thought I was the only one and I always thought it was because I am small. Tall people have a tendency to do this to small people and that';s what I thought it was about ...I guess it is also because we are "solo"...not just my height. I really appreciate knowing I am not "solo" in this experience!

I came close to having that happen to me on my cruises, but I found a way to preempt that. It's correct that most people stand in pairs, not unlike walking to the cafeteria in elementary school. Solos are an exception, obviously. So here's what I do: Instead of standing behind one person or the other (of the pair in front of me, that is), I stand in the center, so my eyes are looking through the space between their heads. This way, there isn't enough space on either side of me for someone to fit into. The person behind me can either understand that I'm solo or assume that I'm saving a spot for my (phantom) travel partner. I also use tactics borrowed from "how to be assertive" books, so that I'm taking up more space than usual while standing, which prevents people from squeezing in.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

They bother you at NCL with a picture in front of a backdrop right before you are boarding.

Is this an annoying thing for solos? Does NCL bother couples with a picture in front of a backdrop right before boarding?

Formal nights don't bother me at all. I just wear whatever I want, no matter if I'm solo or with someone.

I don't mind being called brave for traveling solo. It beats being called pathetic or being asked "Don't you have any friends?"

While NCL is my favorite cruise line if I'm with someone, it's my least favorite one for traveling solo on, as I found out on my last minute 11 night cruise on the Dawn in 2006. They treated solos in the dining room absolutely terribly compared to how they treated people who were traveling together.

I experienced the "lapping" yesterday when I was standing in the Customs line in Ft. Lauderdale. The Customs people kept yelling "stand two by two" and one said to me, "are you alone?" She was nice enough about it, but I still found it annoying.

The boarding picture thing I find really easy to avoid - I just quicken my pace and walk right past. My very first cruise was on the NCL Epic and I was clueless so as I'm standing in line, I asked the couple in front of me if the pictures were mandatory. LOL, told you I was clueless.

I've been on only four cruises but my most annoying moments have come on ship excursions, especially the bus trips. I was on one in Portland, Maine where the obnoxious guide said, repeatedly, to the whole bus, "you people sitting alone are going to need to pair up." There were two of us and honestly if he had asked me nicely, that's fine. But to embarrass people like that? What an idiot.

[quote name=watson61;41458245

I've been on only four cruises but my most annoying moments have come on ship excursions' date=' especially the bus trips. I was on one in Portland, Maine where the obnoxious guide said, repeatedly, to the whole bus, "you people sitting alone are going to need to pair up." There were two of us and honestly if he had asked me nicely, that's fine. But to embarrass people like that? What an idiot.[/quote]

I have found an easy way to avoid this, I just head to the very back of the bus and since no one else wants to sit there I never hear anything from the tour guide, unless the bus is completely full.

I've been on only four cruises but my most annoying moments have come on ship excursions, especially the bus trips. I was on one in Portland, Maine where the obnoxious guide said, repeatedly, to the whole bus, "you people sitting alone are going to need to pair up." There were two of us and honestly if he had asked me nicely, that's fine. But to embarrass people like that? What an idiot.

I usually lag back at the end of the boarding line. Then, if there is a row completely empty, I can claim it for myself with no one getting upset. :-)

I call it that since the idea that, if you are not part of a twosome, you just don't belong anywhere in life. I've always found it amusing. How often do you see people in couples, or families, arguing and having trouble with each other on their cruises? I don't know about you, but I see it a lot. I never have that problem.

Also, married women who eye a single woman traveling alone and think I'm after their husband. Yeah, I'm really interested in your 70 year old guy with the plaid shorts and striped top.

Also, married women who eye a single woman traveling alone and think I'm after their husband. Yeah, I'm really interested in your 70 year old guy with the plaid shorts and striped top.

Mmmm, 70 year old guy wearing plaid. Dibs!!

Edited by Intricatejewel