Room service menu

Kj9395

I was wondering what types of food you can order for dinner from room service. Do they have hot entrees or is it mostly sandwiches and salads. My sister and I are going on our first cruise, which is very port intensive, so I could see us wanting to just stay in the room on a couple of evenings.

We were also curious to know how long it takes to have a quick breakfast and get off the ship to meet for a tour? We will be on the Ruby Princess. I would think everything would be packed with everyone trying to get an early start.

Room service is mainly salads and sandwiches. You can order a pizza for $3.

On early tour days I have breakfast in my cabin. You put a card on your door the night before with your order and the time you want it delivered. I use it as my wake up call. They have never been late and many times they come a little early.

Does anyone know if you can order any specialty salads from room service? Does the mdr have a salad bar like on RCCL?

Thanks

The MDR's on Princess do not have a salad bar. The Horizon Court Buffet does have an extensive one, however.

(BTW, is a salad bar on RCCL ships new? I don't recall seeing one last time we sailed with them in 2009.)

Does anyone know if you can order any specialty salads from room service? Does the mdr have a salad bar like on RCCL?

Thanks

I really like Princess but I have to say my salad from room service was not very good. It was supposed to have a hard-boiled egg but it had olives. I'm not a fan of olives :)

The MDR is very good but it does not have a salad bar like you find on RCCL. I remember that salad bar, it was wonderful! One of my favorite things in the MDR on Princess is the Watermelon with feta. I usually order another one for dessert. It's that good!

The lasagna is good.....at least we think so:D
Maybe it was just my cruise, but I was disappointed with the lasagna. I'm used to layered lasagna with a cheese and meat mix in between. What I got from room service looked more like a runny soup. Here's a photo of the room service lasagna I got:

5684397965_88e56e616a_z.jpg

Golden Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

Maybe it was just my cruise, but I was disappointed with the lasagna. I'm used to layered lasagna with a cheese and meat mix in between. What I got from room service looked more like a runny soup. Here's a photo of the room service lasagna I got:

5684397965_88e56e616a_z.jpg

Golden Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

That looks really bad! Not what one would expect based on the menu description.

Think I am going to miss the wonderful room service salads that I would take back to the pool. Also the salad bar in the mdr on RCCL. Oh well, I am sure I will find excellent things on the Princess too.:) Don't think I will be ordering the lasagna though:(!

Think I am going to miss the wonderful room service salads that I would take back to the pool. Also the salad bar in the mdr on RCCL. Oh well, I am sure I will find excellent things on the Princess too.:) Don't think I will be ordering the lasagna though:(!

If you don't feel like going to the MDR, you have a couple of options beyond room service.

You can go to the buffet, if you don't feel like eating there, you can make a plate for each of you and take it back to your cabin. We sometimes do this, we keep covers from our breakfast room service meal, to cover our plates when we bring them back from the buffet. You can also order drinks, salad from room service and just pick up a hot food item from the buffet.

We often do this late after noon, order coffee, salad from room service and then get a plate from the buffet. Princess has the buffet open 24 hours. Then we skip the MDR, go out and enjoy the entertainment on board in the evening.

If we are in port, we can even have our lunch/meal on the balcony weather permitting.

We often do this late after noon, order coffee, salad from room service and then get a plate from the buffet. Princess has the buffet open 24 hours. Then we skip the MDR, go out and enjoy the entertainment on board in the evening.

Princess has not had the buffet open 24 hours since 2011. We were on the LAST Golden sailing with the 24 hour buffet. My teens loved it! After we got back, we heard they were starting to close it at 11 PM. Hoping to take the teens again this year and they will miss the buffet at 2 AM. The International Cafe is now open 24 hours, but it's just not as appealing to teens.

Isn't that about the same as the Horizon Court salad bar?

Horizon Court is nothing like the salad area in RCCL's MDR. They have top of the line items, including seafood. They have so many items to choose from. They ask you what you want, you tell them, they serve you and then they toss the the salad with the dressing. I've yet to see any other cruise line come close. Wonderful.

Horizon Court is nothing like the salad area in RCCL's MDR. They have top of the line items, including seafood. They have so many items to choose from. They ask you what you want, you tell them, they serve you and then they toss the the salad with the dressing. I've yet to see any other cruise line come close. Wonderful.

You haven't really been paying attention, then. There is always seafood in the HC -- just because it's not on the same counter as the lettuce doesn't mean you can't put it in your salad. That's why the HC is superior to what's shown in the photo: you can build your salad from any- and everything on the buffet.

And I don't need someone else to make my salad and toss it for me (especially since chefs/waiters almost always over-dress salad); the RC way sounds like a tremendous time-waster at lunch when you just want to grab a salad, eat, and get back outside to the sun.