New Larger Ship in Galveston

Celebrity used to sail a partial transit out of Galveston years ago.

Perhaps RCI is positioning itself for future trans canal cruises:D

That would be so good for Texas and the Gulf Coast:)

I recall that...scary how far back I recall some of the ships that were here.

That would make driving to South America a bit more difficult. Besides it a nice looking bridge. Now the Pelican Island Bridge, improve it perhaps instead.

There are plans and considerations for that!

Edited by ssb

There are plans and considerations for that!

guessing you mean plans on a new Pelican island bridge...that would be great! When we get our place either near Tiechman road, on Tiki, or by the airport, I want enough clearance to buzz down under the bridge (in a boat to be clear to all) to dock and eat by pier 21.

I don't think that will help. Freedom is 184' wide. The new locks are only supposed to be 180' wide. I'm not sure if the 184' is at the waterline, but if so it isn't going to fit.

FOS is about 127 at the waterline

guessing you mean plans on a new Pelican island bridge...that would be great! When we get our place either near Tiechman road, on Tiki, or by the airport, I want enough clearance to buzz down under the bridge (in a boat to be clear to all) to dock and eat by pier 21.

Sounds like a good plan for pier 21 for sure.

How big or tall a boat are you thinking of.

Also

There is a new upscale restaurant on offits bayou

Called Thirteen that is great and at a new marina for the big boats!

It looks south towards moody gardens with great views day or night.

Edited by ssb

Hi, Pete and Gina, it's good to see your names.

Someone who lives in Galveston or Houston confirmed that there was an article in the newspaper. The Port/City of Galveston signed an agreement to be sailing

a RC ship "larger than the Voyager" out of Galveston for 5 years. The terminal is supposed to be doubled in size, and the ship channel will be (or already

is) large & deep enough to accommodate the Oasis Class. So, what was a rumor is now true, but the ship to come to Galveston after Navi. hasn't been made

public. The Navi. is scheduled to be in Galveston until the end of April 2015.

Cruzin Lady. Aka Carolynn

My parents were told just last week by an RCI rep that this is exactly what Royal has planned beginning either next year or 2016 (can't remember which). They plan to add and alternate longer 10 to 14 day cruises to enable them to hit the southern Caribbean and possibly a partial transit of the Panama Canal.

This would be so awesome. I think a partial transit cruise would be so fun.

Now all they need to do is figure out a convenient and affordable way to get people from the airport to Galveston if they're not flying in the day of the cruise, and figure out how to let people rent or return rental cars in Galveston on the weekend.

Compared to Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, or Boston, sailing out of Galveston is a pain in the neck.

Now all they need to do is figure out a convenient and affordable way to get people from the airport to Galveston if they're not flying in the day of the cruise, and figure out how to let people rent or return rental cars in Galveston on the weekend.

Compared to Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, or Boston, sailing out of Galveston is a pain in the neck.

Exactly. It's an attractive port for those within driving distance. For the rest of us, between the fog and distance from airports, its not.

I would like to try sailing out of Galveston sometime because I like the Roatan itinerary and would love being on a ship full of Texans, but it just seems like a massive hassle between the drive to Houston and the horror stories about the port.

Hi, Pete and Gina, it's good to see your names.

Someone who lives in Galveston or Houston confirmed that there was an article in the newspaper. The Port/City of Galveston signed an agreement to be sailing

a RC ship "larger than the Voyager" out of Galveston for 5 years...

Cruzin Lady. Aka Carolynn

Hey there Carolynn! Hope you guys are doing well! Yes, I had read that and like I said, we had heard several months ago from some shop owners we have come to know on the Strand that the deal was in the works. Will be interesting to see what ship Royal decides to reposition to home port in Galveston! My big hope is for some new itineraries. One can only go so many times to all the same places before it loses its sense of adventure. We would love to see some 10 day or longer Southern or Eastern Caribbean cruises just to shake things up.

