Here's your hat; what's your hurry?

GottaLuvCruising

We were on Ruby recently and were surprised that the nozzle was removed from the dispenser. We did use it on board but it really wasn't very good. I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to take it away.

The plastic mat was put on the bed in the morning, and removed before we were ready to pack our suitcases.

Neither of these really bothered us, but we were on B2B, so it wasn't so close to the beginning of our cruise.

We were on the Jan. 18 Emerald sailing, and we were asked for disembarkation info a out midway through the cruise. The last day our excellent steward Jose didn't push us to get out of the cabin. I don't know about the shampoo etc. as we bring our own. We were going across the dock to the Ruby so we stayed in HC until we left.

On the Ruby we got the disembarkation questionnaire on the first evening, and it had to be turned in on Sunday, the first full day. As for the last day, even our terrible steward Roberlito didn't push us out of the cabin or take things away early. He did put the luggage pad out in the late a.m. when he cleaned the cabin. But we just folded it up and out it under the bed until we were ready to pack.

I'd be pretty annoyed if the steward took away things I was still using from toiletries to tv info. We always tip extra for a good steward, which is 99% of the time-- we'd be taking $ out of the envelope for getting "pushed".

Edited by FritzG

Last cruise we had a couple sitting in the Atrium the very last night wanting to know if they put their luggage out the next morning and what time they had to leave the cabin. Even with all the advance warning not everyone is as savvy as Cruise Critic members. After we told them that luggage should already be in the hallway boy did they make a B line to their cabin. Kind of funny. :)

OP - I think you had an over-eager room attendant.

But I'll tell you, when they say 8, they mean 8. My sister and I were running a little behind, but we were picking up our handbags at 7:59...or maybe it was 8:01 - and an officer came knocking on the door to make sure we were ready to go.

Maddle

Many of us do not want to think of a cruise ending,but being informed ahead of time about disembarkation helps with the transition.

We have never felt rushed by a steward on Princess.

We did notice on a Celebrity cruise , the steward had put the linen to change the bed for the new occupants in our cabin the day before disembarkation.

I took that as his way of being organized for turnaround day.

The stewards on Princess seem to have more cabins assigned to them than on cruises in the past few years.

Recently on the Crown , we had an efficent steward, but he did not seem to have extra time to chat as past stewards had done.

He said he had nineteen cabins under his care. That seemed a lot to me.

We always try to leave a neat cabin.

I usually make sure the hangers are in the same direction

and I seperate the clip hangers and regular hanges on the rod in the closet.

Maybe a bit much,but I think it may help somewhat.

Thoughtfulness on both the stewards' and the passengers' parts can help add to tbe enjoyment of a cruise.

This is a saying my Mom used (so therefore, I now use it) when people are being encouraged to leave.

We disembarked Ruby Princess this morning. We had a nice long weekend with lots of reading and relaxing on our balcony, good food & shows and a fun day in Cozumel.

But we were surprised to have disembarkation information in our mailbox exactly halfway through the cruise and with almost two days still to enjoy. I just want to enjoy my cruise and don't want to think about it ending.

Then Sunday / yesterday morning, stateroom attendant put the luggage mat on our bed. Like I still have 24 hours to enjoy, meals to eat, books to read, balcony to be enjoyed, a show to see, movie to watch on deck, a nap to take. I am not packing now.

Last night we got back to our stateroom to find that attendant had filled the shower gel / shampoo bottles, but took / removed the dispenser nozzle. We always shower before bed and fortunately did have a bar of soap on the sink.

Got into bed and found that stateroom attendant had also removed our TV schedule. Hubby ran down to guest services to retrieve another.

This morning we had to be out of our stateroom by 8am (per the dreaded paperwork that we reluctantly brought in from the mailbox). But just to be certain, our stateroom attendant had circled the time in ink.

This was my 36th cruise, but only 4th on Princess. Is this typical? Would you have found it annoying?

It's not unusual to get the disembarkation paperwork early on. On our Jan 9th cruise, we actually got it on the sea day, which surprised me because it was the last day of the cruise. On some long TA's, we have gotten it only a week into a two week cruise.

But we had exact same experience with all the things being removed on the last sea day. Our steward also removed the white tray that sits atop the refrigerator. He also moved over some of our things on the closet shelf in order to make room for the sheets and towels for the next passengers.

I was not happy at all being treated like this and I let them know it. It took 3 phone calls, a personal visit to Pass Svcs and more than an hour to get someone to respond to my complaints and resolve them. White waiting, I dumped out the contents of the uncapped shampoo bottle - just to make a point of how I object to their new policies and procedures. They put everything back in the cabin and removed the packing mat.

Edited by tothemall&beyond

OP - I think you had an over-eager room attendant.

But I'll tell you, when they say 8, they mean 8. My sister and I were running a little behind, but we were picking up our handbags at 7:59...or maybe it was 8:01 - and an officer came knocking on the door to make sure we were ready to go.

Maddle

Not just their cabin attendant. It seems to be a new policy on the short cruises on the Ruby. Happened to us, too.

NewPennCruiser writes: “But we were told that the Stewards were told to do this until the bottles are fixed in the shower holders so that people don't take them.”

