Princess Turn On The Pool Heater !

PE Cruisers

Just back from a wonderful 4 day cruise on the Ruby.For our 5th Princess Cruise in a row the pool was COLD.We are pool people & sit out at least 7 hours a day and when we get hot we like to go in pool to cool off.,NOT FREEZE !Although the pool deck was filled I saw a total 5 people in the main pool the entire cruise.No one would sign up for pool games or water volley ball because of the water temperature.I saw a family with 2 children who were all excited to go in the pool end up with the kids crying because it was too cold to go in.We've been on NCL & RCI and the pools are always comfortable.I can't see how it would cost that much to heat the pools !

Did you notice the pool temps on your television?

It doesn't cost extra to heat the pools as they are heated using excess heat generated by the engines. According to what we were told on a tour of the bridge.

Mike:)

Did you notice the pool temps on your television?

It doesn't cost extra to heat the pools as they are heated using excess heat generated by the engines. According to what we were told on a tour of the bridge.

They had the screen on TV,but no temps this cruise.In Nov. on the Emerald it always showed 80,but it never felt that warm.

• 2 weeks later...
They had the screen on TV,but no temps this cruise.In Nov. on the Emerald it always showed 80,but it never felt that warm.

With your body temperature at 96, 80 is a bit cool. When I dive in 80 degree water, I wear a light wet suit to stay warm. At home we don't start using the pool until it has gone above 80. Those accustomed to colder climes however seem to enjoy the cold water.

We were on the 1/27 sailing of the Ruby. The pools were cold when we arrived. We tried them all. Being from Massachusetts, we are accustomed to swimming in water that is chilly. Still didn't want to linger for long in the pools.

I spoke with a fellow passenger at the Solarium pool. He was on the second leg of his B/B cruise. He told me that he had spoken to guest services 3 times about the pool temps. on the first leg of his cruise. Nothing was done as far as he could tell. Pools were as cold as the first leg of his cruise.

Pool temps were noted on my customer satisfaction survey.

Assuming something was doable, passenger services should have at least explained why not (or sent someone to do so). I do hate the stock "we'll look into that' response you get sometimes, which is what I assume they got.

I'm not sure who else would be good to speak to? The CD?

We were on the 1/27 sailing of the Ruby. The pools were cold when we arrived. We tried them all. Being from Massachusetts, we are accustomed to swimming in water that is chilly. Still didn't want to linger for long in the pools.

I spoke with a fellow passenger at the Solarium pool. He was on the second leg of his B/B cruise. He told me that he had spoken to guest services 3 times about the pool temps. on the first leg of his cruise. Nothing was done as far as he could tell. Pools were as cold as the first leg of his cruise.

Pool temps were noted on my customer satisfaction survey.

We've noticed the same problem with the "hot" tubs. None of the ones we've been in has truly been hot. On one cruise we tried the spa hot tubs. Each day we complained at the spa front desk. The next day each tub was slightly warmer. Experience repeated each day.

According to info we were told on the ship's tour a few cruises back the pools are heated via a heat exchanger which basically uses excess heat generated by the engines to warm the pools.

Passenger services says they are aware of the situation and blah, blah,

I would suggest those of you on Facebook ask Princess on their page where they are generally more responsive why the sudden change on pool heat.

Pools on Princess have been heated for at least the last 9 years or so, since I have been cruising.

I think the most people we have seen in ANY of the pools for the last 9 days is 4 at any one time.:eek:

This is correct on most ships. I think the smaller ones don't have this system.

Even if the system is down,they should just say that (all it takes is a bad pump or valve and those usually need the pool drained for quite a while to fix)...

According to info we were told on the ship's tour a few cruises back the pools are heated via a heat exchanger which basically uses excess heat generated by the engines to warm the pools.

Passenger services says they are aware of the situation and blah, blah,

I would suggest those of you on Facebook ask Princess on their page where they are generally more responsive why the sudden change on pool heat.

Pools on Princess have been heated for at least the last 9 years or so, since I have been cruising.

I think the most people we have seen in ANY of the pools for the last 9 days is 4 at any one time.:eek:

I hope Princess does not use that to decide there is no need to put pools on a ship anymore because hardly anybody uses them.

On our last Caribbean Princess cruise one hot tub was much colder than the others (less than 80). Asked pool attendant and he said that some people had complained all the tubs were too hot....

Santuary pool was REALLY cold - they had to empty it due to slopping into the spa area and when they refilled it it never got warm again. And due to rough weather they eventually emptied it and did painting in the area for the rest of the cruise.

On our last Caribbean Princess cruise one hot tub was much colder than the others (less than 80). Asked pool attendant and he said that some people had complained all the tubs were too hot....

Apparently some people don;t understand the definition of "hot". The attendant should have told them to try the pools.

I've been on the Sapphire Princess three times in the past 12 months, each time sailing out of California in fairly cool weather. I was so impressed with the temperature of the pools...even though they could have been slightly warmer, they were definitely heated and very swim-able. And, almost all the hot tubs we tried were pretty hot too. After a bunch of Carnival and Royal Caribbean cruises with very cold pools (and yuck saltwater), we were so impressed with Princess and the Sapphire for having crystal clear, warm freshwater pools. I sure hope this report of cold pools is a one time thing.

I also agree Princess hot tubs are never more than luke warm at best. Last year on the Diamond I spoke with the deck person that's responsible for testing the chlorine content and temperature. He said the computer system gives engineering a read-out of all the pool and hot tub temperatures. In fact, you can see this information on your cabin TV.

He claimed the system showed that particular hot tub at 36 Celsius (About 98 degrees). I told him my wife and I enjoy our hot tub at home all the time and keep it set at 98 degrees and this hot tub is no where near that warm. He came back moments later with a handheld thermometer and confirmed it was only 33 Celsius. (Only 92 degrees and quite chilly for a hot tub)

At that point he said he'd have it warmed up, but throughout the voyage it never increased in temperature.

I just don't think they really care - it seems trivial to them

Or their computer system needs to be recalibrated and perhaps loses its accuracy over time.

Edited by Scotto97