And right you are! Fortunately, we are one of those that can drive to Galveston...even though it's an 8.5 hour trip. I am surprised by the fact that there is not a car rental drop off that is open daily at or near the cruise terminal in Galveston. This seems like a "no brainer" to me! While there are private van and limo services, the distance to the airports is considerable (especially Bush International). Hey, Hertz or Avis or Dollar or Enterprise or Budget or Frank's Rent A Wreck, if you read this, you're missing out on some revenue!

And right you are! Fortunately, we are one of those that can drive to Galveston...even though it's an 8.5 hour trip. I am surprised by the fact that there is not a car rental drop off that is open daily at or near the cruise terminal in Galveston. This seems like a "no brainer" to me! While there are private van and limo services, the distance to the airports is considerable (especially Bush International). Hey, Hertz or Avis or Dollar or Enterprise or Budget or Frank's Rent A Wreck, if you read this, you're missing out on some revenue!

We, in Galveston, agree 100%.

Enterprise is a franchise and seems to not be conducive to open on Sunday.

Hertz did not re-open after Ike in 2008.

The others seem oblivious to the need on the island.

I have strongly urged a letter writing campaign to the rental agencies from those who cruise out of Galveston.

Realize it a is a major investment with having to move vehicles from the city to airports and back again. Most would drop off cars after arriving cruisers would want to rent a car. Logistics would have to be worked on to make it financially feasible.

A pain in the neck and in the butt, times two.

Drove a limo to port for over 10 years and have cruised out of Galveston many times. I've seen the cruisers side of things and I've seen the the business side of things and it's not a pretty picture.

Once you cruise out of Florida you realize just how messed up Galveston is.

We, in Galveston, agree 100%.

Enterprise is a franchise and seems to not be conducive to open on Sunday.

Hertz did not re-open after Ike in 2008.

The others seem oblivious to the need on the island.

I have strongly urged a letter writing campaign to the rental agencies from those who cruise out of Galveston.

Realize it a is a major investment with having to move vehicles from the city to airports and back again. Most would drop off cars after arriving cruisers would want to rent a car. Logistics would have to be worked on to make it financially feasible.

On the 2011 TA bringing Mariner to Galveston enough people rented from Hertz in Texas City that they set up a table with all the paperwork and had moved all the cars to Galveston port parking lot. Of course that was a Friday but if the demand was there and predictable maybe someone will take the hint.

In our case we had a one way rental to drive home, much much cheaper than SW Airlines:D

A pain in the neck and in the butt, times two.

Drove a limo to port for over 10 years and have cruised out of Galveston many times. I've seen the cruisers side of things and I've seen the the business side of things and it's not a pretty picture.

Once you cruise out of Florida you realize just how messed up Galveston is.

Don't blame the City, it is private business that controls what they will and won't due.

Galveston is not the only port City where the cost of getting from the airport to the port is expensive. If one has sailed out of Europe, the costs are much higher.

Unfortunately we have become a generation of "I want it now and I want it my way!"

The two cruise terminals in Galveston need SEPARATE entrances, one for Royal Caribbean, one for Carnival. Funneling all traffic through one stoplight with one left turn lane is beyond crazy. Sure, bigger better terminals and deeper ports are great, but they need to streamline the whole process, especially the traffic situation.

I agree! Hopefully this problem will be resolved when the construction is finished!

Sounds like good news. :cool:

As far as the transportation issue to the port for those flying in, I think it would be a good idea for Royal Caribbean and Carnival to team up and help fund a commuter rail from Houston. Of course, transit agencies would have to fund the majority of it from taxes, and it would have to be used for more than just cruise passengers to get decent revenue from fares (think along the lines of daily commuters).

Sounds like a good plan for pier 21 for sure.

How big or tall a boat are you thinking of.

Also

There is a new upscale restaurant on offits bayou

Called Thirteen that is great and at a new marina for the big boats!

It looks south towards moody gardens with great views day or night.

Ideally a nice offshore fishing cruiser. Flying Bridge. Etc. but may be forced to go with ski boat style for first couple years.

Ideally a nice offshore fishing cruiser. Flying Bridge. Etc. but may be forced to go with ski boat style for first couple years.

Ok that explains your height requirement on bridge.

A nice plan in your life for sure! :)