Loonbeam writes: “I don't think the nozzle issue was related to disembarkation. They have to be pulled for sanitation once per week or so, that was most likely the day. The protocol is to replace with clean nozzles, maybe they just didn't have enough or the procedure is not quite settled in yet.”

Bucky 3 writes: “I suppose Princess will get the soap dispenser problems solved asap. Sad to think people would actually steal them if not firmly attached. We bring our own soap and shampoo, so this doesn't affect us.”

Our cabin steward told us it is done in between every cruise, for sanitization purposes. Don't know if that's the reason or it's to prevent them being taken, but, in either case, these communal bottles are awful!

I have a solution: I am always going to dump out the contents of the bottle on the last day of my cruise. I hope others will do the same. Maybe Princess will get the hint about how bad these bottles are, and how the policies they precipitate are also unwelcomed, and will go back to little, non-communal bottles. Even a cheap hotel gives you your own personal shampoo bottles and soap.

I've also heard stories (from ship Captains no less) of people who were found still asleep in their rooms after their scheduled disembarkation times while trying to zero out the ship (apparently the really short cruises are notorious for this type of thing.)

But we had exact same experience with all the things being removed on the last sea day.

I was not happy at all being treated like this and I let them know it. It took 3 phone calls, a personal visit to Pass Svcs and more than an hour to get someone to respond to my complaints and resolve them. White waiting, I dumped out the contents of the uncapped shampoo bottle - just to make a point of how I object to their new policies and procedures. They put everything back in the cabin and removed the packing mat.

You invested an hour? and You dumped out the shampoo bottle? This seems extreme - did they get the message? and did they come back and put the pump on the empty bottle?

I think the packing mat is stored somewhere in the cabin - couldn't you just roll it up and put it under the bed while you were waiting for your tray and shampoo pump to be returned?

It's not unusual to get the disembarkation paperwork early on. On our Jan 9th cruise, we actually got it on the sea day, which surprised me because it was the last day of the cruise. On some long TA's, we have gotten it only a week into a two week cruise.

But we had exact same experience with all the things being removed on the last sea day. Our steward also removed the white tray that sits atop the refrigerator. He also moved over some of our things on the closet shelf in order to make room for the sheets and towels for the next passengers.

Wow now that was real mature! Great example for out kids.....

Put me in the column with those who want to go to their cabins upon boarding. And if that means being ready to leave the last day, it's something to accept.

We've been trying to do longer cruises (meaning two week ones) and I think we got the disembarkation info and form to fill out (if we need an earlier time -- but we have never asked for that as we're either going an hour's drive to home or we've allowed for a post-cruise stay). I'm guessing that many people will request an earlier disembarkation time so giving you the form earlier in the cruise allows the passenger services desk time to sort things out.

The new dispensers weren't on our 2012/13 cruise so didn't deal with nozzle or no nozzle issues. Our little packages of toiletries were still in the cabin the last morning for our last shower on board. But as long as there's soap, that's fine.

We do understand that packing needs to be done the day before. It is sad as that means the vacation is coming to a close. Our problem is that often when we look out at the hallway, it's already filled with others' bags. So we have to wait until the porters take care of those so we can finally put ours out.

I certainly wouldn't pour out shampoo in spite. Sounds a bit immature to me. Those stewards are very busy on turn around day. Why add to that by making a mess?

On our recent cruise on the Caribbean Princess, we returned to our room on the last night and were going to have a coke before bed. We discovered that the ice bucket, glasses and the tray that they had been sitting on had been removed from the room!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You invested an hour? and You dumped out the shampoo bottle? This seems extreme - did they get the message? and did they come back and put the pump on the empty bottle?

I think the packing mat is stored somewhere in the cabin - couldn't you just roll it up and put it under the bed while you were waiting for your tray and shampoo pump to be returned?

I was really displeased that a full 24 hrs. before disembarkation, my cabin was being emptied of amenities. I called Pass Svcs and they said someone "would be right there straight away". 20 minutes passed and no one came. I called again. Same verbal response but lack of physical presence. Waited another 20 minutes and called a third time. Same thing. So I went to Pass Svcs and then they finally had a supervisor meet me in the cabin. That's how more than an hour passed.

My actions in dumping the bottle were not extreme at all. The health hazard Princess is creating by leaving bottles uncapped for 24 hours is what is extreme.

BTW, they didn't re-cap my bottle. They had to replace it. I had tossed the first one in the trash after I emptied it.

Sorry, but it's not my job to roll up the luggage mat that shouldn't have been put out so early. It wasn't even noon yet!

Our steward told us he took the white beverage tray to sanitize it for the next passenger. Were we not supposed to use the water or wine glasses that last day and night?

Put me in the column with those who want to go to their cabins upon boarding. And if that means being ready to leave the last day' date=' it's something to accept.

We've been trying to do longer cruises (meaning two week ones) and I think we got the disembarkation info and form to fill out (if we need an earlier time -- but we have never asked for that as we're either going an hour's drive to home or we've allowed for a post-cruise stay). I'm guessing that many people will request an earlier disembarkation time so giving you the form earlier in the cruise allows the passenger services desk time to sort things out.

