New Larger Ship in Galveston

I do believe my friends and family in Alaska would claim that as an Alaskan size ship.

Good one Dave! ;). I could get use to any size ship year round in Galveston if the price is right. The Radiance class and Oasis class are really proud of their cabins. $$$$

A freedom class ship would be great. I hope the year-round Navigator OTS experiment works so RCI stays year-round in Galveston. I'd like for Celebrity to return to Galveston also. Also, I miss the 4 & 5 day sailings that the Splendour OTS used to do from Galveston. One reason: It is much easier to get a church group to go on a Monday to Saturday sailing -- no missing any Sunday church service. Yes, the Carnival Triumph does this, but Carnival is not RCI.

Edited by Jimnbigd

Also, I miss the 4 & 5 day sailings that the Splendour OTS used to do from Galveston.

I'm just the opposite, I wished they do longer cruises out of Galveston. More of a Eastern or Southern Caribbean itinerary every once in a while. They could pair it with a shorter 4 day and do a 10 day then go back to 7 day.

A second ship that provides a mix of 4, 5, 10, 11 night cruises would be great. That would give something for everyone more or less.

With tons of cargo ships going to Panama Canal out of Houston/Galveston why not a cruise ship that goes down takes a spin in the lake and heads back. Do that once or twice a quarter mix in other unique voyages and attract more cruisers.

A second ship that provides a mix of 4, 5, 10, 11 night cruises would be great. That would give something for everyone more or less.

With tons of cargo ships going to Panama Canal out of Houston/Galveston why not a cruise ship that goes down takes a spin in the lake and heads back. Do that once or twice a quarter mix in other unique voyages and attract more cruisers.

I think that would be a great Idea

Celebrity used to sail a partial transit out of Galveston years ago.

Perhaps RCI is positioning itself for future trans canal cruises:D

That would be so good for Texas and the Gulf Coast:)

Celebrity used to sail a partial transit out of Galveston years ago.

Perhaps RCI is positioning itself for future trans canal cruises:D

That would be so good for Texas and the Gulf Coast:)

Would a Freedom class ship be able to get through the canal?

I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up because that would be awesome!

Would a Freedom class ship be able to get through the canal?

I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up because that would be awesome!

That's a yes and no answer. The Freedom will fit through the new expansion locks and now the but! The Bridge of Americas maybe a limiting factor, right now the max air draft that is allowed is 205' depending on the tide. I read somewhere that Freedom's air draft is 208' so I have no idea how easily any modifications can be made to the ship to get to the 205' mark or even if they want to make the modifications.

I would also hope that, along with a larger terminal, that there will be adequate staff for it. It seems to me that the disembarkation process in the RC terminal is always soooo much slower than the disembarkation in the Carnival terminal. Been told several times it's due to fewer CBP Officers to staff the check stations. Don't know how true that is, but I've been through both terminals several times and the Royal side always is S-L-O-W.

Appears area is before Ferry landing

after drilling rig museum, after Dole, along side out of and after Marina.

Where Magic turned I not sure exactly.

But it looks very positive and

there is plenty of room already there in a long span of the channel.:)

Only question is depth and width and any dredging

that would be needed and where (if any, if any)?

The depth and width of minumum channel is already there

for any of larger RCCL ships.

Comparison of Class Ships and Galveston Port

Class - Overall Length Ft* - Draft Ft

Voyager ------ 1021 -------- 29

Quantum ------ 1142 ------- 29

Freedom ------ 1112 ------- 29

Oasis ---------- 1181 ------- 31

Galveston Port Channel Ft

“Narrowest” Width --- 1200

Minimum Depth ------ 45

* not at waterline

Also see

photos on previous post

photos on marina web on previous post

Edited by ssb

The two cruise terminals in Galveston need SEPARATE entrances, one for Royal Caribbean, one for Carnival. Funneling all traffic through one stoplight with one left turn lane is beyond crazy. Sure, bigger better terminals and deeper ports are great, but they need to streamline the whole process, especially the traffic situation.

It would be great if the Oasis or Allure cruised from Galveston. I'm trying to plan a summer 2015 Family cruise. I would love for the fam to cruise on her but flying to Ft. Lauderdale is not an option since our home port is Galveston and airfare adds up quickly for a group. Fingers crossed and patiently waiting to see which ship they bring into Galveston.

Well, it seems the consensus from all the many different rumors that I have seen is that it will be a Freedom Class ship that makes its way to Galveston. I had heard this rumor as much as two months ago from some people who live in Galveston and had heard this being discussed by the port authorities.

But then, we all know how these things play out! It's all just conjecture until we see the ship pulling in!! :D

I have communicated with Port, RCCL, and ICBP about mine and many other cruiser's concerns about Ingress/Egress Terminal Area issues;

and our concerns about disembarkation issues

at Terminal #2 (RCCL).

There has been communication back to me;

and they say they are taking all the cruiser's concerns seriously!

And that appropriate measures will be taken.

I hope these temporary measures are provided now

for the period February 2014 to April 2015 before Navigator sails next week again out of Galveston?

Write to them also, if you have concerns

Edited by ssb

I'm just the opposite, I wished they do longer cruises out of Galveston. More of a Eastern or Southern Caribbean itinerary every once in a while. They could pair it with a shorter 4 day and do a 10 day then go back to 7 day.

My parents were told just last week by an RCI rep that this is exactly what Royal has planned beginning either next year or 2016 (can't remember which). They plan to add and alternate longer 10 to 14 day cruises to enable them to hit the southern Caribbean and possibly a partial transit of the Panama Canal.

My parents were told just last week by an RCI rep that this is exactly what Royal has planned beginning either next year or 2016 (can't remember which). They plan to add and alternate longer 10 to 14 day cruises to enable them to hit the southern Caribbean and possibly a partial transit of the Panama Canal.

It logical with newer ships, bigger ships, better ships, more willing paying customers

and more efficient ships. :)

Edited by ssb

thats exactly what i was thinking, because Freedom does great in Port Canaveral esp with CoCoCay which is too small for Oasis Class

What is the difference between the Indy and Freedom.

I would think that those that cruise regular out of PC might want a different ship