New Larger Ship in Galveston

A pain in the neck and in the butt, times two.

Drove a limo to port for over 10 years and have cruised out of Galveston many times. I've seen the cruisers side of things and I've seen the the business side of things and it's not a pretty picture.

Once you cruise out of Florida you realize just how messed up Galveston is.

Cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale in November and it was an absolute nightmare. I thought it might be normal since I hadn't been to that one before but veteran cruisers from there said they had never seen it that bad. Galveston was a dream compared to that mess. There was even a sign, that they wouldn't let me take a pic of, stating boarding time will be longer due to government cutbacks. That made everything much more understandable. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale in November and it was an absolute nightmare. I thought it might be normal since I hadn't been to that one before but veteran cruisers from there said they had never seen it that bad. Galveston was a dream compared to that mess. There was even a sign, that they wouldn't let me take a pic of, stating boarding time will be longer due to government cutbacks. That made everything much more understandable. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have cruised out of Galveston twice now and probably won't try it again. The nice part of Galveston for us is the direct flight to Houston. But, the cost and time it takes to get to Galveston vs. Florida makes Florida a easier departure. Also, we like to arrive early and rent a car which is expensive in Texas and also there are no open Rental car agencies in Galveston on Sundays. The kicker this year was the Fog issues and delays associated with Galveston which is not an issue in Florida. Customs was quick, but I think the fact we could not dock till 2:30pm vs. 6:00am they were being very kind and quick.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

In case anyone is interested. We talked to Nadja, the DL concierge on the 02/23/14 Navigator cruise regarding the new ship in Galveston.

She confirmed that Indy is coming to Galveston, but no date yet. There is a debate whether to send Indy to Europe for a short time before Galveston. Kinda like what Carnival did with Magic.

That would make sense since Galveston Port is supposed to do a major upgrade to terminal 2. This would give them time to do the upgrade before a larger ship came to port.

I believe Indy's Caribbean schedules are already posted for next season, and she is sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale. Freedom's schedule is also posted and she remains in Pt. Canaveral. Liberty's next season Caribbean schedule is not posted. So she may be the one coming to Galveston.