The new dispensers weren't on our 2012/13 cruise so didn't deal with nozzle or no nozzle issues. Our little packages of toiletries were still in the cabin the last morning for our last shower on board. But as long as there's soap, that's fine.

We do understand that packing needs to be done the day before. It is sad as that means the vacation is coming to a close. Our problem is that often when we look out at the hallway, it's already filled with others' bags. So we have to wait until the porters take care of those so we can finally put ours out.

[b']I certainly wouldn't pour out shampoo in spite. Sounds a bit immature to me. Those stewards are very busy on turn around day. Why add to that by making a mess[/b]?

Not spiteful nor immature. Nor was any mess created by pouring shampoo down a sink drain. Sorry - but I don't care about how busy the stewards are on turn-around day. If I pay for a 5 night cruise, I am entitled to enjoy my cabin for 5 nights and 4 days, not 4 nights and 3 days. Princess will keep cutting corners with staff and passenger amenities only if we allow them to do so.

To those who think my actions were immature, or a bad example -- do you know how many ecoli bacteria, norovirus germs, etc. are propelled (forcefully, too) when any toilet, but especially a cruise ship toilet, is flushed? And, if you're being honest, I know that most of us do not close that lid for every flush. Where do you think those germs go when they settle? How about an uncapped bottle that sits less only 1 to 2 feet away? I'm not being petty here folks. These reusable bottles are a bad idea to begin with - but leaving them uncapped for 24 hours is downright reckless and negligent.

To those who think my actions were immature, or a bad example -- do you know how many ecoli bacteria, norovirus germs, etc. are propelled (forcefully, too) when any toilet, but especially a cruise ship toilet, is flushed? And, if you're being honest, I know that most of us do not close that lid for every flush. Where do you think those germs go when they settle? How about an uncapped bottle that sits less only 1 to 2 feet away? I'm not being petty here folks. These reusable bottles are a bad idea to begin with - but leaving them uncapped for 24 hours is downright reckless and negligent.

Ummm, I may be wrong but I didn't think the vacuum toilets flushed properly if you didn't close the lid??? So, yes I DO close the lid for every flush.

Ummm, I may be wrong but I didn't think the vacuum toilets flushed properly if you didn't close the lid??? So, yes I DO close the lid for every flush.

That's what I thought too.

I still don't see what was accomplished by dumping the shampoo - couldn't you just remove it from the bathroom if you were concerned? Assuming you found it before you flushed? and why toss the bottle?

But - I think that tothemall&beyond has a valid point - if I paid for 5 days/4nights, I should have the room for that amount of time. I would be mad if my things were pushed aside or amenities were removed from my stateroom, especially the tray, glassware, etc.

We could have and considered just pouring shower gel from the bottle. But we were made to feel that he had filled our dispensers for the next guest. It was our room and the nozzles should not have been removed. Now that we know it was not an error, we will call steward for soap or gel as a matter of principle.
We have not sailed on a ship with the new soap arrangement, but every other cruise the steward left us our in-use soaps, shampoo, etc. while they loaded a new set, placing it out of the way. In some cases they did take the seashell holder, but that's no big deal.

However, if they take the bathroom amenities we need for evening and morning use, the steward will be getting a page from us to provide new ones.

The wife and I do everything possible to assist the cabin steward the last day even if it means a little personal inconvience. We are always out of the room early and make sure we tidy up as much as possible. Turn around day is very busy for these folks and any little bit we can do assists them. I appreciate my cabin being made up when I board and I'm certain those that follow behind us do as well.

Would you have found it annoying?

I find nearly every aspect of the current short cruises from Ft. Lauderdale annoying. Lots of vacation time used vs. length of cruise. Sometimes as few as one port. Move out almost as soon as you move in. etc. My summary: Why bother?

Last night we got back to our stateroom to find that attendant had filled the shower gel / shampoo bottles, but took / removed the dispenser nozzle. We always shower before bed and fortunately did have a bar of soap on the sink.

Interesting! We just did the ruby and last day evening before same thing with the shampoo nozzle. However, we weren't using it to begin with and we thought we somehow lost the nozzle!! I actually went looking for our room steward to tell him I was sorry! It was sitting on the counter open and I found that so odd.

Now in retrospect - yes, it is too soon to do that to guests. Glad I am informed at least that this is protocol.

I find nearly every aspect of the current short cruises from Ft. Lauderdale annoying. Lots of vacation time used vs. length of cruise. Sometimes as few as one port. Move out almost as soon as you move in. etc. My summary: Why bother?

Royal Caribbean and Carnival have been successfully doing the short cruises for years and Princess just wanted to tap into that market. Probably most of the passengers live within driving distance to the port.

Remaining to be seen is how successful Princess will be at doing that. One problem has been that most of the Princess short cruises are not organized around a weekend and thus rerquire more vacation time to take them.

Dumping shampoo etc. in the drains IS immature, and it could cause oversudsing in the plumbing system inconveniencing everyone.

So far nobody has posted that the soap and shampoo in the shower containers produce any noticeable amount of suds.