Is a 10:45am post cruise flight home possible?

sunshade

If it was a Saturday or Sunday I'd say that 10:45AM is a big risk. Arriving on a Thursday when the port isn't that busy would be much easier although still a little tight for my personal preferences. I'd opt for something later but your chances would be pretty good as long as you get off the ship early and as long as there isn't an unusual delay getting back into port.

Ft Lauderdale is the only port/airport where we would try it. Don't linger over one last breakfast with new friends while dreaming about the time you have had on ship. Grab your cases, hit the gangplank running, grab a cab, and you should be okie dokie:D

While it is definitely possible, it may not be recommended. We were at the airport by 8 AM last time in FLL -- even delayed a bit as the taxis weren't ready for us for some reason. The airport is very close to the port but if something happens, you may not make your flight.

Would I book a flight that early...you betcha!! But...could happen that you may miss it even though it is doubtful.

Thoughts on a 10:45am flight post cruise. We come in on a Thursday on the Constellation into Fort lauderdale and fly out of Lauderdale airport. Dont want to be stressed out re: catching flights.

It would depend if it's direct back to Canada as you need that 2 hour report time if you have luggage. I would not do it myself. We always wait until after lunch.

Edited by maritimer2

Just went in and out of Ft. lauderdale on Saturdays. Airport is crowded. Waited long times to get luggage checked, go through security, use a restroom, etc. gave up waiting to buy coffee. It was chaos. I had an 11:35 am flight. Celebrity was slow offloading the luggage. If you use luggage valet or carry your own bags, you may get to the airport faster.

OP,

It's doable BUT.....

Your best option is self disembarkation. You are totally responsible for your luggage from cabin to taxi. You must be able to maneuver your luggage down steps onboard if the elevators are full. You will also be directed to the elevator(s) in the terminal unless you can have one free hand to hold onto the escalator. I absolutely do not recommend anyone try to handle suitcases on an escalator.

FYI, luggage valet is not available for a flight that early.

Here are a few other tips...

Do fill out your disembarkation forms completely and accurately. If you have made any purchases that exceed your duty be prepared to spend about 20 minutes handling payment.

Keep all purchases and receipts in a handy place.

Do not wear any jewelry you purchased on the cruise.

Do not exceed allowances for liquor or cigarettes unless you are willing to pay the duty.

Do not take off any fruits, vegetables or meat from the ship.

Do not try to bring back illegal items like Cuban cigars or illegal drugs.

Use the ship's internet to check in for your airline. Pay any baggage fees, select your seats etc, at the 24 hour mark. You can print your boarding passes too.

Take a cab to the airport.

If you are flying Air Canada they are in the same small terminal with Delta with inferior TSA screening which could translate into longer lines, even on a Thursday.

You will have to disembark through the non US citizen line at the cruise terminal and have a passport check again at the airport. Be certain of your airline's check in policy. If the ship is scheduled to dock at 7 or later you should look for another flight. If you are flying to a US destination you have a better chance of making the flight.

Good luck.....

Before you book your air, especially if you have questions about schedules, connections etc. post on the Cruise Air Forum. Experienced flyers on that board can be enormously helpful

Having gone through the experience recently (and on a Saturday with 4 other ships in port), not only were we not crunched for time, we sat around picking our noses at the gate for the better part of an hour. And our flight left early, too! I would only suggest paying for the Celebrity transfer, as I think that got us into one of the first debarkation groups.

We got off the Constellation Saturday. Left our cabin at 8:30 and we were at our car 43 minutes later. In December, same ship same terminal but a Thursday, it took us 2 hours. I don't think there is a right answer.

You know your stress level, if you are going to worry your whole cruise, book a later flight.

Edited by Oville

Yesterday morning we handled our own luggage off the Constellation at 7:30am and got to gate at FLL at 7:55 for our 8:45am flight.

Now that's aggressive.

My hero!

Our 10:35 AM out of FLL off the Refection at the Port of Miami should be a lock.

Thoughts on a 10:45am flight post cruise. We come in on a Thursday on the Constellation into Fort lauderdale and fly out of Lauderdale airport. Dont want to be stressed out re: catching flights.

Yes it is possible; is it sensible - no. If you go that route make sure you have an affordable back up plan for later/next day. Otherwise stick to the midday or later flights.

Thanks for the comments! Think we will stick with an afternoon flight back home. We will have our 13 year old son with us so dont want to be stressed. If it were just the two of us (husband) I would have done the early flight!

I was fine catching a 10:45 out of FLL after disembarking reflection in MIA in November.

So FLL to FLL isn't gonna be a problem at all especially if you walk off at 7:30. Recommend taking a group van/shuttle than waiting for the slow taxi's to arrive however.

Just off Connie in FLL, we walked with our luggage at 9:00 Saturday morning, waited a while for taxi (line was about 25 minutes long) since we had time, and was at airport sitting at Chili's in the terminal by 10:30 for my noon flight.

I flew United out of FLL. I have noticed security in the terminal with US Air can be very backed up versus the United terminal, so factor that in if needed. US Air terminal was chaos, United terminal was quite pleasant. YMMV.

Our 10:35 AM out of FLL off the Refection at the Port of Miami should be a lock.

I did just this after My Nov. 30th reflection sailing. Took the X shuttle bus from MIA to FLL and had plenty of time to grab a breakfast sandwich and coffee at MIA while waiting for my flight.

I walked off at 7:30 as soon as I was able.

It is totally possible. We did this exact thing yesterday from the Silhouette for our 10:35am flight. You need to be able to carry your own luggage off the ship though. We were allowed to disembark at 7:15am and we were through ship security security, through customs and checked in at the Southwest counter at FLL by 8:00am. We were through airport security and at our gate by 8:20am.

Just make sure you are one of the first 15-20 people off the ship. We lined up at 6:45am and there were already a good 20-30 people in line.

We have done this same process the last three years with no issues.

What it the latest time you can get off the ship. Would like to take our time get breakfast if possible since we will be in no rush now to catch our flights.

If the embarkation goes quickly and smoothly then last person off could be as early as 9:30 or so. Flip side is that there have been cruises where we got off after 10 and had a group number that was no where near the last off.

Breakfast times usually end around 8AM - at least on Caribbean cruises.

Okay, I am not an expert on this, but I have been reading a lot of threads here. I might have missed it in this thread, but I did not notice that anyone mentioned to you an important fact that I have read about in other related threads.

Sometimes, for various reasons, debarkation may have to be delayed. If that happened to you with a tight schedule, then you would most certainly miss your flight.

My memory is not great but this stuck in my mind from another thread here: some unfortunate person passed away while on their cruise and because of this, everyone was delayed leaving the ship because certain procedures had to be followed first.

And I think that I may have read that there can also sometimes be unexpected delays due to customs as well.

If everything goes as usual, you will make it, but if not.....

We caught a 10:50 am flight from FLL to YYZ in December with time to spare, but that's not always the case. We did self disembarkation (aka hauled our luggage off the ship ourselves; not an issue as we pack light) and discovered in the process that even though the disembarkation docs say to meet in the MDR at 7:30 am many people show up there starting at 7:00 am, where you line up your luggage to hold your place in line to leave the ship. We just happened to be finished breakfast and went for 7:10 am, and so were amongst the first 100 or so people off the ship. We began leaving the ship at 7:30 am and we in a cab by 8:00 am. We had also checked in for our flights on line the day before, and had paid for our checked luggage, which made check-in at the airport go much more quickly.